New Heavenly Sword Info (screens included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seemed as if the other female character schizophrenic. When the "other" character says we'll find a place to hide, it seems as if she was referring to an imaginary friend.

The way I take it twing twang was related to the bazooka she kept in her back and since she seemed mentally unstable it was to her, like child's play.

Did that make sense?

Haha see this is fun. No I don't know whether that made sense....

LOL Don't you *love* chinese whispers!!!

I think Tam once mentioned that a large publisher wanted to buy JAM (we were JAM in that phase of the game) but mentioned no names. MS's name seems to have appeared from the internet 'fact' factory...

:oops:

I'm actually suprised by this response..!

The first time I heard of this "rumour" it was by a MS spokesperson who claimed exactly this to be the case..

I'm sure I read it on GI.biz or somewhere..

If he was lying though then thats pretty embarrassing.!
:LOL:

I'm actually suprised by this response..!

The first time I heard of this "rumour" it was by a MS spokesperson who claimed exactly this to be the case..

I'm sure I read it on GI.biz or somewhere..

If he was lying though then thats pretty embarrassing.!
:LOL:

1up - One of the jobs [Shane] Kim ([SIZE=-1]corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios) [/SIZE]is tasked with involves planning the company's portfolio. Last console cycle one of the games that Microsoft published was a title named Kung Fu Chaos from Just Add Monster. Just Add Monster is now Ninja Theory, the folks behind Heavenly Sword. Did Microsoft pass on adding Heavenly Sword to their portfolio before Sony Computer Entertainment picked up the title? "Well, we talked to a lot of developers. We see lots of pitches," Kim began. "And of course we did have a previous relationship because of Kung Fu Chaos with that developer [Just Add Monster/Ninja Theory] and without going into a bunch of details, we try to be fairly selective about the titles that we put into the portfolio, partly because it's so expensive now develop really big, impact full titles." So did MGS pass on Heavenly Sword? "I'm sure that we looked at Heavenly Sword. One of the hardest parts of my job is to make those portfolio decisions. We don't make decisions about titles we do based on portfolio, we never have," said Kim. "I think that's a really dangerous thing. We don't have a horror survival game in the portfolio, but I know I could commission someone to go do a really bad one. That's not how we want to do things. We felt that we prioritized the right things. I still stand by that decision."
This may or may not be the interview you're thinking about, but according to this Kim is suggesting that NT pitched HS to MS and MS simply opted to pass on it.

-aldo

Edit: oops! :oops: Didn't notice that this podcast is what started the whole argument. Please ignore.

Hmm, so really, we will have to measure HS against things like Crackdown, Biohazard and Mass Effect, since MS chose to invest in those games versus HS.

Well Gears of War was a huge hit. I'm sure people would be happy if HS reached that kind of success but especially in the US, Epic is far better-known than NT.

Still, MS did a real good job of promoting a new piece of IP in that case.

Sony should start adverdising the game. And no abstruct ads please! MS promoted well GOW so people knew about it. No matter how great a game is if you dont make it known to people it wont sell much.

And HS deserves millions of sales for the effort an creativity that was put into it

Just listening to 1-Up's Podcast where they discuss various aspects of HS.

QTE's
They comment on the use of QTE's as being lazy. I can't agree with this. I definitely think QTE's have a place in some games. It's basically adding interactivity to what would otherwise be a movie.

Lack of footage.
They complained that last year we saw 2 minutes of footage, this year there was a 2 minute demo.

They question whether HS is far along as the developers have been saying it is. Where are the large battles sequences? the adventure elements? Rumours that the project is having troubles.

Gameplay
They were positive on the gameplay and graphics.

Exclusivitiy
They mention that MS passed on this game.

Anyway, I suggest people listen to the podcast. It's pretty interesting. How much truth there is to the above, only NT knows (and maybe will answer here :) ).

1up are a bunch of idiots. How are QTEs lazy? It adds to the overall experience, creating scenes which are not possible with purely realtime gameplay. As long as they're not overdone then I'm all for them. I love the QTEs in Shenmue and GoW :)

And the constant complaining by them over the "missing" large battle sequences. Why are these so important anyway? I've yet to play a game that had these that was actually any good (Dynasty Warriors and 99 Nights for instance. Incredibly boring games IMO).

I really don't see the need for complaining about arena levels if they look and play as good as the two that they've shown so far.

Hmm, so really, we will have to measure HS against things like Crackdown, Biohazard and Mass Effect, since MS chose to invest in those games versus HS.

Well Gears of War was a huge hit. I'm sure people would be happy if HS reached that kind of success but especially in the US, Epic is far better-known than NT.

Still, MS did a real good job of promoting a new piece of IP in that case.

Luckily for NT i've yet to see a game thqat's sold well in any region based purely on the reputation of the development company..

In general games sell well due to good marketing, word-of-mouth-advertising, all-round pre-release hype, quality and initial wow-factor (which is visual more often than not).. Other than that a title can sell well because of the IP recognition (sequel in a franchise or a movie license for instance..) but developer rep doesn't normally factor in at all to the vast majority of consumers (probably because they don't even know who the developer is..)

