News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... bringing PS3 games to PCs and Macs would be a good start (if it work well over WAN !).

Also, will games optimized for PS4 port and perform better on AMD PCs ?

I heard they had a round of streamlining in SOE recently. They would be hiring new network-type folks to manage the expanding network businesses (Gaikai, MMOs, PSN security and value added services, SOE services like Music Unlimited). Wondering who is the Sony network Czar over there.

Did they appoint one guy to be overall in charge of PSN businesses and planning ?

I remember Jack Buser was promoted to handle digital media but don't think he's responsible for the entire PSN ecosystem. Is Andrew House directing PSN himself ?

We already knew this for PS3. Same for PS4:
https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/373623812681523200

Answer is nope.

Wow, that is incredibly disappointing. At least for me. It's getting to the point where even if Sony shows me something amazing that is living room oriented (non-gaming) that I still may not get it. Being able to enhance the existing storage rather than having to replace it offers a lot more flexibility and storage.

The bar has been raised even higher if Sony want to convince me to get a PS4.

Regards,
SB

Personally I'd rather have the option of replacing the internal HDD. I don't want an external drive connected to my console all the time. 500GB would probably be enough for me anyway.

I've already got a 4 TB external HDD I can use with the Xbox One if they somehow convince me to get one.

I wonder if Sony will at least allow users to backup their game install files to an external HDD, like I can do with Steam games (so I don't have to redownload something I uninstall). Somehow I doubt it though.

Regards,
SB

AFAIK you can do a complete backup of the PS3 to an external drive and restore the image to a new HDD so it's exactly the same as it was before, but it has to be the same system or something. I'm sure Sony will at least bring that option back.

And on the topic of installing to an external drive again, you'd pretty much need a USB 3.0 external to get decent speeds.

Still not the same as having your 500 GB HDD (or whatever size you replace it with) with all your games installed as well as an extra X amount of games (say 2 TB) either ready to be run, or ready to be re-installed. I imagine that with the increased fidelity of next gen games, that it won't take long (2-3 years?) before you potentially have access to more than 2 TB worth of games.

Sure optical media is an option for that, but not only is it slow, but I really do not want to ever have to stick in an optical disk when I want to play a game.

Regards,
SB

No details yet. When you launch a downloaded game (bundle), PS4 will auto-install it to the internal HDD automagically. So it may be possible to leave the downloaded bundles in an external storage (however big they are), and let PS4 deal with the background installing/caching on-the-fly.

In 2-3 years time, I am pretty sure PS4 OS will be very different from launch. Just look at how far they have gone from day 1 PS3 XMB. :)

I have a big internal PS3 HDD mainly because I keep a precious portion of my family media there. :). Had 2 failed NAS storage. So I tend to spread/duplicate my media all over the place.

Wow, that is incredibly disappointing. At least for me. It's getting to the point where even if Sony shows me something amazing that is living room oriented (non-gaming) that I still may not get it. Being able to enhance the existing storage rather than having to replace it offers a lot more flexibility and storage.

The bar has been raised even higher if Sony want to convince me to get a PS4.

Regards,
SB

Not allowing installing to external hard drives isn't surprising at all. Why would you think otherwise? :???:

Replacing the internal HDD with a bigger one is a one time deal that can be done for within the first hour of you getting the PS4.

If this is getting to the point where it is seriously disturbing you, you really should re-align your expectations.

Still not the same as having your 500 GB HDD (or whatever size you replace it with) with all your games installed as well as an extra X amount of games (say 2 TB) either ready to be run, or ready to be re-installed. I imagine that with the increased fidelity of next gen games, that it won't take long (2-3 years?) before you potentially have access to more than 2 TB worth of games.

Take a game is 50 GB max (dual layer BD). 2 TB is enough for you to stuff ~40 full game copies on the hard drive.
500GB hard drive is also enough for you to fill it with 10 full game copies.

Full digital copies on PSN currently don't even come close to 50GB.
Just checked on Japan's PSN.
Lost planet 3 is 15GB, Bio Hazard is 9GB. Filling up 2TB is unrealistic to the point that you should't worry about it.

Besides, it's not as if you can't delete the games that you have no desire to touch after a while. They're downloadable/You still have the disks anyway if you wish one day to re-visit them.

Allowing to replace the internal hard drive is seriously a much better prospect than allowing external hard drive installs.

Last edited by a moderator:
All over the internets, forum warrior canceled their PS4, that is, the PS4 they never really pre-ordered :rolleyes:

History will repeat itself. The drive that comes with the console will be an obsolete capacity after only a few years. Think about the xb360's 20GB at launch, imagine it non-replaceable. Congratulations, you end up REQUIRING an external drive for the rest of the console's life.

