News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a component to this idea that wasn't stated? The only way this scheme works as-is is if there is negative-priced non-corporeal RAM. I hear that has compatibility issues with AMD chips.

Well let's not forget Quantum Effects !! Starting with quantum vacuum fluctuations and superposition with help from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and MS ESRAM designers we just don't know what could be done here :p

That's not what it says. It targets the "features" of the PS3. That line has nothing to do with noise level.
It should be very silent during media playback, it won't need much CPU or GPU power consumption and has helper blocks for decoding. There's a huge amount of power management this generation.

From the bullet points.

The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch

I guess since almost all of the bullet points related to noise I assumed that "ps3 levels at launch" had something to do with noise. Rereading I can see where I was mistaken :oops:

or the indication that the more power used the hotter the chip gets which needs a faster fan speed to cool it.

That's a given. But it reads that, depending on the resources the game requires, the power consumption shall increase. What would drive the power consumption up other than increased clocks at that point?

Of course the starting point might be 800MHz!!

An indication of dynamic clocks? 1.6GHz to 2.75GHz!?
I don't think so, surely a reference to extensive power gating deployed in the APU. I.e, a 2D game may run with a large number of GPU/CPU cores powered down and therefore draw less power than something like Uncharted 4.

The 2.75Ghz mentioned in that FCC filing is the speed of the PS4's GDDR5 memory stated in DDR format (double data rate). Actual speed of that memory is 1.375GHz, double data rate is unsurprisingly 2.75GHz and the actual effective speed is 5.5GHz as GDDR5's effective speed is 4x the actual clock rate.

That's all the 2.75GHz is or ever was. Obviously PS4 will see differing power draw figures depending on what type of game it has to run.

That's a given. But it reads that, depending on the resources the game requires, the power consumption shall increase. What would drive the power consumption up other than increased clocks at that point?

even ps3 and 360 games power consumption changed depending on the game. it wasn't alot but it changed.

Modern semiconductors, and GPUs in particular, feature a lot of power management features, if I run a game that does not feature much shader use, such as Skyrim, World of Warcraft and so on, even at very high rezzes such as 1440P, the fans on my GPUs don't spin up very high. However, boot up a Crysis or equivalent and they roar.

Console games will work the same way. In comparison, current consoles aren't able to dial back their power use very much, so fans don't vary all that much in speed and/or noise.

Ah lots of answers! Dynamic clocks, gating, and micro management of the dilithium crystals. So nothing much to see really :neutral:

@scf - The first picture from your second post has an extra " in the URL that breaks it!

Maybe the APU has boost mode that might take the CPU to 1.8GHz & the CPU to 900MHz.

It occurred to me that there's no direct record to HDD option. You get either the rolling 15 minute buffer (15 minutes as demonstrated in the latest screenshots) or you can broadcast for (presumably) as long as you want to a supported service. However, I haven't seen any indication of manually starting a locally saved recording and then manually stopping that session at a later point. That would be a nice option to have (IMO).

Why keep pushing for higher clock ?

IMHO, it's more important for Sony to keep improving the software and network services, especially their dev workflow.

It would be great if developers can change/experiment with new gameplay and visuals quickly. And still deliver stable and eye-popping games on-time.

Why keep pushing for higher clock ?

IMHO, it's more important for Sony to keep improving the software and network services, especially their dev workflow.

It would be great if developers can change/experiment with new gameplay and visuals quickly. And still deliver stable and eye-popping visuals on-time.

I'm not that interested in higher clocks per se. I'd much prefer lower clocks and more stability (and less noise). But I was just interested in the possibility that Sony have put that feature in as it should be relatively low hanging fruit.

As for the work flow issue, all the anecdotal evidence from various devs seems to say that Sony are leading the pack with their tools at the moment.

Modern semiconductors, and GPUs in particular, feature a lot of power management features, if I run a game that does not feature much shader use, such as Skyrim, World of Warcraft and so on, even at very high rezzes such as 1440P, the fans on my GPUs don't spin up very high. However, boot up a Crysis or equivalent and they roar.

Console games will work the same way. In comparison, current consoles aren't able to dial back their power use very much, so fans don't vary all that much in speed and/or noise.
That's some interesting info, as I am not into top of the line graphics cards for the PC nowadays. It seems to me that current PCs are much more energy efficient than they used to be, thanks goodness.

In regards to a PS4 upclock, it might be possible, why not if it doesn't affect the hardware at all? Thing is that the new consoles are powerful enough, moreso as time goes on and we learn more about them. I agree with patsu that now that we know they are actually capable -which is a must for desktop consoles nowadays-, software and good services are the key. Any upgrade within the limits is always welcome though.

On a different note, this is the new interface of the PS4.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/09/familiarise_yourself_with_these_images_of_the_ps4s_interface

630x.jpg

630x.jpg

630x.jpg

More pictures in the previous link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back