New sony controller ?

rabidrabbit said:
Never had problems coordinating with the many buttons of DS.
Well maybe at the beginning I too had trouble locating and using the four shoulder buttons (did the original DS just have two?) but I must have developed my fingering cordination skills.That's why I suggested that the remaining fingers should also be put to use.
Maybe I should try accordion next.

.... Errr....

i think the PS1 DS only had one shoulder button on each side.

What took some time getting used to for me was that i never remembered on which side was the SQUARE and which side was the CIRCLE... it just wouldn't sink in...

same here, it was n't until I came up with some memorizing technique (which I've forgotten) that helped me remember which is square and which is circle that got it in my head, now it comes naturally.

Oh, and the PS original controler wasn't called Dual Shock, the one without analogs.

Nick Laslett said:
Npl said:
the left Analog Stick is 98% unused

What does that statement mean?

Does it mean that the left analog stick is only used for 2% of play time?

Or do you mean the right stick?

I use the left stick to play every PS2 game I own.

The right stick gets about 50% usage for things like camera control, acceleration/breaking, dodge moves, etc.

I'm confused by your statement.

Doh, I meant the right Stick. I definitly wouldnt mind if it would be replaced, or left out.

london-boy said:
rabidrabbit said:
Never had problems coordinating with the many buttons of DS.
Well maybe at the beginning I too had trouble locating and using the four shoulder buttons (did the original DS just have two?) but I must have developed my fingering cordination skills.That's why I suggested that the remaining fingers should also be put to use.
Maybe I should try accordion next.

.... Errr....

i think the PS1 DS only had one shoulder button on each side.

Even the very first Playstation controller had 4 shoulder buttons, just like DS2

[quote="NplDoh, I meant the right Stick. I definitly wouldnt mind if it would be replaced, or left out.[/quote]
I see the right stick could be very useful if devs had some ingenuity. There's certainly some gameplay I can think of that would be ideal and intuitive for two sticks.

Shifty Geezer said:
I see the right stick could be very useful if devs had some ingenuity. There's certainly some gameplay I can think of that would be ideal and intuitive for two sticks.
It works well enough for throttle and braking in racing games.

[rant]I hate DS/DS2 controllers. When I got my PS2, I sold my DS2 and used a $6 3rd party controller instead. I feel the "button d-pad" is the most assenine design decision ever (WTG, Ken! Form over function :rolleyes: ), and the size and shape of it is ideal only for causing hand cramps and eventual carpal tunnel syndrome. The curves can only fit naturally in the hands of someone with a birth defect or people that lost parts of their hands in industrial accidents.[/rant]

Personally i hope Sony ditches the stupid potentiometer type sticks and goes for a Dreamcast type magnetic sensor pickup type setup. When i had a Playstation i always hated doing the double stick shuffle to get the crud out of the system and calibrate.

jvd said:
Theres nothing wrong with the Dualshock 2, why change it.
becaues according to the law it is illegal for them to continue making it as is and has been for some time

No. It's illegal to continue using the architure patented by the company that makes the controller vibrate. Everything else belongs to Sony. Once the motor and weight is removed, the problems will be solved.

No. It's illegal to continue using the architure patented by the company that makes the controller vibrate. Everything else belongs to Sony. Once the motor and weight is removed, the problems will be solved.

and it will no longer be as is , will it .

Why are you saying exactly what i said .

However depdning on how its done the new shock may or may not work. They might also have to find a shock tech that is not patented . Plus they have to play what 80 million to this other company .

Rumbles are rubbish. Not the slightest bit 'realistic'. The only game I ever used it on was Driver as it was an alert for when the cops spotted you. In every other game I switch it off.

If you don't have proper force-feedback, resisting your motion, there's no suitable alternative so you may as well not waste your time.

I would just like to say that the rumble 'feature' is the most retarded thing ever. Oh my! My controller is shaking! That just upped the immersion by an infinite amount!

I like rumble. I think any feedback, especially something not visual, is interesting.

I don't like the dual shock because its analog sticks are too tall and not 'grippy' enough. I love all the buttons. The shape is good, but it isn't as comfortable as the Xbox or GCN controllers imo.

Personally, I would prefer Sony to just stick with the Dual Shock controller. Maybe make it a bit bigger and enhance its functionality by adding a scroll-wheel or a trackball - but all in all, I've always loved it and I hope they don't change too much (if they do).

While I just thought about it, what would you say to a DualShock in which the right analog stick is replaced by a small trackball? I'd figure you could use that small trackball in games like FPS to aim, while you still use the left as a directional pad to move around your character. The triggers would be the R1 and R2 shoulder-buttons. I think I might actually like such a thing and I think it would be quite confortable to use as well.

Thoughts?

Phil said:
While I just thought about it, what would you say to a DualShock in which the right analog stick is replaced by a small trackball? I'd figure you could use that small trackball in games like FPS to aim, while you still use the left as a directional pad to move around your character.

Could work. As long as its big enough to be precise (diameter at very least twice the Stick), placed well and the right "heel" of the DS would be changed to fit the palm of my hand when accessing the trackball....

Npl said:
Phil said:
While I just thought about it, what would you say to a DualShock in which the right analog stick is replaced by a small trackball? I'd figure you could use that small trackball in games like FPS to aim, while you still use the left as a directional pad to move around your character.

Could work. As long as its big enough to be precise (diameter at very least twice the Stick), placed well and the right "heel" of the DS would be changed to fit the palm of my hand when accessing the trackball....

IMO there is so need for it actually. In a sense, analog sticks are just like trackballs that don't need to be spinned. And I hardly believe that having to spin a ball with the right (or left) thumb gives you more control on anything. Actually it's the opposite. If it's not "tight" enough, the ball could keep moving when you lift the finger (BAD). If it's tight enough it's really just like the analogue stick minus the auto centre. I think a "well done" analogue stick is the best solution.

Well, it gotta to be big tho. And based on my exp with the DS touchscreen (or my laptop touchpad) I can hardly see myslef happy with that. :/

BTW, what's wrong with the stick all of a sudden? I don't mean the Dual Shock stick specifically.

TTP said:
Well, it gotta to be big tho. And based on my exp with the DS touchscreen (or my laptop touchpad) I can hardly see myslef happy with that. :/

BTW, what's wrong with the stick all of a sudden? I don't mean the Dual Shock stick specifically.

A trackball (or anything that might give you the precision of a mouse) gives you a lot more precision than a stick ever will. Especially the DS ones.

The difference is most evident in FPS games, personally i just can't play FPS on consoles, and lots of people feel the same.

But I think the mouse precision comes from the fact that you use the whole hand on it rather than from the technology itself (try using your mouse with the thumb for a quick "proof"). A "thumb-size" trackball can be less precise than you think it might be.

Back