New PS4 Smell

I gotta say that I really like the PDM. It's a nice evolution of the XMB which I already loved. Simple, clean and fast. Everything just makes sense. I also noticed that it's a bit snappier with the latest 1.51 update. More functionality will come with time and it will just get better, too.

Yap ! I am very glad they combine XMB and LiveArea in this one. Plus based on web tech ! ~:love:

I noticed this last Friday but forgot to mention it, there's currently no video chat. Only audio and text. When they do implement it (that's fairly safe bet), I do wonder if it will be 1:1 only, or if it will work with the Party system.

By design oversight I thought you meant that it was a poor design choice to have an LED on the back of the controller, period. I don't think it was a bad design choice, just a poor decision to have it on all the time. If that's what you meant, then never mind. :)

Yes, that's exactly what I meant - especially when it seems to be the culprit behind the low battery life.

Success !! I masked the blue power with a piece of paper.

I think pin #1 is the led ground, pin #2 is the blue led, 3 and 4 are red and green. I'm not exactly sure, maybe it's in pairs, or whatever. Rightmost pins are definitely the USB.

Everything works, only red and green light up, it indicates charging and whatever effect in game that isn't blue will show up.

sjwn.jpg

So, what's the result? Any improvement?

My guess is so much improvement, MrFox is still playing his PS4 on the one charge and is too busy to post results...

I'm still a little bit impressed. I would never have thought to do something like that. But I'll probably sooner get a USB extension cable than do this, as I like the LED far too much. :D

I did something similar to disable the daytime running lights on my car once.

While playing, half the time I've got the DS4 connected to my laptop that sits nearby so I don't need an extension. I was doing this with my nearly dead DS3's so I'm used to it, but still..

I applied for a patent so I can sue the modding community. :p
"1. device or apparatus to create infinite energy by denying access to energy from said device or apparatus with an electrically isolating wood pulp based compound."

It takes time because I need to actually play for hours and hours, which will be this weekend. I can't just leave it connected and wait it out. It makes me realize that the default 8 hours is still a lot. It's more than enough for anyone unless they forget to put it back on the charge. Or they play 12 hours straight without pause for eating or whatever. After the test I'll reenable the blue led.

Cmon man, don't you want to break this story?? Just use one of these

drinkingbird_lg.jpg

You know, maybe you should live stream your mod and test on Twitch via Playroom. Bet you could get a couple hundred viewers :D

I've noticed that the recorded video and screenshot quality from the Share button is actually quite good. That quality is then thoroughly destroyed through live stream, Twitter and Facebook.

Or of course the lousy quality of the streaming, facebook stuff and twitter compression makes the original compression from the Share feature look good ... ? ;)

I hope they will get Youtube uploads in there sooner rather than later.

Or of course the lousy quality of the streaming, facebook stuff and twitter compression makes the original compression from the Share feature look good ... ? ;)

Heh. No, the original quality is actually quite good (as viewed directly from the PS4 on my TV).

The "Game DVR" function also does not seem to be very good at cleanup. I've got 10 GB of recorded footage, and I think I've only experimented with the quick record function (double tap Share) a few times. I'll have to clean it all up and see if it behaves better after 1.51. My understanding of how its suppose to operate may also simply be incorrect.

EDIT

Taken literally, this would explain what I'm seeing:

Video of the most recent 15 minutes of gameplay is continuously and automatically recorded. When you press the SHARE button, that video is saved as a video clip.

If simply pressing the Share button saves the clip currently buffered, that would fall quite in line with the behavior I'm currently seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think that's correct. Double tap should give you a near instant screenshot. And you can also switch that behavior around so that single tap is the screenshot, and double tap the video.

Yeah, I think that's correct. Double tap should give you a near instant screenshot. And you can also switch that behavior around so that single tap is the screenshot, and double tap the video.

No, double tap is always video. You can switch it to a single tap for a screenshot or a single tap to bring up the Share menu (default).

Link

Heh. No, the original quality is actually quite good (as viewed directly from the PS4 on my TV).

The "Game DVR" function also does not seem to be very good at cleanup. I've got 10 GB of recorded footage, and I think I've only experimented with the quick record function (double tap Share) a few times. I'll have to clean it all up and see if it behaves better after 1.51. My understanding of how its suppose to operate may also simply be incorrect.

EDIT

Taken literally, this would explain what I'm seeing:

If simply pressing the Share button saves the clip currently buffered, that would fall quite in line with the behavior I'm currently seeing.

ah, so its always recording, right? I mean, I realise that something cool just happened, and I tap the share button, I will have the last 15 mins saved. Am I correct? Is there no way yet to get those videos or screens out from the PS4 other than uploading to FB and Twitter?
Also, pleaselink to your videos and screens, if u have uploaded any. :)

Brought Vita home to try RemotePlay over the Internet.

The instruction wasn't very clear. Turns out that the same PS4 Link app will try to search the local subnet first. When it times out, it will proceed to try Internet RemotePlay automatically.

The PS4 must be configured to listen to network traffic during standby.
My PS4 is behind 2 layers of NAT in the office. As expected, Vita failed to find the PS4.

When I get the chance, I'm move the PS4 to behind just 1 NAT. Will see how it goes.

Back