News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
On PS4 there are "only" 430Gb available to install games.
The rest is reserved for other use.

It's not much if games will be 50Gb each.
Why do you think PS4 games installs are going to be bigger than your average PC game installs?

On PS4 there are "only" 430Gb available to install games.
The rest is reserved for other use.

It's not much if games will be 50Gb each.

A 500GB HDD, under 1000=>1024 translation ends up with 465GB.

The system probably further reserves an additional 35GB or so for the system and various purposes.

Why do you think PS4 games installs are going to be bigger than your average PC game installs?

PS3 game installs are usually 4~5GB. Full downloads of full games from PSN currently lie around 8~15 GB. (stuff like Lost Planet 3 and Resident Evil 6)

PS3 game installs are usually 4~5GB. Full downloads of full games from PSN currently lie around 8~15 GB. (stuff like Lost Planet 3 and Resident Evil 6)
Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 installs were commonly in the 10Gb - 20Gb range, but 50Gb?

On PC Crysis 3 is 16Gb, Skyrim is 6Gb. GTA V on 360 and PS3 requires an 8Gb install. Where is 50Gb for PS4 games coming from?

From the generational leap in art assets? Max Payne 3 is 30+ GBs. Ni No Kuni is 30+ GBs. Uncharted 3 is 30+ GBs. The idea that PS4/Xbox One games will somehow still hover around 1-2 DVDs in size is, frankly, absurd.

From the generational leap in art assets? Max Payne 3 is 30+ GBs. Ni No Kuni is 30+ GBs. Uncharted 3 is 30+ GBs. The idea that PS4/Xbox One games will somehow still hover around 1-2 DVDs in size is, frankly, absurd.

I believe the size was mostly due to recorded cut scenes. How many disks was Max Payne 3 on the 360?
PS3 games also had dublicated files IRC to help BR seek times

Are you talking download sizes or installation sizes? Because installation size on the PS3 - with a few recent exceptions - requires HDD for the download package and space for it to be unpacked as well - so basically twice as much space needed for installation.

I don't know about Max Payne or Ni No Kuni but more than half of the install size required by Uncharted 3 is the 104 minutes of cutscenes; 12Gb for the 2D ones and more for the 3D ones. In future I would expect such extravagances of high-quality cutscene encodes to be curbed or only to appear on a the Blu-ray disc version.

If you look at the size of actual game assets, they're already in PC territory.

Don't bank on full HDD performance over USB3, it'll depend on the hardware implementation of USB3 in the device, the actual HDD and the software driver. There are a ton of USB3 HDD hardware tests, but here's one from Tom's Hardware:

copy_bench_img_read.png

It's quite a mixed bag. Obviously attaching a cheap unit to an Xbox One is going to yield poorer performance than the HDD in the machine.

Yep, USB3 is a mess on the PC, it's only gotten stable within this year. But 50MB should be expected, and i think it would be fairly easy for Microsoft to check the speed of the devices.

I'm talking about size on disc after installation. I just don't see how these consoles with 16 times as much RAM will miraculously only see their disc assets go up by ~50% over current gen games. It's just preposterous.

As for PC, my Battlefield 3 folder is 20GBs with no DLC. My Dragon Age: Origins install is 27GBs. Max Payne 3 is 22GBs if you don't count movie files. Bioshock Infinite was huge, too. And these are all games that were designed around the limitations of the PS3 and 360. Next gen games will be really big.

500gig is nothing imo. My PS3 has 300 gigs and it is quite full and I already need to manage hdd space.

So, booo for putting in only 500 gigs.

What about games with pre-rendered cutscenes in full HD at 60Hz (although I hope that next gen will get rid of those and only uses real time rendering)?

What about increased texture resolution? E.g. Rage 2 (all fingers crossed) with high res textures?

500gig is the 60gig of this generation.

500gig is the 60gig of this generation.
Of course it is! PS3 didn't launch with 300 GB HDDs as they weren't feasible back then. 500 GB isn't entry level, and 1TB, which still wouldn't be enough to fit on every game some people buy, would cost some $20 more per console.

The size of the internal HDD isn't really an issue as long as it's upgradeable. The lack of external storage is a disappointment for some, but I dare say a tiny minority. As many as that small minority would probably be disappointed if the internal HDD wasn't replaceable and they had to rely on an external HDD dangling off the console. The ideal solution of course is supporting both, but it's rare a product offers the best of everything. ;) One can also presumably archive old games onto external HDDs and recover. Not as convenient as playing straight from external, but it does eliminate the concerns of having to redownload large games again.

PlayStation 4 features voice command capabilities

Didn't this one posted here yet:

---

PS4 Eye camera will support voice commands, like Kinnect.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/31/46...ture-voice-command-capabilities-sony-confirms

"Sony Computer Entertainment can confirm that PlayStation Camera allows for voice recognition and we will look forward to sharing more details in the lead up to the launch of PlayStation 4 on November 29," a Sony Computer Entertainment spokesperson told Polygon.

During Sony's presentation at the recent GameStop Expo 2013 in Las Vegas, SCEA's group manager of retail training and advocacy Sean Coleman outlined PlayStation 4 features, including a brief overview of the camera's capabilities.

In video captured of the presentation by YouTube user lex1020 (seen below at the 5:30 mark), a description of the camera reads "From navigational voice commands to facial recognition, the PlayStation Camera adds incredible innovation to your gaming."

