New Shuttle PC

l15741

Newcomer
I think it's about time for my next PC, I have a REALLY old one I wana replace. It's doing some minor gaming, and it will be used alot because it's the one in the common area of the house.

So heres what I'm thinking....

Total Price:
(USD) $1219.44

CPU:
3.4 GHZ P4

Ram:
PC-2700

Hard drive:
Hitachi 250 GB UATA100 7200 RPM

DVD Burner:
12x Artek DVD +/- Drive

Case:
Shuttle SB75G2

Graphics:
ATI 9600 Pro

A little expensive for a common area for everyone to cheack there e-mail and play a game or two, maby a few movies if I can work it in close enough to the TV kind of PC. However I really like the Shuttle case since it's going to be in the living room, I'm planning on getting a LCD moniter and a wireless mouse and keyboard and I think it's gana look really nice.

So, most important do you think either heat or the 220 watt power supply is going to be a problem? If so is there some way to improve it's cooling systems or get a more powerfull power supply? Also is there something I'm missing? Is there something you recamend I get? Anyone have any good, decent priced LCD's or wireless mouse and keyboards they would recamend?

No hurry, this is gana be a while in getting funds and stuff, but I want a goal so I can get started.

Well thanks, and any help would be appreciated....

Go for Athlon64 instead of Intel and you can save some 200-300 US$ and have better gaming performance.

heat WILL be a problem if you go with that kind of Intel. I have a 3.4 (not by choice) and it's generating huge amount of heat. The A64 3400+ I have at work is much much cooler and alot more quiet due to lower rpm on the cpu fan.

I'd get a A64 without blinking if I had the choice :)

If thats a 3.4c, it wont be much, if any hotter than a A64. Now if its a 3.4e, it will be much hotter.

Also, forget that PC-2700 ram, its MUCH too slow. You would be running your bus out of sync, which is not good. You need PC3200 for it to run at 200FSB. The PC-2700 might be able to do 200, but its default is 166. You would have to overclock the ram to get it up to speed.

The 220w PSU should be fine. The 9600 Pro doesnt take up a lot of juice. Ive got a 200w in my daughters SFF, with a 9600 Pro, and its fine. It didnt like my old 5900NU, or my new 6800GT though..

Back