News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UI is what I'm most hesitant about, in my experience Sony are not great at UI design although I really liked the XMB and was sorry it disappeared on the Vita.

However, what they've shown of multiplayer looks great and for me, the rest of the UI is about getting from what I'm doing now, to what I want to do next. If they remove most of the insane delays, like the time taken to start the PSN store, then download updates and populate the updates onscreen, I'll be happy. Probably ;) I'm really hoping this kind of stuff happens at night, so that when I go in, it's all up-to-date.

Yes, they need to fix the lag (like the current PS Store) while navigating screens.

Sony was frustrating to watch because they kept restarting from zero. Glad to see they at least inherit a little from XMB in PS4. I think people appreciate some continuity from last gen goodness.

Will see how they apply WebKit to deliver an interesting experience. By right, it should mean we can access our PS4 XMB on a PC/Mac also.

Do you guys have to wait for thumbnails to load when browsing DLNA folders ? Does your media server support thumbnails ? I remember PS3 will show them if a thumbnail file is present for each file, but I am not certain anymore.

I switched them off. Though it takes time to just load file listing. Don't know what to blame here.

Will see how they apply WebKit to deliver an interesting experience. By right, it should mean we can access our PS4 XMB on a PC/Mac also.

What are you talking about?

Do you guys have to wait for thumbnails to load when browsing DLNA folders ? Does your media server support thumbnails ? I remember PS3 will show them if a thumbnail file is present for each file, but I am not certain anymore.

I get thumbnails for all the media on the server. I'm not sure whether that is down to the Twonky media setup or the PS3.

The PS Store is HTML5 on PS3. You can rest assured that the x64 based next gen consoles will do much better at HTML5 for obvious reasons.

Yes, they need to fix the lag (like the current PS Store) while navigating screens.

Sony was frustrating to watch because they kept restarting from zero. Glad to see they at least inherit a little from XMB in PS4. I think people appreciate some continuity from last gen goodness.

Completely agree, I was very happy to see XMB plus the new UI interface.

Just a recommendation though... just don't use the PS3 PSN Store.... it's awful, use the PC one, it's actually very good.

I expect the PS4 one to be comparable in ease of use and rapidity of the PC store.

If PS Vita supports remote play, there's nothing technically stopping a PC/Mac from enjoying Remote Play.

Edit: PS3 remote play on PC It's officially supported on VAIO laptops and community-solved to work on any Win7 PC.

Wow, awesome, I will have to try that with PS4 going forward... it would be great to alt-tab between KZ SF and Natural Selection 2 and Dota 2 :)

I understood this :) What the reason to expect such feature?

Not in the immediate future but if they want to virtualize Playstation (a la Gaikai), the supposed web-driven PS4 UI would be a natural contender as the front end.

Gaikai was originally a web plugin right ?

Sony planning to reveal VR HMD at TGS

Sony is preparing to reveal the final piece of its PS4 hardware strategy at TGS by showcasing a PlayStation-branded virtual reality head-mounted display, CVG has learned.

It originally intended to reveal the Sony device at Gamescom but plans fell through at the eleventh hour.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/420136/sony-to-reveal-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-at-tgs/

Eurogamer

Sony plans to enter the virtual reality gaming space in a big way with PlayStation 4, Eurogamer can reveal.

Multiple sources have indicated to Eurogamer that Sony's VR headset will work similarly to Oculus'. Internally, the device has been demonstrated with Evolution Studios' PS4 racer DriveClub, with players able to look around the cockpit of a car.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-go-big-with-virtual-reality-on-playstation-4

Yes!

PS4 won't allow you to install games to an external drive. I don't know if this twitter account is legit or not, but if true it seems pretty stupid. I know you can swap the internal drive, but it just seems like it would be easier to use a USB3.0 external drives. You could have more than one for people who play a lot of games but want to do digital download. Bandwidth over USB 3.0 should be good enough.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/373623812681523200

I'm amazed this is the first we're hearing of it. As Rangers says, this is a potential game changer. To the extent that it's it's good I'd consider a PS4 myself.

It could definitely be awesome, but I won't get too excited until there are some impressions and they put a price tag on it. The pricing of their HMDs is insane. I'd rather see Occulus Rift support, based on the impressions of that device and the price for the dev kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back