That simple bracket supports 2 HDDs. Only one is active at any one time (for dual-booting a jailbroken PS3 ;-))

In any case, the general idea applies. Once the cable is routed outside, you can essentially install any-sized HDD.

That's what I did with my PS3. It's running on a 3TB external drive.

I'm talking about size on disc after installation. I just don't see how these consoles with 16 times as much RAM will miraculously only see their disc assets go up by ~50% over current gen games. It's just preposterous.

I'm really confused :???: PS3 installs come in two flavours; the mandatory installs often required by the Blu-ray disc version, which are typically in the 3-6Gb range and the installs required by the digital version bought from the PSN store - and which are already in the size ballpark of PC games, or larger. But this is often because they include A/V assets like 1080p high-bitrate movies and a multitude of sounds formats for effects and music, produced for a 25/50Gb Blu-ray disc.

I'm not disputing game installs in the 10-20Gb are gong to be common, they are now, but I do query the assertion they'll be 50Gb.

As for PC, my Battlefield 3 folder is 20GBs with no DLC. My Dragon Age: Origins install is 27GBs. Max Payne 3 is 22GBs if you don't count movie files. Bioshock Infinite was huge, too. And these are all games that were designed around the limitations of the PS3 and 360. Next gen games will be really big.

Max Payne 3 is over 30Gb (here) but if you have a look, you'll see it installs a lot of redundant data like multiple resolution texture packs. Despite all this fluff it had modest system requirements, 2Gb RAM minimum, 3Gb recommended.

Watch Dogs is 15Gb and the recommended RAM requirement is 8Gb. The 9x increase in RAM for games of PS4/One over PS3/360 isn't going to be consumed by higher quality assets requiring much more disk space than we use now. It'll be used for better (more memory intensive) algorithms for AI, pathing, physics etc. Check out Guerilla Games Killzone Shadow Fall demo postmorten, 'Havok Scratch' alone is eating 350Mb RAM, 75mb goes to animation. There is, I bloody hope, more to nextgen gaming than just nicer textures.

I am thinking about DD games.

I believe most current digital versions of games sold on the PSN store are repackaged versions of the Blu-ray disc. The drawback to this approach is that when developers are producing a game for Blu-ray they can go a little crazy with the movie and music encode settings because there's plenty of space on the disc and if the data is only being streamed, memory is less of an issue too.

Hopefully we won't have an issue with PS4 like 25Gb+ of Uncharted 3's install being cutscene movie data, stored in both 2D and 3D formats. I'm sure folks who play games only through their stereo TVs don't want a gig of lossless DTS encoded audio installed. The PS4, and developers, need to be smarter about this.

Hopefully we won't have an issue with PS4 like 25Gb+ of Uncharted 3's install being cutscene movie data, stored in both 2D and 3D formats. I'm sure folks who play games only through their stereo TVs don't want a gig of lossless DTS encoded audio installed.
I'm sure the people with 7.1 surround system don't want low quality stereo samples only. All the different quality assets, or certainly the highest quality which can be downsampled on install, have to be present in the distribution. The only solution to that is selective downloads where the player chooses which audio packs they want.

Don't bank on full HDD performance over USB3, it'll depend on the hardware implementation of USB3 in the device, the actual HDD and the software driver. There are a ton of USB3 HDD hardware tests, but here's one from Tom's Hardware:

copy_bench_img_read.png

It's quite a mixed bag. Obviously attaching a cheap unit to an Xbox One is going to yield poorer performance than the HDD in the machine.

Those are all 2.5" mobile drives. They are hitting the limitations of the HDD's used and not the USB interface.

I regularly hit over 100 MB/s on my 4 TB 3.5" external USB 3 drive which uses a 5400 RPM drive. A unit that I purchased from Newegg for under 150 USD.

Take a look here...

http://www.storagereview.com/buffalo_drivestation_ddr_review_hdgdu3

The drive tested there has 1 GB of DRAM to cache reads and writes...

With a 500MB file size, the DriveStation DDR registered sequential read transfers at 241.16MB/s and writes at 302.32MB/s and large-block random access at 99.76MB/s for read and oddly low 22.02MB/s for writes. Then, with a 5GB file size, the DriveStation DDR posted sequential read transfers at 173.32MB/s and writes at 188.15MB/s and large-block random access at 57.14MB/s for read and 91.04MB/s for writes. Quite obviously, the DriveStation DDR did live up to the SSD-like speeds Buffalo claimed for file transfers that fit within the cache, though it stumbled for some reason on large-block writes. When looking at the 5GB file test that quickly saturates the cache, we see more typical hard drive performance as expected.

USB 3.0 is just fine and can get pretty close to but not match native SATA.

Regards,
SB

They have been publishing AR games and making AR surgical equipment. When asked about Occulus Rift, Shuhei mentioned that Sony want to focus on nextgen rollout first. There are unnamed R&D efforts but he can't talk about them yet.

I don't get any sense that they are showing apathy.

Companies claimed Blu-ray would die in 5 years. But it will continue into nextgen consoles. It is the standard for HD movie physical medium.

Last I read, there was false rumors about Apple wanting to buy PrimeSense too. But I think Intel is working on a camera sensing platform.

Funny enough last night there was a comercial for now you see me. It didnt once talk about bluray but only digital hd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back