I'll probably upgrade at launch with the new western digital 1.5TB, then maybe 3 years later with a 6TB HDD. Or that plan could change when SSD benchmarks appear. But I'd never trade the ability to replace the HDD with the ability to install on external media. For me, the former is an absolute requirement, the latter is a nice-to-have flexibility.

If this became a big issue nextgen, it would be an opportunity for Sony and partners to sell a simple adapter to route their internal HDD controller cable out of the box. We would be able to use an external storage of any shape and size -- if you have enough shelf space.

If this became a big issue nextgen, it would be an opportunity for Sony and partners to sell a simple adapter to route their internal HDD controller cable out of the box. We would be able to use an external storage of any shape and size -- if you have enough shelf space.

I think you can do that with a SATA cable and a power source relatively easily if you know what you're doing.

Yeah there is a $20 kit for PS3, but you need to punch a small hole in the PS3 chassis. An official one should be more presentable.

There is a risk when some kid unplug the HDD cable while you're playing Demon's Souls 2 though. ;-)

Personally, I prefer to let PS4 auto-install from an external storage. I don't think I would need to swap between many games. Most of the Gaffers stick with recent games when I tag along.

I think that may be overrating how much of an issue it will be. Most people won't care about their consoles and redownloading games that much. The manual effort to back up games... nay... the manual effort to do almost anything is not most people's priority when it comes to games.

The only persons who could be "incredibly disappointed" would be the ones who want to be disappointed. It's not worth fixing that kind of issue, it's just more of an uncomfortable and temporary draft than even hot air to worry about.

I don't expect any changes on this front, is what I mean.

The PS3 esata bracket was useful for some very specific cases at the time when the largest 2.5" HDD was way too small.

For PS4, we have:
- 1.5TB HDD available at launch
- 3TB drives in maybe 18 months
- 6TB in 3 year or maybe 4 years (cloudy the future is)

How many games someone needs to want always installed to make replacing the internal drive anything less than ideal?

All over the internets, forum warrior canceled their PS4, that is, the PS4 they never really pre-ordered :rolleyes:

History will repeat itself. The drive that comes with the console will be an obsolete capacity after only a few years. Think about the xb360's 20GB at launch, imagine it non-replaceable. Congratulations, you end up REQUIRING an external drive for the rest of the console's life.

I'll probably upgrade at launch with the new western digital 1.5TB, then maybe 3 years later with a 6TB HDD. Or that plan could change when SSD benchmarks appear. But I'd never trade the ability to replace the HDD with the ability to install on external media. For me, the former is an absolute requirement, the latter is a nice-to-have flexibility.

Unless the PS4 can accommodate 15 mm HDD's (hightly doubtful) you won't be able to install a 1.5 TB drive. The largest capacity standard sized (9.5 mm or less) 2.5" HDD is 1 TB.

You'll be waiting a LONG time for that 6 TB 2.5" drive, unless there is some new technology breakthrough that is applicable to the consumer space. As that would require a single platter 2.5" disk capable of holding 6 TB for a standard sized 2.5" drive.

And while TDK has demonstrated the ability to create a 2 TB 3.5" platter, it has yet to appear on even a press release announcement of a future product. And 2.5" platters lag significantly behind 3.5" platters due to the size discrepancy (at the same bit densities, 2.5" platters will obviously hold less data than 3.5" platters).

It's likely that you will be able to get a 2 TB 2.5" drive in a 9.5mm or smaller package before you can get a 2 TB 2.5" drive in a 9.5mm or smaller package. At appropriately high cost, of course.

It's quite likely that for the life of the PS4, the largest size drive most people will be able to get is 1.5 TB. And that likely won't appear for another 2-3 or so years. Until then 1 TB will be tops.

Unless, of course, Sony for some weird reasons has a bracket for 15 mm drives. And considering the form factor of the PS4, I find it highly doubtful they'd waste the space for that.

Regards,
SB

The PS3 esata bracket was useful for some very specific cases at the time when the largest 2.5" HDD was way too small.

For PS4, we have:
- 1.5TB HDD available at launch
- 3TB drives in maybe 18 months
- 6TB in 3 year or maybe 4 years (cloudy the future is)

How many games someone needs to want always installed to make replacing the internal drive anything less than ideal?

That simple bracket supports 2 HDDs. Only one is active at any one time (for dual-booting a jailbroken PS3 ;-))

In any case, the general idea applies. Once the cable is routed outside, you can essentially install any-sized HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back