News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This number also depends on amounts they are able to produce. Sony could aim for 10m sales, but if they are able to produce only half of that it makes no sense.

This number also depends on amounts they are able to produce. Sony could aim for 10m sales, but if they are able to produce only half of that it makes no sense.

Personally I think they need to make sure the games and services are there as well. Early adopters are usually more forgiving but if you somehow managed to have such a large install base there could be some issues. Ironically the stuff coming out on PS3/360 for the next year will in some cases be better due to developer familiarity with the platforms. We likely won't see PS4/XB1 hitting their stride for a good 12 months or so even though they are supposedly easier to develop for.

I hope they will manage to do it well. They surprisingly doing good since ps meeting. Mind you, they even managed to avoid leaks about new vita, vita tv and recent game announcements!

So a hefty increase on PS3 numbers, but not mind boggling
Not mind boggling compared to what? They plan to sell five million in a little over a month. That's about a million more than the wuu will have sold over the course of 14+ months. *Edit: I'm an idiot who can't read. Fiscal year, you said. That would probably stretch well into 2014 (too lazy to look it up). So unless last quarter of Sony fiscal year starts some time after PS4 release day it will be 5 million in less than 3 months. Still not bad, I'd say. :)

Yeah, they're not gonna sustain that rate of course due to pent-up initial demand, but if they do hit 5 million right out of the gates they're off to a great start I would say.

Personally I think they need to make sure the games and services are there as well.
Services, I don't think we need to worry. A lot of that stuff is already there to support PS3. Games, well, from what we've seen so far I don't think we need to worry either, and if PS4 becomes as successful as it potentially looks to be, then future supply of great games isn't going to be an issue TBH.

Developers and publishers will be falling over each other to release their stuff on PS4. :)

Not mind boggling compared to what? They plan to sell five million in a little over a month. That's about a million more than the wuu will have sold over the course of 14+ months.

Yeah, they're not gonna sustain that rate of course due to pent-up initial demand, but if they do hit 5 million right out of the gates they're off to a great start I would say.

Services, I don't think we need to worry. A lot of that stuff is already there to support PS3. Games, well, from what we've seen so far I don't think we need to worry either, and if PS4 becomes as successful as it potentially looks to be, then future supply of great games isn't going to be an issue TBH.

Developers and publishers will be falling over each other to release their stuff on PS4. :)

Yes but we don't want shovelware and we don't know what sort of backbone capacity will be there at launch for services like PSN. If consumers are struggling with slow downloads or poor response from servers during MP it will leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not mind boggling compared to what? They plan to sell five million in a little over a month. That's about a million more than the wuu will have sold over the course of 14+ months.

Minor correction - I believe Sony's 2013 fiscal year ends at the end of March 2014. So technically, 4 months, not just one.

Not mind boggling compared to what? They plan to sell five million in a little over a month.
Five months.

As ever, we have some great historical reference material unlike previous generations. The whole of the last generation is recorded on the internet...

Sony planned to ship 6 million PS3's by the end of the 2006 FY.
For reference, Sony plans to ship 2M units worldwide by the end of the calendar year, 1M in the U.S. and expects to have 6M in the retail channel by the end of the fiscal year.
And they achieved 3.5 million sales.

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley!"

Of course, PS4 is much cheaper and has a lot of buzz, so I expect it to do very well and wouldn't be surprised if it hits targets. All Sony's 5 million is telling us is that they can manufacture that many, which isn't really that impressive; not as impressive as I thought relative to PS3 manufacturing. But it may be they can ramp up production should demand call for it and hit 2-3 million a month for all I know.

Remote play impressions

http://www.gamesradar.com/playing-ps4-games-ps-vita-tv-lagless-slightly-compressed-experience/

Sony continued to shine a spotlight on PS Vita TV during its Tokyo Game Show keynote, talking up the little device's ability to stream Vita, PS3, and PS4 games. But how they would look, and--more importantly--how they would play, was yet to be known. As soon as the show floor opened we made a beeline to Sony's booth, and after getting hands-on with the hardware we left with mixed opinions.

There's definitely a visual hit when you're using the PS Vita TV to play PS4 games. We played Knack, one of the console's flagship launch titles, and though it looked good, there was definitely something a bit off. In a way, it almost looked like we were watching a YouTube video running at 1080p--it was serviceable, and looked good, but had minor tinges of compression.

That's the (relatively minor) bad news. The good news is that it played flawlessly. During our 10-minute demo we experienced no lag whatsoever. It felt as though we were playing a game running on the hardware, not a game being streamed wirelessly to it. So while you're not getting the full-fledged next-gen experience (especially if you're playing using a PS3 controller, as we were), you're definitely getting an extremely solid experience.

Well, so long as you live in Japan--Sony still hasn't announced plans to release PS Vita TV in the US/UK, despite using almost exclusively Americans in the promotional images and ad campaigns. Hopefully that is alleviated soon, since we're definitely excited for this interesting piece of tech.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/19/hands-on-playstation-vita-2013/

Remote Play functionality was similarly impressive. There was zero perceptible lag between PlayStation 4 on-screen action and what we were inputting on the Vita. The same sentiment applies to input directly on the Vita for the PS4 game we were playing: no lag, as if Knack were a game being played locally on the Vita. How this will play out with your own home WiFi is another question altogether, which we'll test more thoroughly when we get PlayStation 4 review units in the coming weeks. As of right now, it more than stands up to NVIDIA's Shield. If anything, it bests the Shield's streaming performance with zero hitches while we played.

