News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rockband used 7 and that was a pretty big game. But since there won't be another Rockband I guess that's moot.

I don't have the rock band set, but guitar hero uses dongles. As long as you can use dongles, you can have interfaces that use dozens of custom controllers.

First retail units arriving to a few lucky people

3bI0gXT.jpg

BTPIZ5iCAAAzhM0.jpg

(Top: Ps4 dev, Bottom: Sony Costumer Care Italy)

Very sexy device.

How come no Cylon eye movement ? Is it dead ?

[size=-2]wth is a "Sony Costumer Care" ? You in Hollywood ?[/size]

Heh, clever. They made it narrow, but long. So when you look at it from the front it looks smaller than it really is.

Also that second pic. makes it look really boxy. I thought the front of the device was more angled?

Regards,
SB

I have to admit, I'm not seeing the aesthetic beauty that others are seeing. It's a black slab.

I hate to say this, and really I don't care at the end of the day - but the look has already worn off for me. Maybe it is the black and the angles, it will be easy to hide on the edge of the shelf though so I will never notice it.

Heh, clever. They made it narrow, but long. So when you look at it from the front it looks smaller than it really is.

Also that second pic. makes it look really boxy. I thought the front of the device was more angled?

Regards,
SB

Yes I have wondered if it is too long to sit on other products, it will hang off the edge of all my AV equipment based on measurements I have seen. So I have decided it will go upright next to something where it will just blend away. I think that is how they stuffed the cooling and psu into the case, it has more room than most think.

The unit is slanted both in front and behind. If you look from the top, it will appear longer than it is. ^_^

It's about the same size as the first PS3 Slim (1+ cm shorter on one side, and 1+ cm longer on the other).
It is also 1+ cm lower than PS3 Slim, perhaps because the top is flat.

The PS3 Slim is a 29cm x 29cm square (less than 1 foot).

EDIT: Hmm... power brick is internal. Pretty good power density compared to PS3 Slim.

I have to admit, I'm not seeing the aesthetic beauty that others are seeing. It's a black slab.

You won't be able to see the details from the top and front. I remember the "details" (read: vents) are behind and on both sides.

I hate to say this, and really I don't care at the end of the day - but the look has already worn off for me. Maybe it is the black and the angles, it will be easy to hide on the edge of the shelf though so I will never notice it.

Yes I have wondered if it is too long to sit on other products, it will hang off the edge of all my AV equipment based on measurements I have seen. So I have decided it will go upright next to something where it will just blend away. I think that is how they stuffed the cooling and psu into the case, it has more room than most think.

Found an IGN video comparing PS4 with assorted stuff:
http://www.geek.com/games/how-big-is-the-ps4-consoles-size-compared-to-stuff-in-your-house-1567157/

It's only 12" deep, which is shorter than most AVReceivers by a good 1-2 inches. The footprint is smaller and is probably about the same depth as a Blu-Ray player.

It's only 12" deep, which is shorter than most AVReceivers by a good 1-2 inches. The footprint is smaller and is probably about the same depth as a Blu-Ray player.
Ugh, see what I get for going off early info and early infographics - thanks for the correction. I will still probably keep it vertical though. With the angle it will melt away and be invisible. :smile:

It must be seen from the Sony name...
I thought the console was more beautiful before, at the E3 presentation, as if there was a prior console which looked fine. Right now I am on the fence to be honest. It looks *okay* but nothing that makes me drool. Not that the other two consoles look any better though, my preferred design would be something along the lines of some consoles of the 90s.

News:

Sony are working on a virtual reality device for the PS4! With the financial backing of a very large company like Sony and their experience at hardware the result could be a very big competition for the Occulus Rift.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-go-big-with-virtual-reality-on-playstation-4

Maybe a silly question, but do those VR / Occulus Rift setups need to carry the same health warnings about being dangerous for children? Or is it different since it's just 2 displays really really close to the eyes?

It looks nice, nothing earth shattering, compared to the older consoles it's almost boring. Brings it perfect in line with the XB1 that also looks nice.. and just as boring :)

Stereoscopic 3D contents and glasses have health warnings for children under 6.

So far based on no real scientific insight, I might add. Just as a precaution, to prevent lawsuits for fringe cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back