New terribly half-done feature in Vista

I've been playing around with Vista Ultimate for a while now, and one feature I fell in love with at first sight was Tags. But! I soon found out it applied only to photos, you cannot tag your folders, and other kinds of files. What kind of shit is that?

Was it so difficult for Microsoft to make this feature available for all files? :mad:

I've been playing around with Vista Ultimate for a while now, and one feature I fell in love with at first sight was Tags. But! I soon found out it applied only to photos, you cannot tag your folders, and other kinds of files. What kind of shit is that?

Was it so difficult for Microsoft to make this feature available for all files? :mad:

Thats not the case... You can "tag" music, movies, pictures, mail files etc. You can also do a search then save that search as folders for future use. In fact the "saved search folders"/Virtual Folders are dynamic in that if you add a new file that fits that criteria of your search, it will automatically show up in that "saved search folder"/Virtual Folders.

Thats not the case... You can "tag" music, movies, pictures, mail files etc. You can also do a search then save that search as folders for future use. In fact the "saved search folders"/Virtual Folders are dynamic in that if you add a new file that fits that criteria of your search, it will automatically show up in that "saved search folder"/Virtual Folders.

I know you can search, I know you can save your search and I know that it's dynamic.

But please tell me how to tag an mp3 or avi file, or a folder for that matter.

I know you can search, I know you can save your search and I know that it's dynamic.

But please tell me how to tag an mp3 or avi file, or a folder for that matter.

Try using Windows Photo Gallery to tag... I cannot give you the appropriate steps at the moment. Though you can try looking for the option from there.

So you must use Windows PHOTO Gallery to tag MUSIC? :oops:

Windows Photo Gallery can also play videos too (at least it does on my Vista RC2 setup).

They should have renamed it Windows Media Gallery, and then come up with some sort of colour coding to differentiate between file types.

So you must use Windows PHOTO Gallery to tag MUSIC? :oops:

Yes. I was kind of pissed that they gave it that feature. Mainly because I used to use the old one(different name) to scan my many HDDs for pictures. Now when I try to do that (in Vista) it opens all the media instead of just the images.

Jpeg has embedded EXIF Tags, MP3 ID3v2.
It doesnt seems to me like Vista is responsible for adding tags to files, its more like some special fileformats have that feature and Vista can change those tags

They definitely should have renamed the app to be Windows Media Gallery instead. How confusing.

I have now tried everything possible. :D

The photo gallery can also play videos, but not music. You can tag videos there, and you can search them using tags within the gallery. The problem is you cannot search your videos using tags from the explorer or my computer, only for photos.

Music can ofcourse be edited from anywhere, but just like you said, it seems it is not a Vista feature, but specific to jpegs.

Anyways, it's a mess...too bad.

Back