New Splinter Cell 4 pics

drpepper said:
No one's really answered my question. Do you still have those 3 bright green lights on your head, and does the enemy AI not respond to that?

Yup. Still there, no they do not respond, it's called a trademark. The AI in every other instance is extremely good, they notice everything. If I boot up a PC, and forget to turn it off when I'm done, the AI will notice. They form impromptu search teams, they have flashlights, they talk to eachother.

You seriously wouldn't buy the best stealth game on the market, which has arguably better graphics than any game this generation on any platform, because he has 3 green dots on his head....

btw, you're assuming just because the player can see it, the AI can see it. Maybe it's not really visible to the human eye, but the game allows the player to see it? Yep...that's completely plausible

Last edited by a moderator:
thats for you to see only so you know what direction your facing in the complete darkness without NV gogs, thats what someone else told me it makes sence.

c0_re said:
thats for you to see only so you know what direction your facing in the complete darkness without NV gogs, thats what someone else told me it makes sence.

Yah, that explanation makes sense. Still, I lost the sense of immersion when that happens and it's that attention to detail that is lacking. Perhaps Ubisoft should allow you to turn it on/off. Leaving you NVG on should surely drain the batteries.

scooby_dooby said:
Yup. Still there, no they do not respond, it's called a trademark. The AI in every other instance is extremely good, they notice everything. If I boot up a PC, and forget to turn it off when I'm done, the AI will notice. They form impromptu search teams, they have flashlights, they talk to eachother.

You seriously wouldn't buy the best stealth game on the market, which has arguably better graphics than any game this generation on any platform, because he has 3 green dots on his head....

btw, you're assuming just because the player can see it, the AI can see it. Maybe it's not really visible to the human eye, but the game allows the player to see it? Yep...that's completely plausible

Yes, I'm sure the AI for every other thing is good, again, it's the attention to detail that irks me.

Offtopic:
Another thing that turns me off is that it's a Tom Clancy franhcise, I'm so sick of him. He's the Stephen King of world espionage. And worse, he lends his name to everyting. I heard the SC novel was a joke. Basically a novel of Sam Fisher going on and on about his equipment.

Attention to detail. Right. I'm sure once the game went gold, somebody at Ubi went, "Goddammit, we forgot to get rid of those dots on his head. Oops." It's not supposed to be visible to the enemy AI, It's just a point of reference for when you're creeping around in the dark, just like the little light-up thingy on Sam's back.

Inane_Dork said:
I'm just repeating what I've read several times. I have no idea whether it's true or not.
You heard right, the framerate does get fairly hairy at times on the Xbox, and in coop mode it can get downright absurd. heck the game didn't even have vsync and that and widescreen probably never made it in just to keep the frameate from beeing even worse.

Also there was far more ailsing in SC3 on the Xbox than what is shown in those SC4 shots. Check out some pics and see for yourself.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/splintercell3/screenindex.html

drpepper said:
Yes, I'm sure the AI for every other thing is good, again, it's the attention to detail that irks me.
The triangle of green dots are there so the player can see where Sam is, not the AI. This is a console game we're talking about, you know.

kyleb said:
and widescreen probably never made it in just to keep the frameate from beeing even worse.

Has widescreen on mine...

Inane_Dork said:
The triangle of green dots are there so the player can see where Sam is, not the AI. This is a console game we're talking about, you know.

yup. Night vision goggles don't actually emit the green light.

Looking good.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised when they are impressed by new games on "old" hardware? It's refreshing to see progress on equipment many of us already own and it not always being a carrot to buy new systems. I thought SC:CT was pushing it on Xbox and PS2, but this looks like it may best it. Let's hope it plays well and carries a story.

BTW, after seeing this I am expecting a lot from Fisher on next-gen consoles.;)

Looks incredible...Xbox is really hitting its peak this year, it seems. Too bad M$ has a bottom line to worry about. I'm getting this feeling that as next gen approaches, devs are being more creative about getting maximal image quality out of current hardware more and more.

Alstrong said:
Has widescreen on mine...
Yeah, it does for singleplayer and coop, I forgot I had played both in widescreen on my Xbox. I just got confused because multiplayer doesn't support widescreen and the first two didn't at all, so I had wrote off the series as no-widescreen games. But I stand by my comments on the framerate, some spots like opproaching the lighthouse on the first level got very rough, even playing normal 4:3.

fearsomepirate said:
I'm getting this feeling that as next gen approaches, devs are being more creative about getting maximal image quality out of current hardware more and more.

No that's just the natural progression of the Xbox. If the 360 were to come out in 2007 the graphics for the Xbox would still look this good.

Back