New Heavenly Sword Info (screens included)

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by "Nerve-Damage", Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepbrown

Veteran

Haha see this is fun. No I don't know whether that made sense....

2. archangelmorph

Veteran

I'm actually suprised by this response..!

The first time I heard of this "rumour" it was by a MS spokesperson who claimed exactly this to be the case..

I'm sure I read it on GI.biz or somewhere..

If he was lying though then thats pretty embarrassing.!
    :lol:

3. aldo

Newcomer

This may or may not be the interview you're thinking about, but according to this Kim is suggesting that NT pitched HS to MS and MS simply opted to pass on it.

-aldo

Edit: oops! :oops: Didn't notice that this podcast is what started the whole argument. Please ignore.

4. wco81

Legend

Hmm, so really, we will have to measure HS against things like Crackdown, Biohazard and Mass Effect, since MS chose to invest in those games versus HS.

Well Gears of War was a huge hit. I'm sure people would be happy if HS reached that kind of success but especially in the US, Epic is far better-known than NT.

Still, MS did a real good job of promoting a new piece of IP in that case.

5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Sony should start adverdising the game. And no abstruct ads please! MS promoted well GOW so people knew about it. No matter how great a game is if you dont make it known to people it wont sell much.

And HS deserves millions of sales for the effort an creativity that was put into it

6. jonnyp

Newcomer

1up are a bunch of idiots. How are QTEs lazy? It adds to the overall experience, creating scenes which are not possible with purely realtime gameplay. As long as they're not overdone then I'm all for them. I love the QTEs in Shenmue and GoW :)

And the constant complaining by them over the "missing" large battle sequences. Why are these so important anyway? I've yet to play a game that had these that was actually any good (Dynasty Warriors and 99 Nights for instance. Incredibly boring games IMO).

I really don't see the need for complaining about arena levels if they look and play as good as the two that they've shown so far.

7. archangelmorph

Veteran

Luckily for NT i've yet to see a game thqat's sold well in any region based purely on the reputation of the development company..

In general games sell well due to good marketing, word-of-mouth-advertising, all-round pre-release hype, quality and initial wow-factor (which is visual more often than not).. Other than that a title can sell well because of the IP recognition (sequel in a franchise or a movie license for instance..) but developer rep doesn't normally factor in at all to the vast majority of consumers (probably because they don't even know who the developer is..)

That's why a company like Square-Enix can put out liquid gold like final fantasy and also release other franchises to a less than interested market..

8. inefficient

Veteran

It was actually Team Ninja's Itagaki who said QTE's are lazy game design. The 1UP editor was just quoting him on that.

Itagaki was apparently trashing HS by name and said "The laziest possible game design is to put a button on screen and tell people to press it".

Personally I think it's a cool mechanic as long as it's uses sparingly and only when needed. Like I am not convinced that rope running scene in HS actually is a good use for a QTE. They could have done the equivalent of the rail grind mechanic in Tony Hawk and use six axis to keep your balance as you ran down the rope and then let the player figure out his own timing for when to jump to the next rope/cable. It would be more interactive that way and less like Dragons Lair. But maybe they don't have time to implement that.

9. DJ12

Veteran

Excuse my ignorance, but what are QTEs when they are at home.

10. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

????

QTE = Quick Time Events [pressing buttons during in-game animations, like in God of War, RE4]

11. DJ12

Veteran

Ahh, thanks.

12. NERO

Regular

I love QTEs, especially when they are placed unexpectedly. They have been around forever, but when used in, in-game cinematics, a la RE4, they are a thing of beauty. The PS3 will have interesting usage of QTE if siaxis is implemented subtly.

I disagree with Mr. Itagaki, but maybe a compromise would be giving away the basic QTE presses (duck jump) in the instruction book and give the player the option to not be prompted. You've just gone through button mashing hell and are relaxing during a cutscene, your nemesis swings a sword and either decapitates you (if you were lax) or you evade by remembering to duck (w/out being prompted).

13. deepbrown

Veteran

I love them. I liked them in Tomb Raider Legend...just because of her funny deaths. But I like them in God of War....and the ones in HS look epic. It's one of the other reasons I'm excited for Heavenly Sword. They look ace

14. pipo

Veteran

Fixed. ;)

I like it when done right (that would exclude Dragon's Lair)...

Interview: http://spong.com/feature/10109575

#374 pipo, May 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  15. Kittonwy

Regular

When are we going to see the large scale battalion battles? Can we look forward to those at E3? Will we get a firmer grasp of what the gameplay will be like and the level of variety?

Nice work so far btw. ~_~

16. Afrikan

Newcomer

Great idea.....wish you would've brought this up last year though.....but oh well...maybe next time.....

17. patsu

Legend

18. -tkf-

Legend

If you check the story you will see it points to his blog :)

http://blog.deanoc.com/

Some interesting bits, if any here works for STI he owes you a beer :)

19. Tap In

Legend

you go Deano!! :cool::smile:

20. patsu

Legend

Ok... I was searching for PS3 DLNA information and came across the article. Decided to post it here after a quick read.

Here's DeanoC hard at work on his blog... :)

Make life easier ? on PS3 ? Hmppphhh ! :p

P.S. Free beer from me next time you guys (or any of the pushing-the-envelope guys) stop by Bay Area.

EDIT: Holy Sh*t ! Why didn't anyone highlight this before ? It will make a huge difference.

#380 patsu, May 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.