News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I'd rather have the option of replacing the internal HDD. I don't want an external drive connected to my console all the time. 500GB would probably be enough for me anyway.

You don't want another box to go with the multitude of black boxes required for some consoles? :LOL:

Unless the PS4 can accommodate 15 mm HDD's (hightly doubtful) you won't be able to install a 1.5 TB drive. The largest capacity standard sized (9.5 mm or less) 2.5" HDD is 1 TB.
You're wrong, Western Digital is already selling a 9.5mm 1.5TB.
It's quite likely that for the life of the PS4, the largest size drive most people will be able to get is 1.5 TB. And that likely won't appear for another 2-3 or so years. Until then 1 TB will be tops.
I think you should get back to speed on what drives are available today, I can already buy a 1.5TB drive. :oops:

There's plenty of development with SMR, HAMR, TDMR, Helium, etc... and Seagate is planning to ship a 2TB 2.5" using HAMR in 2014. In 2-3 years after PS4 launch, we 'll definitely have at least 3TB laptop drives.

Even if 1.5TB was the largest HDD you could install in the PS4, why is that an issue? That's more than enough for local game storage. IF you really need more space for media storage, you CAN still use an external hard drive for any other storage purposes.

And you will also have your original BluRay media that you bought the games on, so the 500 GB drive isn't that much of an issue. Likely you'll still be able to have ~15 games installed without having to worry about swapping out titles due to limited space.

Wow, that is incredibly disappointing. At least for me. It's getting to the point where even if Sony shows me something amazing that is living room oriented (non-gaming) that I still may not get it. Being able to enhance the existing storage rather than having to replace it offers a lot more flexibility and storage.

The bar has been raised even higher if Sony want to convince me to get a PS4.

Regards,
SB

Let's be honest, you had no intention whatsoever of getting a ps4. This is just you trying to make it look like a problem even though you know that it's not the case.

Heavy users will buy a bigger internal hard drive when the current is filled up, I would guesstimate that a 500gb will hold 15-25 games.

Let's be honest, you had no intention whatsoever of getting a ps4. This is just you trying to make it look like a problem even though you know that it's not the case.

Heavy users will buy a bigger internal hard drive when the current is filled up, I would guesstimate that a 500gb will hold 15-25 games.

Really? The PS3 is the first Playstation I haven't owned. And my car (full Sony car audio from head unit to amp to speakers) and my home are littered with Sony products, more so than any other electronics company.

It was just as much in the running as the Xbox One (low chances on both) until this. I had expected Sony to at least match them on this, at least if they are serious about offering everything as digital in addition to physical. After all, over half of their launch titles are DD only with no physical packaging.

Regards,
SB

You're wrong, Western Digital is already selling a 9.5mm 1.5TB.

Eh, I just check their official product list "again," and both of their available 1.5 TB 2.5" drives are 15 mm. Both the WD15NPVX and WD15NPVT are 15 mm drives.

So please, at least provide some proof of this as there doesn't yet exist a platter with high enough density to support a 1.5 TB 2.5" drive AFAIK.

Regards,
SB

Really? The PS3 is the first Playstation I haven't owned. And my car (full Sony car audio from head unit to amp to speakers) and my home are littered with Sony products, more so than any other electronics company.

It was just as much in the running as the Xbox One (low chances on both) until this. I had expected Sony to at least match them on this, at least if they are serious about offering everything as digital in addition to physical. After all, over half of their launch titles are DD only with no physical packaging.

Regards,
SB
The included HDD space is not an issue for the majority of owners, and the inability to install games to an external drive certainly isn't either. It just seems to me like you're looking for things to complain about TBH. I mean if it's an issue for you, fair enough, but give me the ability to swap internal HDDs over the ability to install games to an external drive any day.

And you will also have your original BluRay media that you bought the games on, so the 500 GB drive isn't that much of an issue. Likely you'll still be able to have ~15 games installed without having to worry about swapping out titles due to limited space.

Agreed. And given the average attachment rate is somewhere under 10, i doubt its prudent for Sony to invest in memory sizes that an appreciable portion of the userbase may not utilize. Why bother especially when its cheaper to provide easy options for expansion.

Nice, I'll have to look into that. Pretty impressive that they managed to fit 3 platters into a 9.5 mm drive casing. And ouch, about 2-3x the cost you can typically find 1 TB drives going for. And the same cost as a 4 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" drive.

And instead of making a new post. There's no need to put the external drive in the same cabinet as your A/V stuff. Just stick it behind the cabinet.

Regards,
SB

Regards,
SB

Why didn't you expect Microsoft to at least match them on allowing you to replace the internal storage?

I started out with a 20GB 360, and still have one. At some point I was able to hook up something through USB and expand my storage slightly. At that point I already had a 320GB external drive that I had used for backups, but no, I couldn't use that - had to reformat the drive and then I could only use 16GB of that drive ... I ended up adding 8GB flash, then another, when those were cheap enough, but at the time that still amounted to half the cost of upgrading the internal HDD of my PS3 from 60GB to 320GB.

With allowing larger external storage, Microsoft is the one that is catching up. And yes, fully supporting any size external harddrive for the moment puts them at a higher maximum storage capacity for the first time. Being able to replace the internal drive however is far more elegant, in my opinion and experience. And with support for cloud saves, gradual installs while you play, and increasing download speeds, the issue is likely to become irrelevant fast.

Regards,
SB

What does the name on your Audio Equipment has to do with your console? And the PS2 is 10 years ago...

The possibility of storing your downloads on a external harddrive should be the least of the reasons to choose between a gaming device. It should in reality be 1: Games 2: Best Gaming experience. The option to install games to an external device should be way down on the list of convenience factors, right next to color choices and shelf space :)

Looking around USB3 seems to top out at around 86MB/s in synthetic benchmarks. If MS is allowing installs to a USB drive, doesn't that limit their best case drive access scenario to 86MB/s? Or does this imply that they have a caching system in place? That recently noted 8GB flash? I mean my storage drives on my computer are 5400RPM and they're still pulling around 120MB/s real world use case. Seems awfully limiting to me.

Are you sure you're looking at USB3 data? You should easily be able to pull several hundred megabytes per second over an actual USB3 connection, assuming your device can deliver data at that rate (meaning SSD, generally.) Only hitting 83MB/s would indicate a slow/bad flash stick being used, or perhaps an old 2.5" laptop drive.

Looking around USB3 seems to top out at around 86MB/s in synthetic benchmarks. If MS is allowing installs to a USB drive, doesn't that limit their best case drive access scenario to 86MB/s? Or does this imply that they have a caching system in place? That recently noted 8GB flash? I mean my storage drives on my computer are 5400RPM and they're still pulling around 120MB/s real world use case. Seems awfully limiting to me.

USB3 is a 5Gbit interface, it's not the limiting factor, neither would 86MB pr second be. I am pretty sure they are setting the minimum expected transfer a good amount below that.

USB3 is a 5Gbit interface, it's not the limiting factor, neither would 86MB pr second be. I am pretty sure they are setting the minimum expected transfer a good amount below that.
Don't bank on full HDD performance over USB3, it'll depend on the hardware implementation of USB3 in the device, the actual HDD and the software driver. There are a ton of USB3 HDD hardware tests, but here's one from Tom's Hardware:

copy_bench_img_read.png

It's quite a mixed bag. Obviously attaching a cheap unit to an Xbox One is going to yield poorer performance than the HDD in the machine.

On PS4 there are "only" 430Gb available to install games.
The rest is reserved for other use.

It's not much if games will be 50Gb each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back