That's why a company like Square-Enix can put out liquid gold like final fantasy and also release other franchises to a less than interested market..

1up are a bunch of idiots. How are QTEs lazy? It adds to the overall experience, creating scenes which are not possible with purely realtime game play. As long as they're not overdone then I'm all for them. I love the QTEs in Shenmue and GoW :)

It was actually Team Ninja's Itagaki who said QTE's are lazy game design. The 1UP editor was just quoting him on that.

Itagaki was apparently trashing HS by name and said "The laziest possible game design is to put a button on screen and tell people to press it".

Personally I think it's a cool mechanic as long as it's uses sparingly and only when needed. Like I am not convinced that rope running scene in HS actually is a good use for a QTE. They could have done the equivalent of the rail grind mechanic in Tony Hawk and use six axis to keep your balance as you ran down the rope and then let the player figure out his own timing for when to jump to the next rope/cable. It would be more interactive that way and less like Dragons Lair. But maybe they don't have time to implement that.

"The laziest possible game design is to put a button on screen and tell people to press it".

Personally I think it's a cool mechanic as long as it's uses sparingly.....

I love QTEs, especially when they are placed unexpectedly. They have been around forever, but when used in, in-game cinematics, a la RE4, they are a thing of beauty. The PS3 will have interesting usage of QTE if siaxis is implemented subtly.

I disagree with Mr. Itagaki, but maybe a compromise would be giving away the basic QTE presses (duck jump) in the instruction book and give the player the option to not be prompted. You've just gone through button mashing hell and are relaxing during a cutscene, your nemesis swings a sword and either decapitates you (if you were lax) or you evade by remembering to duck (w/out being prompted).

I love QTEs, especially when they are placed unexpectedly. They have been around forever, but when used in, in-game cinematics, a la RE4, they are a thing of beauty. The PS3 will have interesting usage of QTE if siaxis is implemented subtly.

I disagree with Mr. Itagaki, but maybe a compromise would be giving away the basic QTE presses (duck jump) in the instruction book and give the player the option to not be prompted. You've just gone through button mashing hell and are relaxing during a cutscene, your nemesis swings a sword and either decapitates you (if you were lax) or you evade by remembering to duck (w/out being prompted).

I love them. I liked them in Tomb Raider Legend...just because of her funny deaths. But I like them in God of War....and the ones in HS look epic. It's one of the other reasons I'm excited for Heavenly Sword. They look ace

It makes more sense in the full games context...

When are we going to see the large scale battalion battles? Can we look forward to those at E3? Will we get a firmer grasp of what the gameplay will be like and the level of variety?

Nice work so far btw. ~_~

It was actually Team Ninja's Itagaki who said QTE's are lazy game design. The 1UP editor was just quoting him on that.

Itagaki was apparently trashing HS by name and said "The laziest possible game design is to put a button on screen and tell people to press it".

Personally I think it's a cool mechanic as long as it's uses sparingly and only when needed. Like I am not convinced that rope running scene in HS actually is a good use for a QTE. They could have done the equivalent of the rail grind mechanic in Tony Hawk and use six axis to keep your balance as you ran down the rope and then let the player figure out his own timing for when to jump to the next rope/cable. It would be more interactive that way and less like Dragons Lair. But maybe they don't have time to implement that.

Great idea.....wish you would've brought this up last year though.....but oh well...maybe next time.....

He has even pioneered methods of getting more out of the RSX a good year before Sony had provided their own methods. His results are now the standard in RSX use. He has also made many strides in the use of the Cell, where army AI , gameplay and physics, are all done on the SPU’s. This method was so impressive, that Sony used it to show off usage of SPU’s at GDC two years running. This certainly sounds like a man committed to the PS3 does it not?

you go Deano!! :cool::smile:

Ok... I was searching for PS3 DLNA information and came across the article. Decided to post it here after a quick read.

Here's DeanoC hard at work on his blog... :)

Atomic Cache Unit
Never heard of it right?

Well its one of my favorite things on the PS3 and gets little love cos its one of those tiny features that make life so much nicer.

Make life easier ? on PS3 ? Hmppphhh ! :p

P.S. Free beer from me next time you guys (or any of the pushing-the-envelope guys) stop by Bay Area.

EDIT: Holy Sh*t ! Why didn't anyone highlight this before ? It will make a huge difference.

The ACU (s) are a part of each SPU that allow atomic updates to occur very quickly. It appears fairly simple each SPU had 512 bytes of cache (yes contrary to what you might have heard SPU do have a tiny bit of cache). 512 bytes is divided into 4 128 byte lines. The MFC (DMA) unit can bring a cache line in from memory and mark it reserved… if another processor writes to the same bit of memory the reservation is lost and you know to repeat the read/modify/write cycle to guarantee atomicy.

All good, but whats really clever its how its implemented. If another SPU asks for that bit of memory its get its from another SPUs cache, if its in there. So you effectively have a fast SHARED 512 bytes. When an SPU writes, the other SPU only have to read from the writing SPU cache rather than DMAing it back to main memory and DMAing it into LS. Cuts down alot of memory traffic. I even abuse it and just use it as a conventional cache and communication channel between SPU. You can push alot of data around with a fast 128 byte path.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back