News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm betting on AWP. Samsung is on board so it's going to give it a lot of momentum.
Wireless charging is still one giant con though, because it ISN'T wireless (you still need a wire hooked up to the "wireless" charging unit, and wire + unit costs way more than just a wire, and it's also less energy efficient, so the EU should like, ban it for that reason alone. Nip this "wireless" charging shit in the bud before it has a chance to take off at all.

...Not that this has anything at all to do with orbis though, unless by some bizarre coincidence the DS4 happens to have "wireless" charging built in.

Wireless charging is still one giant con though, because it ISN'T wireless (you still need a wire hooked up to the "wireless" charging unit, and wire + unit costs way more than just a wire, and it's also less energy efficient, so the EU should like, ban it for that reason alone. Nip this "wireless" charging shit in the bud before it has a chance to take off at all.

...Not that this has anything at all to do with orbis though, unless by some bizarre coincidence the DS4 happens to have "wireless" charging built in.

I'd rather wireless charging not being in.
Added cost with close to 0 functionality.
I'm perfectly fine with plugging in the usb ports to charge as they don't really affect anything.

However I would have to say that wireless charging electric toothbrushes is a good idea as you wouldn't want open connections in your toilet so EU shouldn't ban it altogether. It has its uses in the right context.

Yes, I can't deny that what they gave us so far is totally useless, it's the nearfield crap. But I'm fascinated by the promise of having a coffee table where I can just throw all my game controllers, my tablet, my laptop, cellphone, mp3 player, anywhere on the table. As long as it's "on the table" it charges. The new magnetic resonance method is supposed to work that way, and it can be at a distance above the plane (the field is huge), and it can even have resonant repeaters planes.

Witricity's demonstration is an eye opener:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHXUW1TH8Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yrb7deve1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoULwXAdOPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDCR41huhQ

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem plugging controllers into wires still. I like keeping things straightforward and simple.

I'm more than happy with the current wireless functionality, I'm not too excited to jump to wireless charging yet. My charging wires are reliable, and I have no wish to part with them yet :)

I could get a wireless charger for my Nexus 4 too, but in the same way I'm having no trouble plugging in the the included charger/wire combo to any outlet. I'll keep my $60, thank you :)

I have no problem plugging controllers into wires still. I like keeping things straightforward and simple.

I'm more than happy with the current wireless functionality, I'm not too excited to jump to wireless charging yet. My charging wires are reliable, and I have no wish to part with them yet :)

I could get a wireless charger for my Nexus 4 too, but in the same way I'm having no trouble plugging in the the included charger/wire combo to any outlet. I'll keep my $60, thank you :)
I use the wired charger for the X360 controller in a regular basis. The batteries are unreliable sometimes, they seem to charge and discharge in an anarchic manner. Plus, the vibration is more intense.

On a differente note, a week ago economic, future analyst Pachter said otherwise, but Forbes says that the PS4 has more buzz for now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ion-4-has-more-buzz-than-microsofts-new-xbox/

Well, it's taking up space that would otherwise be wasted on the start, select and PS button. I think it's good to have, there might be games that use it in novel ways.

Otherwise devs can just divide it into extra soft buttons for less commonly used commands.
Now that you mention typical computer controls translated into gamepad controls, what about demanding PC games ported to next gen consoles? Can the PS4 run a challenging and exigent game like Planetside 2?

Read more in the original article:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/05/can_the_playstation_4_handle_soes_planetside_2

On a differente note, a week ago economic, future analyst Pachter said otherwise, but Forbes says that the PS4 has more buzz for now.
...Probably because the PS4 has been revealed, but durango has not. :) We don't even know the actual name of the new xbox, other than very very very likely retaining the xbox moniker on a basic level, while PS4 was gonna be called PS4 was pretty much a 100% no-brainer even before the reveal event.

Also, the light bar on the casing is excessively elaborate and would undoubtedly prove comparatively expensive to manufacture.

Nah...pretty simple actually...plastic light diffuser lit up with electro-luminescence strip.;)

BTW whoever made that render ripped-off my TRON themed SFF PC design...:???:

Electro-luminescence has limited lifespan. Anyway, you'd need two-stage moulding to make it look good/make casing rigid enough. Maybe more than two stages, possibly. Regardless, this would rack up the costs anyway.

Oh damn, you got me good, you reference patcher and a forbes contributor article in one sentence? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Electro-luminescence has limited lifespan. Anyway, you'd need two-stage moulding to make it look good/make casing rigid enough. Maybe more than two stages, possibly. Regardless, this would rack up the costs anyway.

The case could be one piece injection molded and still have the cutouts for the diffuser....doesn't need to be 2 halves assembled together. Electro-luminescence has limited lifespan just like LEDs...nothing new there. It's not as expensive or difficult as you think...

Also, the light bar on the casing is excessively elaborate and would undoubtedly prove comparatively expensive to manufacture.
If it's just a fiber strip diffuser it just needs a thin indentation in the case to be glued into ... what's the problem in that regard?

The amount of wattage you have to pump in to make it really stand out seems a bigger issue.

EL require a high voltage (100V) and must be A/C, so a certain amount of circuitry, an inverter. I don't think it's possible to make an EL panel with a controllable RGB color. It doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

A single RGB LED can be soldered on the main board and connected almost directly to the controller. Nothing else needed except a transparent plastic piece in the case assembly.

The case could be one piece injection molded and still have the cutouts for the diffuser....doesn't need to be 2 halves assembled together. Electro-luminescence has limited lifespan just like LEDs...nothing new there. It's not as expensive or difficult as you think...
Why electro-luminesence and not an LED? Stick a tri-coloured LED from Move behind a translucent V of plastic and it should work fine. You'd mould the case in two halves as is currently the case, and a single triangular translucent plastic insert, which you sandwich between the two halves in front of the LED.

Very interesting about NBA Live. That series has had many ups and downs... mostly downs (basketball fan here). 2K has taken it to school on several occasions.

The Live series had so many personalities... every year was a different style of game, and that wasn't very much a good thing... after 2005 it just started getting silly...

It may be a good sign it's sticking to next-gen though, hopefully that means they will be putting a lot of work into it being a competent game rather than managing it for multiple platforms.

I also wonder if the sports franchises from EA will become a pivotal point for exclusivity agreements to kick off the coming next-gen.

Very interesting about NBA Live. That series has had many ups and downs... mostly downs (basketball fan here). 2K has taken it to school on several occasions.

The Live series had so many personalities... every year was a different style of game, and that wasn't very much a good thing... after 2005 it just started getting silly...

It may be a good sign it's sticking to next-gen though, hopefully that means they will be putting a lot of work into it being a competent game rather than managing it for multiple platforms.

I also wonder if the sports franchises from EA will become a pivotal point for exclusivity agreements to kick off the coming next-gen.

I doubt EA Sports go exclusive.

We'll see how they transition. Back in 2006, EA Sports games were being developed for PC, so you'd think the transition would have been easier. But they released a concept render for Madden showing a much higher quality CGI than they ever achieved with their games on the current gen consoles.

And now, they haven't been developing for higher-power PC hardware for years, except for the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back