New TV (DLP)!!

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
I'm almost 99% convinced!!

This is gonna be my new TV. DLP, Great IQ, decent price, HDTV, HUGE (relatively speaking). Perfect!!

Oh by the way, if u guys know a better TV for that price (it's £1500 now more or less), please tell me!! I want my investment to last a LONG time. :D

Oh and i have a question... Why does it say "HDMI Output" if you click on "Connections" (it will show all the connections on the set)?

Shouldn't it be Input?

I opted for an ED plasma over an HD DLP. Oviously the DLP has a resolution advantage, but color range, vibrancy, viewing angle and such sold me on the plasma. I highly recomend finding a showroom where you can compare competing technologies before making a choice if at all possable.

kyleb said:
I opted for an ED plasma over an HD DLP. Oviously the DLP has a resolution advantage, but color range, vibrancy, viewing angle and such sold me on the plasma. I highly recomend finding a showroom where you can compare competing technologies before making a choice if at all possable.

I know it's just very hard to find those kind of showrooms in the UK, and then they only show crappy SD material so it's not easy to actually see what the difference is...

Besides, i kinda want an HD, future proof, especially with next gen consoles...

Hey, L-B, hope it works out for you.

You might try this forum http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/postlist.php/Cat//Board/UBB21

. . .which is just their Toshiba forum. You can probably find some people with real-world experience with the TV.

I've heard some DLPs don't do well with current generation consoles (as opposed to next-gen native HD ones), and the folks there might be able to tell you about this one in particular.

Understood on the trouble finding a decent showroom over there. As for HD and next gen consoles, having an ED screen really doesn't hurt as much as one might expect; obviously having a native 720p screen has its advantages but running 720p to my ED screen provides a very noticeable image quality improvement over 480p on the current xbox games that support those resolutions. Heck, HD 42" plasmas aren't even 720p but rather 1024x768, but due to the quality of the picture provided they are still considered "HD" screens.

kyleb said:
Understood on the trouble finding a decent showroom over there. As for HD and next gen consoles, having an ED screen really doesn't hurt as much as one might expect; obviously having a native 720p screen has its advantages but running 720p to my ED screen provides a very noticeable image quality improvement over 480p on the current xbox games that support those resolutions. Heck, HD 42" plasmas aren't even 720p but rather 1024x768, but due to the quality of the picture provided they are still considered "HD" screens.

If your screen can display 720p then it's not ED. it's HD.

The screen is able to accept 720p signals (as well as just about any other resolution you throw at it), but it only has 852x480 physical pixels which makes it an ED screen and not a HD screen.

In the end, there is MUCH more than just # of pixels that make up PQ.

LB - you should also consider how good the scaler is. For instance, if your area does NOT have a lot of HD broadcasting, you will want to know:

How good is that set with regular SD programs?

How good are the stretch modes (unless you're fine with black bars on the left and right - note that this generally bothers people MORE than black bars on the top & bottom probably because our eyes are situated left/right rather than top/bottom).

Id ask democoder what he thinks of the set. He might be the best source of info in this site when it comes to that stuff.

epic

DLP TVs have caught my interest as well as of late. They last a lot longer than traditional HDTVs. I've been meaning to upgrade from the horrible set I have now.

epicstruggle said:
Id ask democoder what he thinks of the set. He might be the best source of info in this site when it comes to that stuff.

epic

Heh i had that idea, but then i thought "Mmmm what is a guy who has spent more or less a hundred thousand dollars in his equipment gonna tell me about a 1500 quid set?" :LOL:

LB - you should also consider how good the scaler is. For instance, if your area does NOT have a lot of HD broadcasting, you will want to know:

How good is that set with regular SD programs?

How good are the stretch modes (unless you're fine with black bars on the left and right - note that this generally bothers people MORE than black bars on the top & bottom probably because our eyes are situated left/right rather than top/bottom).

Well, being in the UK, there are NO HD broadcasts at the moment. So i'm looking to buy something that is future proof, since Sky are starting to broadcast in HD from next year.
All the reviews i've seen say what all reviews say, SD material looks good enough, but obviously this set is not made for that kind of material.
I'm not too worried about SD signals, since i'll be watching DVDs (which apparently look great in this, even though they're still SD) and well, i'll just be waiting for Sky to start their HD broadcasts...

This is what I bought a few months ago and its been a jolly good ride for all the 1024 euros I paid for it. (through work, net price, no taxes :) Of course, it has a slight viewing angle and brightness/contrast issues with some very dark materials, but generally it has been great and I can recommend it.

More about the contrast thingie... Metroid prime 2 for example seemed unplayable at first because the image was so dark but when I bought component cable for my gc (not easy to get, big story for another time), the situation got a whole lot better with crispier image, though in the deepest dark world places I still had to change visors to see properly but that might be as planned by the gamedevs too :)

That LG page doesn't seem to address the hd specs of the particular tv at all though so... it has two component ypbpr ins to handle hd material, it is compatible with 720p and 1080i, both of which seem to work nicely with games as tested with my xbox. In fact, I have only tested mx vs atv and xbox homebrew port of quake 2 so far, but today I will test MLB2005. (Finally, how come it takes so long to get good baseball action around here?)
The former two are 1080i games while MLB is 720p only.

If you want 1080p though, you will need to look elsewhere.

Heh, 1080p aint gonna happen anytime soon here.
HD broadcasts aint even started, and when they do, it's gonna be 720p.
Next gen consoles will be mostly 720p, and if even PS3 outputs 1080p, my TV will just downconvert it to 1080i. not a huge difference.
Besides, 1080p sets will be impossibly expensive here when they arrive from the States.

london-boy said:
Crisidelm said:
I still cherish my tritube :)

Whaddat?

PJ%20on%20ceiling.JPG

Back