News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, so Vita TV turns a second TV in the house into a PS4 hub, basically. :) I hope this also means DS4 support for the Vita ;)

The downside of gaming mode can be an IQ hit on some TVs I believe.Maybe recent models are better in that regard now though.

And it should be noted that not all "gaming" modes mean better response time, some are just standard IQ presets (and do not disable any processing). At least this is how it was when I last bought a TV a couple of years back (based on 'net research and reading manuals).

Cheers

#2 Sony is promoting this using their best gaming HDTV with "0.1" frames of display lag
lFM2DlH.jpg

"低遅延 0.1フレーム" = "low lag 0.1 frame"

If they had known someone was going to gif the lag they'd have used a Samsung.....:p:D

And lot of people don't even bother to put their TV into gaming mode.

A lot of gaming modes prove out to do nothing once they are actually tested anyway. Basically a placebo.

I dont keep up with input lag so much anymore but it seems like a lot of TV's and I assume game modes are getting better. So nowdays on at least some TV's game mode might actually work.

What kind of testing method did they use, and what kind of input was fed to the TV?

Yeah. 6ms is suspiciously low.

That said I think this site (great archive) uses the Leo Bodnar device:

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list

It looks like those similar model Sony TV's beat everything except TN monitors.

Dont know if I'd overpay for a Sony TV just to shave a few milliseconds off lag compared to some of the more reasonably priced low lag models, but yeah.

IGN is VERY HAPPY with PS4>Vita remote play:

"game looks spectacular [on vita screen]", "no lag whatsoever", "feels exactly like playing with WiiU gamepad", "no compromises on framerate or lag"
:yes:

#1 Here is better gif of Youtube footage
nIjKDni.gif

8 frames, 1 frame per second. Vita is indeed trailing by 2 frames, but that is still good result IMO. We need to get detailed testing with 60fps cameras, including OLED Vita..

#2 Sony is promoting this using their best gaming HDTV with "0.1" frames of display lag
lFM2DlH.jpg

"低遅延 0.1フレーム" = "low lag 0.1 frame"

great post/find!

I would be best of to play using my vita instead of my (old) samsung hdtv :p

So the presentation in 30 minutes time should be more beefy than yesterday's right ? Or did I miss all the presentations already ? :-/

I would expect that you'll have 3 to 4 frames of lag, at best, if that video is accurate. I don't particularly buy the claim of 0.1 frame of display lag. It will most likely be 1 frame, if it is very good. A lot of tvs have terrible input lag, so for those people the remote play may actually be the same or better.

I think it's important to stress that remote-play has (judging by that Gif) 2 frames of lag over the television set, which itself will have some lag too. So indeed 3-4 frames seems like a good guess (if not more, depending on the television set).

If the television set is some old Samsung LED LCD model (I've seen TV sets with lag upwards of 150ms!), then it's not that good after all. The big question is; how much lag does the TV in that Gif have? Is it that model that Sony is promoting with supposed minimal lag?

Also, is Knack a 30 or a 60fps game? If it's a 30fps, then 1 frame is 33ms. If it's a 60fps game, 1 frame is 16ms (technically 17ms if you round it up correctly).

I think it's important to stress that remote-play has (judging by that Gif) 2 frames of lag over the television set, which itself will have some lag too. So indeed 3-4 frames seems like a good guess (if not more, depending on the television set).

If the television set is some old Samsung LED LCD model (I've seen TV sets with lag upwards of 150ms!), then it's not that good after all. The big question is; how much lag does the TV in that Gif have? Is it that model that Sony is promoting with supposed minimal lag?

Also, is Knack a 30 or a 60fps game? If it's a 30fps, then 1 frame is 33ms. If it's a 60fps game, 1 frame is 16ms (technically 17ms if you round it up correctly).

The TV is advertised as having .1 frame lag: while previous models have been tested as having only 6ms of input lag.
So worst case is 6ms, so vita remote play ends up at 2 frames at 30hz/ 33ms = 72ms lag: which is comparable to the majority of television sets that people have. So in the end, the lag would indeed be unnoticeable

WiiU pad has 33 ms of lag.
The combo PS Vita + PS4 should allow Sony to stay around that figure.
72ms of lag is terrible frankly and poor TV nowadays have, at worst, 50ms of display lag.
7 years ago 70-75ms was frequent but now it's really a rarity.

WiiU pad has 33 ms of lag.
The combo PS Vita + PS4 should allow Sony to stay around that figure.
72ms of lag is terrible frankly and poor TV nowadays have, at worst, 50ms of display lag.
7 years ago 70-75ms was frequent but now it's really a rarity.

there are still TVs produced and sold today which have 70-75ms lag, not 7 years ago.
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

And this is with all processing turned off, so the test is an ultimate best case scenario regardless as most people will have smoothing/adaptive contrast/ sharpening/ etcetera on by default

I dint'say that poor TV don't exist.
I said that they aren't many around...in fact there are only 5 TV in that list that have 70ms of display lag.
There are at least 70 HDTV that that have display lag below 40ms, more if we consider even monitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dint'say that poor TV don't exist.
I said that they aren't many around...in fact there are only 5 TV in that list that have 70ms of display lag.
So as long as no-one has a TV older than a year or two, no-one will be subjected long lag and by comparison Vita will feel sluggish...

I know two families that bought a TV within a year. One because they hadn't an HDTV before that, and another because their TV died. Everyone else is content with their years old, high lag TV, so by comparison with what people actually experience day-to-day regardless of the latest products on the shelves, Vita likely feels snappy.

All I am saying is that the average HDTV display lag is not 75ms and that most TV noways have much better display lag than in the past.
I repeat what I said yesterday: I expect Remote Play to best most TV in therms of lag, just not not every TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple of pics of the DS4 charging station. I don't think its been official announced yet, but these close up pictures reveal a bit more detail about them. First, they might not be a contact-less/wireless charging solution as I had originally anticipated. That said, it doesn't look like they'll use the current solution of an adapter mounted onto the USB port either. It looks like charging might take place through the small accessory port located next to the headset mini-jack (on the bottom of the DS4). I thought that was a ~standard headset control port, didn't realize power could also be carried through them (nor less enough power to charge a controller in any reasonable amount of time). I could, however, be completely wrong about this as well.

PS4-18.jpg

PS4-19.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back