News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
... like pause game. :)

btw, I don't know what that OPTIONS button has.

Oh I see.
I think you get to use the touch controls once you use home to bring up the OS.

But no, I don't remember any touch control that will interfere your game from a OS level.

Yes but did they stipulate any default game action if the game doesn't use it ?

Not that I know of. But I would speculate the answer is still no, since that would be extremely bad design choice at OS level. It's not only confusing for consumer, but also prone to accidental clicks when a game handles only touch/move events.

Not that I know of. But I would speculate the answer is still no, since that would be extremely bad design choice at OS level. It's not only confusing for consumer, but also prone to accidental clicks when a game handles only touch/move events.

OSX's touchpad gestures work across many games. If the game isn't utilising gestures itself then the OS defaults work as normal, e.g. triple swipe to move from one fullscreen app/game or virtual screen to another just works as it would for any other software so you can zip out of the game to the desktop and back.

It's not remotely confusing and causes no problem at all in games. These aren't gestures that anybody is likely to mistakenly use mid-game. Just like people adjusting the screen brightness or sound volume levels using the function keys.

I thought I heard somewhere that the touchpad button replaces the start button? So maybe it pauses the game?

Start key on DS3 does not pause games at OS level.

For DS4, there is an options key in addition to PS key (though meaning of pause may be ambiguous for online games.). The "start key functionality" for start screens has been replaced by "any key", me thinks.

PSEye doesn't have a monopoly on innovation. ^_^
While Sony didn't have a hit casual PSEye title like WiiSports, its PSEye implementations is indeed very different from Wii and Kinect. It is more meant for core gaming. The precise and responsive 3D control is in its own class, but -- too bad -- somewhat clunky.

Sony's focus on first parties and indies since PS3 days are pretty forward thinking. I remember some people on this forum mocked the strategy because third parties games like CoD, GTA were selling very well. Even though there was no major PSEye break, games from ThatGameCompany and some first parties showed us mind blowing titles.

They also pioneered advanced graphics techniques on Cell, such as MLAA, and heterogeneous computing. The big push for 3D gaming, while not successful in a big way, showed some of us what future gaming can be like. I look forward to try VR gaming next !
Beautifully said. VR Gaming though is a different matter, Sony aren't pushing it in any way, and in fact they seem to be showing apathy on the matter of new technologies.

The Blu-Ray for instance was an excellent choice for the PS3 but it didn't work out in the grand scheme of things so they seem to be focusing on what it works first before taking unnecessary risks and then maybe their R&D department will try something new, who knows...

Last thing I know is that they were interested in purchasing Primesense months ago, but I haven't heard anything new ever since. So perhaps they have something in the works, or they are almost there when it comes to innovation nowadays, but not quite. Not yet.

Beautifully said. VR Gaming though is a different matter, Sony aren't pushing it in any way, and in fact they seem to be showing apathy on the matter of new technologies.

They have been publishing AR games and making AR surgical equipment. When asked about Occulus Rift, Shuhei mentioned that Sony want to focus on nextgen rollout first. There are unnamed R&D efforts but he can't talk about them yet.

I don't get any sense that they are showing apathy.

The Blu-Ray for instance was an excellent choice for the PS3 but it didn't work out in the grand scheme of things so they seem to be focusing on what it works first before taking unnecessary risks and then maybe their R&D department will try something new, who knows...

Last thing I know is that they were interested in purchasing Primesense months ago, but I haven't heard anything new ever since. So perhaps they have something in the works, or they are almost there when it comes to innovation nowadays, but not quite. Not yet.

Companies claimed Blu-ray would die in 5 years. But it will continue into nextgen consoles. It is the standard for HD movie physical medium.

Last I read, there was false rumors about Apple wanting to buy PrimeSense too. But I think Intel is working on a camera sensing platform.

I have been trying to recollect and even did a google search about the PS4 game sharing options.
Yes, I know I can give my disc to my friend, hail the youtube video, but are they dropping the DD sharing they have on the PS3? Ie a game can be bought on one console and then downloaded on 3-5 others?

I have been trying to recollect and even did a google search about the PS4 game sharing options.
Yes, I know I can give my disc to my friend, hail the youtube video, but are they dropping the DD sharing they have on the PS3? Ie a game can be bought on one console and then downloaded on 3-5 others?

There was no info about that. But there was a mention in some interview that you can play a game you purchased on any console. It was said in the context that you come to a friend and play your game library.

There has been no mention of that, but isn't the current implementation limited to 2 other systems on the PS3? I recall them changing this about 1.5 to 2 years ago due to abuse. If that's the case, then I cant imagine they'd return to the more abused settings.

There has been no mention of that, but isn't the current implementation limited to 2 other systems on the PS3?
Two systems total, yours and a second, as it were. If Sony do provide a 'play anywhere' mechanism, I can see them retracting this shared game solution as unnecessary.

I don't' think that Sony will allow us to actually share DD games with other accounts.
It could allow us to access them anywhere, from any console without limits if we have an account on it but I am really doubtful that we will see proper share with other accounts.

We should be able to claim ownership to multiple PS4s. All the accounts on that device should be able to play games on that device even if the purchaser is off to work.

An interesting thing at this year's PAX Prime in Seattle. A LOT of games are being shown on PC with a PS4 controller.

It could be that Sony will officially support the PS4 controller on PC for this generation.

Regards,
SB

Sony has had an internal DS3 driver for PS3 devs to use on PC for a long time, too. They've never released it publicly. I will say the one thing that could actually change their stance is Gaikai. If they want people to start playing their streaming content across as many devices as possible, including PC, it makes sense to offer official DS4 support on PC.

Sony has had an internal DS3 driver for PS3 devs to use on PC for a long time, too. They've never released it publicly. I will say the one thing that could actually change their stance is Gaikai. If they want people to start playing their streaming content across as many devices as possible, including PC, it makes sense to offer official DS4 support on PC.

Pretty amazing it never leaked, while hardcore information about a "stack overflow" via a USB injection was somehow revealed. One of the most stupid decisions sony made was to keep that driver internal. It should be in their interest to get their Consoles controllers out to as a big an audience as possible and earn some money on the sales as well :)

I really hope they don't mess up that part again, and released a driver for the PS4 and PS3 controller.

Pretty amazing it never leaked, while hardcore information about a "stack overflow" via a USB injection was somehow revealed. One of the most stupid decisions sony made was to keep that driver internal. It should be in their interest to get their Consoles controllers out to as a big an audience as possible and earn some money on the sales as well :)

I really hope they don't mess up that part again, and released a driver for the PS4 and PS3 controller.

It would be nice to increase DS4 usage, but I sort of get why Sony kept DS3 a PS3 affair: They probably want to keep the Playstation experience on the playstation, whereas Microsoft sees gaming more like an ecosystem for the windows brand.

Gaikai may change Sony's attitude, but I won't be surprised if they don't publicly release drivers for DS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back