News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
A benfit of an external drive are raid set ups

You can also go with something like this

hard drive enclosure

You can start with a single drive , if you need more storage you can put 4 4TB drives in it for 16TB of data or raid them for 8 TB of fast storage.

Heck you can go with SSD drives too if you want although I think it will be over kill .

But changeable internal drives are nice too.

It would be cool if Sony extends their Content Manager to allow backing up PS4 game and save in addition to Vita games.

Whew. Well, I made a mess of that, huh? I had no idea MB implementations were so hodgepodge for USB3. I just took a quick look around at MB reviews and saw that USB3 speeds never surpassed ~86MB/s and assumed that was the real world limit. Sorry.

Given the discussion, I have a spare WD6400AAKS lying around that might serve a nice and cheap speed boost, MS could also sell adapters as a monetization opportunity.
Testing is easy, they just have an option to cap the transfer rate in the software on test units.
Any external drive won't have to deal with sharing bandwidth, with OS services, though they might be using the flash for that.
They can also do a speed test as part of the installation/format process, but my expectation would be you'd have to work pretty hard to find a drive below the guaranteed minimum. It turns out that when you buy HDD's in bulk for a device, there are a very small number that pass, but have considerably worse performance than the average HDD in the batch, your minimum guarantee has to take these into account.
This makes me curious about what kind of transfer speeds we can expect from the standard drives. Obviously, you can't say, but surely developers must have some expectations for what's minimally needed for "next gen" games (infinite aside, naturally). I guess the calculus is probably dependent on the game type, with presumably open world games being the most voracious, but there's also the issue of access patterns and how that bandwidth is being consumed, right? I can't be as simple as, "What's the fastest drive we can get for 10USD?"

hard drive enclosure

You can start with a single drive , if you need more storage you can put 4 4TB drives in it for 16TB of data or raid them for 8 TB of fast storage.

Heck you can go with SSD drives too if you want although I think it will be over kill .

Doing RAID is IMO a bigger overkill than SSD setups.

But of course. Both Playstations and Xboxes support external drives.

It's just that Playstations don't allow users to install games to external HDD. So far only the recent Vita allows us to copy games out to a PC/Mac. Not sure what the situation is for PS4 game copy/backup.

The PS3/4 also allows the user to replace their internal drive.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=667437

Originally Posted by Major Nelson
The Xbox One will ship with a 500GB hard drive, all of them have that. The future plan is definitely to support external storage, much like we do on the Xbox 360.

My understanding is that feature won't be there at launch because the team's working on other things. It's definitely on the list, but I don't know when it'll come in though.

Penello should reconfirm. Man, those MS execs need to get on the same page for once.

Edit: Just remembered, no removable HDD in the Xbox. That plus mandatory installs don't play nice together.

Last edited by a moderator:

hard drive enclosure

I was comtemplating that type of setup but ultimately went for a hybrid SSD.

If you want to get a RAID system, get a solid one. I haz cheap RAID systems fail on me twice.

Edit:
Penello should reconfirm. Man, those MS execs need to get on the same page for once.

Edit: Just remembered, no removable HDD in the Xbox. That plus mandatory installs don't play nice together.

500GB should be sufficient at launch unless you want to dump a bunch of personal and purchased media to your PS4/X1 (like me !).

500GB should be sufficient at launch unless you want to dump a bunch of personal and purchased media to your PS4/X1 (like me !).

I never really liked the idea of having my console be the hub of all my media, since it'd have to be on quite a lot. Don't know how reliable they'll be after all.

I am however a pack rat on console downloads though. Upgraded my HDD at launch and still have most of the demos and videos from way back :smile:

Fast forwarding and rewinding video over PS3 DLNA is flakey. I would be interested to see if PS4 and newer DLNA nail it.
I use a Synology DS412+ and it's flawless. It's just the PS3's interface that I'd like revamped. I'm looking for the basic functionality of XBMC - TV show, movie synopsis and flagging which things have been watched already.

The UI is what I'm most hesitant about, in my experience Sony are not great at UI design although I really liked the XMB and was sorry it disappeared on the Vita.

However, what they've shown of multiplayer looks great and for me, the rest of the UI is about getting from what I'm doing now, to what I want to do next. If they remove most of the insane delays, like the time taken to start the PSN store, then download updates and populate the updates onscreen, I'll be happy. Probably ;) I'm really hoping this kind of stuff happens at night, so that when I go in, it's all up-to-date.

If I needed 16TB, it would be a NAS in the closet. The noise of the fans and the high pitch noise of 4x 7200 3.5 drives would be a bit annoying in my living room.

What exactly is DLNA? Some networking protocol? I still don't quite get what it is.

It's a protocol for media sharing/streaming. PS3 is a DLNA client, so it can stream video/music/photos from DLNA servers available on the network.

What exactly is DLNA? Some networking protocol? I still don't quite get what it is.

DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is a set of standards and protocols to allowing one device, such as a PC/Mac or NAS server, to act as a host and stream media files to a DLNA capable client device like another PC/Mac, STB, mobile device or PlayStation 3.

Depending upon the capabilities of the server and client, the client may not even have to understand the specific file format of the media files on the server.

Fast forwarding and rewinding video over PS3 DLNA is flakey. I would be interested to see if PS4 and newer DLNA nail it.

I think that depends quite a lot on the media server and the media container. Mpeg-TS and TP have been really solid for me.

I've got two qnap 412's each with 12TB in raid formation so that ~24TB is usable, one is running twonky media for dnla. I also have squid and bind running to do local caches of website's and manage DNS lookups locally. But that's because our internet connection is so dire I need to use every trick in the book to shave off ms for access.

I also have a freedom dual drive 4TB - dirt cheap and very reliable, though it won't ever win any sputtered competitions!

Do you guys have to wait for thumbnails to load when browsing DLNA folders ? Does your media server support thumbnails ? I remember PS3 will show them if a thumbnail file is present for each file, but I am not certain anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back