Remote play impressions

Thanks for sharing, this is a feature I will likely use quite a bit. As I get older its harder and harder to find time to sit in front of the TV and monopolize it for gaming when the family wants to watch a movie or TV show. Remote play would allow me to play in bed without drowing the room in light which would annoy my wife. My biggest concern was lag but it sounds like they have done a really good job managing that.

The upscaling 'feel' is likely partly because remote play runs 720p, and the TV upscaled it to 1080p. Of course, there's still compression happening too.

Slowed down gif:
http://i.minus.com/iH3EKWV7mxZTZ.gif
Looks great, really minimal lag. And this is on Vita Slim, whose LCD presumably has little slower display refresh speed than OLED vita. But we also dont know in what display mode was HDTV in [gaming mode on/off].

I'm so glad that Remote Play is finally viable. :)

I still do not fully understand how remote play works.

For exemple (1) in order to use Vita remote play, the PS4 has to run the actual game?
And so, I have to turn on PS4 start the game and then remote play with Vita ?
In few words it is something usable only at home?

Or, exemple (2), I am at office (or on the beach), I have 10 min free before the next meeting, and I use Vita to play some bits of KZ:SF ?

Because in the first case, I really do not see why everyone seems so hyped about it.
You have bought a new next-gen system, spend more than 399 euro (at least you will buy one game), maybe you are one of the kind ready to condam every game that is under 1080, you are a graphic and sound whore with a 50 Panasonic Plasma screen and a mega TXH sorround... and then you play the next gen Kill Zone SF on the screen of the Vita ... ?!?!?

Where I have miss something ?

It's realistic for them to reach 5 million IMO. If what Pachter says is true, they probably have two production lines cranking out 800k units per month. September-March is 7 months. Figure they lose 10% from start up jitters and you're looking at 5 million. MS will likely do the same.

If you think about it, this is pretty much what both companies have been doing for 7-8 years - pumping out 800k consoles per month and pricing them so that they sell through.

Last edited by a moderator:

For exemple (1) in order to use Vita remote play, the PS4 has to run the actual game?
And so, I have to turn on PS4 start the game and then remote play with Vita ?
In few words it is something usable only at home?

Or, exemple (2), I am at office (or on the beach), I have 10 min free before the next meeting, and I use Vita to play some bits of KZ:SF ?

Because in the first case, I really do not see why everyone seems so hyped about it.
You have bought a new next-gen system, spend more than 399 euro (at least you will buy one game), maybe you are one of the kind ready to condam every game that is under 1080, you are a graphic and sound whore with a 50 Panasonic Plasma screen and a mega TXH sorround... and then you play the next gen Kill Zone SF on the screen of the Vita ... ?!?!?

It's very niche stuff. For me all second screen shenanigans are.

IBecause in the first case, I really do not see why everyone seems so hyped about it.

1) Most Vita owners are probably PS owners who are also going to get a PS4, and this feature allows them to play the same PS4 games on their handheld, getting even more value from it.

2) Vita TV allows some degree of portability of PS4 games without lugging the entire console around.

3) Your PS4 doesn't need to be on; only in stand-by. It can be turned on remotely.

4) You are arbitrarily generalising everyone as 1080p fanatics who can't appreciate games in portable form at lower resolution.

[redacted]

Remote play is a family friendly feature. If you're married with kids and only have one awesome TV that your PS4 is hooked up to and they want to watch American Idol, remote play can let you game on PS4 while they watch TV. It's pretty cool.

Basic functionality of Remote Play has not changed since its introduction in 2006. Its playable both at home and over the internet, and portable device can wake up main console remotely.

When you fire up remote play, you can stream entire PS4 OS and all [non-camera] games to your Vita screen. Remote Play is usable both at home [in your bed, toiled, balcony, yard, when somebody has abducted your big HDTV to watch spanish telenovelas] or when you are away from home [you just have to find good wifi WiFi connection]. With VitaTV, you can connect all your HDTV's into "local Gaikai network" powered by your PS4. Additionally, once you sync PS4 and Vita, you can disconnect your PS4 from TV completely.

All in all, its a great feature for those who want to expand their gaming away from one central HDTV.

I have a friend who is getting a PS4 just for remote play. He lives in an apartment and has to share his tv with his wife, who is not a gamer. It's a really good feature, even though I think the Vita itself is a turd.

Remote play is a family friendly feature. If you're married with kids and only have one awesome TV that your PS4 is hooked up to and they want to watch American Idol, remote play can let you game on PS4 while they watch TV. It's pretty cool.

This.

I try explaining it to folk with no kids and they just don't get it.

No longer is the main TV the only TV with PS4 (without lugging the console around) - now the kids can play the games on Vita or (when Vita TV comes out) they can play on another TV elsewhere in the house without disrupting the main TV.

For me it's a priceless feature before I even consider how I might use it personally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back