News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the angles, man. They play with tricks with your eyes, man!

I think consoles are too big these days. It makes me miss the days when arguments were about which was smaller between the original PS2 vs the DC, and then later the GC and it being a purple lunch boooooooox! :LOL:

Sony pride themselves on there hardware skill ...so form factor as small as possible is always at the for front of there thinking .
I'm not saying this is not for front for Microsoft to I just think both companies are working from a different starting point .
Microsoft seem to want a machine that just looks like any other device under the TV hence the black box could be any other piece of electronics design .
Where as Sony design looks a little bit more funky so you would know its a game console anywhere as they all games consoles in the past have a slightly funky look.

I wouldn't worry about reliability from ether Sony or Microsoft as I think both have learnt from Microsoft's Xbox 360 .
Now of coarse there will be faulty machines ( with in normal defect levels of other electronics ) at launch so expect doom and gloom on the internet when one machine or the other brakes down early its just the way it is .:)

I always figured Sony's design centered around the concept of distinguishing products. PS3 was smooth and rounded, so PS4 is sharp and angular. No way for consumers to confuse the two, as they're visibly quite different. Also, there seems to be some design cue / hinting of the old PS2 design - but different - to harken back to "old" Sony, before they sorta blew it with the PS3, and to rally fans by saying they're "back". It ties in well with their PlayStation Ethos conference and what they've been saying about a sort of reboot, return to core values thing and such.

Is it possible that PS4 has this inside?
http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/26/this-fanless-heatsink-is-the-next-generation-in-cpu-cooling/

I'm asking since the box is so small, has internal power supply and Sony doesn't seem to be worried about heat at all...

Box is small... because system is using less power than PS3 Slim. Cooling the heat will not be a problem. Expect one big slow working fan and good internal design that will enable good flow of air across all the major components.

I always figured Sony's design centered around the concept of distinguishing products. PS3 was smooth and rounded, so PS4 is sharp and angular. No way for consumers to confuse the two, as they're visibly quite different. Also, there seems to be some design cue / hinting of the old PS2 design - but different - to harken back to "old" Sony, before they sorta blew it with the PS3, and to rally fans by saying they're "back". It ties in well with their PlayStation Ethos conference and what they've been saying about a sort of reboot, return to core values thing and such.

Personally, I think the simple PS4 lines looks more modern in front. The slant also gives it a unique look.

In PS2 and 3, the vents are just slits and small holes hidden in the same black. In PS4, they are highlighted together with the ports in bold lines.

pPlIen5.jpg

p0BkvHP.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671749

According to the source, they are shipping over one million consoles from their factory alone, presumably for launch. Not the only factory producing PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
jayco original post doesn't say they produce 1m per month. It says they are shipping 1m consoles presumably for launch.

Those stacked cardboard boxes look much bigger than I imagined. Perhaps each one holds multiple individual PS4 boxes.

The box on the top left is probably mine :cool:

Those stacked cardboard boxes look much bigger than I imagined. Perhaps each one holds multiple individual PS4 boxes.

The box on the top left is probably mine :cool:

Yeah, they do look rather large.

It would almost seem they hold 4 PS4's.

But yeah consoles are always shipped in boxes of more than one, but it's often as little as 2. That's why I say these large-seeming boxes could be holding 3 or 4.

Edit:

According to original leak post, 90 unit per pallet, production target is 10k plus pallet.

That would mean that there is three PS4 in each box.

Kind of beats one box on a pallet into a paste! 1 million from one factory... Perhaps the 1 million preorders in America alone isn't wrong!?

Must be one of those authorized 'leaks' in response to the MS crate pics the other day :LOL:

Yep, just 3 days behind the curve LOL.

Kind of beats one box on a pallet into a paste! 1 million from one factory... Perhaps the 1 million preorders in America alone isn't wrong!?

Apparently a lot of people missed one of the two pics from MS http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2013/246/Xbox_41726_screen.jpg

I wouldn't get too excited over the alleged 1m from one factory. Even the sad 360 launch, they shipped 1.5m the first quarter. And that launch involved pitiful quantities. So you'll probably need 3X times that 1M just to have a decent stock for launch (but would still be supply constrained).

That said I tend to believe both PS4 and XBO seems to be in better stock position than PS3/360 were.

So it just depends how many else they are manufacturing. About all that tells is is A) they say it's more than 1m B) 1m isn't enough for even a barebones launch.

I believe it's 2 consoles in each of MS boxes, with 27 on a pallet = 54 per pallet.

Sony on the other hand went with bigger boxes containing 3 or 4 per box? However it seems a little taller, and stacked 5 high. Assuming 3 per box, with 20 on a pallet = 60 per pallet and less boxing required to boot. Seems more efficient to me. If it's 4 per box then it's no contest :D

I believe it's 2 consoles in each of MS boxes, with 27 on a pallet = 54 per pallet.

Sony on the other hand went with bigger boxes containing 3 or 4 per box? However it seems a little taller, and stacked 5 high. Assuming 3 per box, with 20 on a pallet = 60 per pallet and less boxing required to boot. Seems more efficient to me. If it's 4 per box then it's no contest :D

They can do this because the console itself is smaller thus the package it comes in will be smaller :D

Should have been expected from the day we saw the final form factors.

If it's 4 per box then it's no contest :D
Sony even has MS beat in the packaging department. :yep2:

They can do this because the console itself is smaller thus the package it comes in will be smaller :D
Yep. Of course, packaging can make a huge difference. Lots of empty space around the console can inflate the box size. It's to be expected Sony can fit more on a palette, more in a container, and ship for less cost per unit than MS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back