News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with MS online plan is that it affects everyone, thus the outrage. For some people, any game that is latency sensitive is automatically from their consideration because the infrastructure is not up to the task. Sony doesn't force people to use PS Now. It's up to the people to test (I hope Sony have a way for people to test their connection) and use the service.

There are a number of games for both consoles that will require a connection to the internet. The division is one.

PS4 slim october next year? The infamous PS hacker "wololo" think so -> http://wololo.net/2014/06/29/ps4-slim-date-this-is-the-likely-release-schedule-of-the-ps4-slim/

PS4-Slim-2.jpg

most of his base of theory is because the time between 1st release and slim release is become shorter each generation

If/when they do a top-loader version, they should make the disc cover... part a dark transparent like a turntable. :p

There´s no need to a redesign of PS4 until 20nm
What would be the point? The console is selling at a good rate, and it already has a moderate size, unlike X1

Sony will most likely want to push for adoption of 1GB GDDR5 chips, but their adoption will not cause console to be any smaller. Chips will just populate one size of the mobo, not two.

When 20nm APU arrives, then they can reduce footprint of the motherboard, PSU and cooling.

I read some... rumours? (or FUD I guess), that Xbox One chips could be shrunken down, but that PS4 GDDR5 chips would always be expensive and could not be shrunken down or something to that extend..

Is there some truth to that, or was it just your basic FUD? Or wishful thinking..

They can go from 16 4Gb GDDR5 chips to 8 8Gb GDDR5 chips when they become available.

After that it's unknown how GDDR5 production will go or if it will be replaced by a new tech. They can always switch to a better/newer memory technology as long as the latency and bandwidth can match what's in there now so that to software it looks identical (and there's an economic benefit.)

While GDDR5 will become more and more cheaper, DDR3 will become more and more expensive. Of course, with such large orders, MS has nothing much to fear.

What I'm most curious about is when can we expect to see the magical 299 price point. Sure the PS4 launched at a much lower price than the PS3 did, but there's much less opportunities to drop the cost as there was last gen.

It's a sure bet that they planned this carefully when they decided to use GDDR5 (or when MS decided on DDR3/4). Interestingly, Andrew House said the decision to have 8GB of GDDR5 instead of 4GB was being written off as about a billion over the console's life, which adds up to only $10 average if they expect the console to sell 100M. Today it's about $40 per console (for the additional 4GB), so either they expect that to drop significantly, or they negotiated the contract over many years, or they don't plan on having GDDR5 for more than the first 2 or 3 years (moving to HBM when AMD is ready?).

Very wild guess: the next XB1 revision could see a $20 to $30 advantage in cost, and Sony might retail the PS4 at $50 above the Kinect-less XB1, whatever that ends up after the dust settles. They wouldn't start a price war as long as they are outselling everybody else.

What I'm most curious about is when can we expect to see the magical 299 price point. Sure the PS4 launched at a much lower price than the PS3 did, but there's much less opportunities to drop the cost as there was last gen.

It's a sure bet that they planned this carefully when they decided to use GDDR5 (or when MS decided on DDR3/4). Interestingly, Andrew House said the decision to have 8GB of GDDR5 instead of 4GB was being written off as about a billion over the console's life, which adds up to only $10 average if they expect the console to sell 100M. Today it's about $40 per console (for the additional 4GB), so either they expect that to drop significantly, or they negotiated the contract over many years, or they don't plan on having GDDR5 for more than the first 2 or 3 years (moving to HBM when AMD is ready?).

Very wild guess: the next XB1 revision could see a $20 to $30 advantage in cost, and Sony might retail the PS4 at $50 above the Kinect-less XB1, whatever that ends up after the dust settles. They wouldn't start a price war as long as they are outselling everybody else.

Has MS ever shown an interest in subsidizing the cost of Xbox or even break even on the cost of the hardware? Perhaps the free Xbox 360 with purchase of a new pc reflects this but largely I don't recall MS doing much there. Sony too might be looking to make a profit on hardware as they need money. I'm inclined to believe prices stay pretty flat due to MS indifference and Sony's need to make money on hardware.

I honestly don't see either subsidizing the cost of hardware outside of PC sales bundles and perhaps gift card vouchers for use on LIVE and PSN.

According to Sony, PS4 is already profitable. If they manage to switch to 1GB ram chips, they will easily be in position to offer base console for $350.

And no one will jump from $400 to $300 immediately.

According to Sony, PS4 is already profitable. If they manage to switch to 1GB ram chips, they will easily be in position to offer base console for $350.

If you want to expand your market I think this is what you should do. And Sony has done it before.

Well, considering that even DDR3 just got it's first real 8Gbit density chips I wouldn't be holding my breath on GDDR5 getting there anytime soon (it got 4Gbit density barely just in time for PS4)

If you want to expand your market I think this is what you should do. And Sony has done it before.

Sony is in a different position today than they were in previous generations. Granted they have a lot riding on the success of PS4 but is that a reason to sell at a loss?

If I'm Sony I am thinking this generation got off to a huge success but I'm worried about how sustainable sales of next gen hardware are due to competing platforms i.e. mobile phones, tables, handhelds. I'd probably try and sell the PS4 for a modest profit and use some of it to reinvest in software and R&D and some to pay down debt.

Sony is in a different position today than they were in previous generations. Granted they have a lot riding on the success of PS4 but is that a reason to sell at a loss?

If I'm Sony I am thinking this generation got off to a huge success but I'm worried about how sustainable sales of next gen hardware are due to competing platforms i.e. mobile phones, tables, handhelds. I'd probably try and sell the PS4 for a modest profit and use some of it to reinvest in software and R&D and some to pay down debt.

Or sell it slightly cheaper, get more consoles out, reap the rewards from license big multi titles and 1st party games. And slap the competition around a bit.

EDIT: Focus must be to keep the momentum going going going, never lose a step, or the others start to catch up. It´s a relentless fight.

The EU PlayStation blog @PlayStationEU have tweeted 3D Blu-ray support in firmware 1.75. Wasn't expecting this before 1.8 buy I guess they want to beat Microsoft to the punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back