News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good eye. My guess would be either bottom facing with a cable guide that will lead out the back or side (and not currently in the demo unit there) or rear mount and also not currently in that demo unit. There's also a distinct possibility that this is not a charging station at all. :p

It doesn't seem to have any charging contacts..? Perhaps they are just the clips to hold the controller in place and it is using contactless charging after all?

The pics on the previous page definitely shows contacts in the charging station. So unless there's something else that would be transferred to the controller while it is in the charging station...

Regards,
SB

In the image posted right here on this board, in this very thread, there's a clearly connector in the base station mating to the aux port on the controller, so why are we even having this discussion in the first place? :p

In the image posted right here on this board, in this very thread, there's a clearly connector in the base station mating to the aux port on the controller, so why are we even having this discussion in the first place? :p

It's just that there didn't appear to be any contacts on the plug. It just looks like a solid plastic support.

Oh boy, Sony really have great low latency models. This 47" model has 6ms [if the review is legit]! :runaway:
I am thinking on buying a new native 1080p LED TV to play games on the next gen consoles but never paid attention to the lag input, although the info isn't always there when I look for different models. This one is too large for my room and my study desk, so I am looking for TVs in the 22" and 32" range, any suggestions would be welcome.

Some news... Sony say that going from 4GB to 8GB was a business decision:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...m-4gb-to-8gb-was-a-bit-of-a-business-decision

I wonder what could happen if they went with 8GB of GDDR5 for games and 3GB of a slower memory for the OS and its functions and they'd save money choosing that approach.

I wonder what could happen if they went with 8GB of GDDR5 for games and 3GB of a slower memory for the OS and its functions and they'd save money choosing that approach.
Is there a component to this idea that wasn't stated? The only way this scheme works as-is is if there is negative-priced non-corporeal RAM. I hear that has compatibility issues with AMD chips.

Is there a component to this idea that wasn't stated? The only way this scheme works as-is is if there is negative-priced non-corporeal RAM. I hear that has compatibility issues with AMD chips.
:mrgreen: What? I have never heard of non corporeal RAM. Do you mean RAM which has the capability to shift between a non corporeal energy form and a pure physical form being channelled into the main bus? That sounds like sarcasm on your part, I guess. It sounds so chaotic. Your definition could be well real, but I doubt that non corporeal RAM is real in any way.

It's all in how I wanted to word it. I just wrote 8GB instead of 5GB + plus 3GB featuring a cheaper, low-cost but useful RAM. That's what I meant.

:mrgreen: What? I have never heard of non corporeal RAM. Do you mean RAM which has the capability to shift between a non corporeal energy form and a pure physical form being channelled into the main bus? That sounds like sarcasm on your part, I guess. It sounds so chaotic. Your definition could be well real, but I doubt that non corporeal RAM is real in any way.

It's all in how I wanted to word it. I just wrote 8GB instead of 5GB + plus 3GB featuring a cheaper, low-cost but useful RAM. That's what I meant.

The APU design was done when they made the change, there is no practical way to put 5GB on the bus, 6GB could be done but 2GB would have 1/2 the memory bandwidth, plus I don't know what support the APU even has for DDR3 if any.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...power-consumption-media-performance-and-more/
  • While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4.
  • The PS4 will initially act as a stand-alone web server for the PlayStation App. In the future there’s the possibility of this to be expanded through the cloud, with the PS4 and PlayStation App interacting through the cloud, allowing cooperative play between multiple players.
  • The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App.
  • Power consumption will vary greatly depending on the performance of the game played.
  • The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.
  • The PS4′s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).
  • Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.
  • The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch, but will be improved through updates, for instance with the addition of 4K, as Sony is also an Audio/Video company.
  • The theme of the PS4 is “Personalization”, meaning that it will offer an experience tailored to each individual.
At last, they said something about the heat management ;)
But that's not enough. I want to see it.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...power-consumption-media-performance-and-more/
At last, they said something about the heat management ;)
But that's not enough. I want to see it.

Mmmm having the PS4 "target" the ps3 noise levels for movies and music at launch seems a little lame. I don't notice the noise but if there is ONE thing that will most likely drive people up a wall it's noise when watching a movie or listening to music ( softer passages at least ). I wonder why they will have to update this movie/music fan noise profile ? Decoding media would seem to be the most likely candidate for some low power fixed function modules. I guess the GPU may be doing a bit more work than I was expecting.

Mmmm having the PS4 "target" the ps3 noise levels for movies and music at launch seems a little lame. I don't notice the noise but if there is ONE thing that will most likely drive people up a wall it's noise when watching a movie or listening to music ( softer passages at least ). I wonder why they will have to update this movie/music fan noise profile ? Decoding media would seem to be the most likely candidate for some low power fixed function modules. I guess the GPU may be doing a bit more work than I was expecting.
That's not what it says. It targets the "features" of the PS3. That line has nothing to do with noise level.
It should be very silent during media playback, it won't need much CPU or GPU power consumption and has helper blocks for decoding. There's a huge amount of power management this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back