New Forza 2 CG Trailer

I alwarys thought that lighting in PGR3 is good but not very good (GT4 has far better lighting and it runs on a PS2), Forza 2 is really a disappointment from this point of view.

I think we can all be confident that when they show GTV we will view something positivly savage. I don't know why MS would even want to pursue the Forza franchise if it's not going to be top notch quality. The comparisons with GT are too direct. Even at this obviously early stage, I can see that Forza may not be able to put up a good enough showing.

Even at this obviously early stage, I can see that Forza may not be able to put up a good enough showing.

how? last I checked we hadn't seen any early screens of GTV...

At any rate, leave the judgements until both games are finished - you don't end up playing early, effect-sparse screenshots on your console of choice so comparing them by any other means is a fool's errand. All i can see that really niggles me in these screenshots is the lack of 3d grass (already mentioned that it will have 3d grass in final) and the "meh" lighting (already metioned that it will have HDR etc in final). The models themselves and the backgrounds in general look ace to me, and at 60fps!

That said, of course Polyphony is going to come up with something spectactular but I have no doubt that with many of the effects missing, it too would look relatively bland and uninspiring compared to the final product.

Just want to clarify that as a devoper I'm not trying to bs other titles, I was only speaking from a technical standpoint.
Regarding lighitng PGR3 was a good step forward from PGR2 (brrrr!), but it's obvious that GT4 has the best lighiting out there, those guys who have developed that engine are simply geniuses.

I alwarys thought that lighting in PGR3 is good but not very good (GT4 has far better lighting and it runs on a PS2), Forza 2 is really a disappointment from this point of view.

I thought that PGR3 is using HDR rendering for lighting, but I've ignored that a ps2 can do better..
Forza is not finished, it's due to be out in 2007 and Che (you know who he is) says that in those shots there're not HDR and other effects and detail that will be in the final version
saying that Forza2 is disappointment means that every beta-shots from very game can goes to the same sentence

Am I wrong, fratello?

how? last I checked we hadn't seen any early screens of GTV...

I should explain myself. Sometimes I take for granted the rules of order when comparing games. I have no screenie for screeni comparo and I don't know a lick about GT5. I'm comparing the two future, unfinished games on talent alone. Polyphony has a certain amount of talent. Forza guys have... less. There's no way I can prove that. I just consider it self-evident. (And noone ask me why, please. I won't get into it.)

These shots, however early, show no evidence that Forza guys have suddenly developed any enormous swell in talent that it would take to go toe to toe with Polyphony. I could be wrong but I'd put good money on it.

I thought that PGR3 is using HDR rendering for lighting, but I've ignored that a ps2 can do better..
LOL, it's not about HDR (and yes, you can do HDR rendering on PS2 as well), it's about computing (or better faking) how light interacts with cars and vice versa (I'm not really worried about a static envirorement since precomputed solution can effectively take care of that).
Am I wrong, fratello?
Another italian on board or just another babelfish user? :)

Yes, but yesterday they mentioned March 2007. Yesterday is more recent than GC.

"They" never mentioned 2007. Only 'not holidays', which could mean earlier too.

Yeah, I know, wishful thinking...

...Forza 2 is really a disappointment from this point of view.

It is not finished. You're one of the last people I would expect this from at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not finished. You're one of the last people I would expect this from at this point in time.

not speaking for Marco or anything, but what exactly were those shots meant to show to the public in the first place? i guess they meant to show something, being official and all, so you should not be surprised if people give their opinions based on those same shots.

not speaking for Marco or anything, but what exactly were those shots meant to show to the public in the first place? i guess they meant to show something, being official and all, so you should not be surprised if people give their opinions based on those same shots.

Agreed, if MS doesnt recover with some face-melting shots at TGS or X06 the only thing theyve done is prove that they still have a lot to learn when it comes to marketing a game...

*waits patiently for next gen lighting to be implemented in the FM2 engine before passing judgement on the lighting* ;)

I'm guessing he's saying because Heavenly Sword took quite a vigirous beating when E3 06 screens were released before anybody saw the video.

maybe he has the right to comment on turn10's shots exactly because of this?

you know, gamedevs have the same basic human rights as everybody else ; ) if everybody and their dog was free to comment on ninjatheory's early shots, maybe ninjatheory devs can do that too?

plus, look at it from the birght side - if turn10 actually got positive feedback from those infamous shots they released, they could've called it a day presentation-wise and go do something else in their game. now they know what still needs beating.

ed: apologies for mistaking Marco's studio name - cross-wiring of synapses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should I not comment about it?

agreed, hell I appreciate whatever input you have.

I mean we all have our own perspective on things to some degree or another... it's silly to point out one or two people who we make exempt from posting opinions because of their perspective.

Hell nAo.. post away my Italian friend. :smile:

I'm guessing he's saying because Heavenly Sword took quite a vigirous beating when E3 06 screens were released before anybody saw the video.

Took a beating at the hands of know-nothings, sure. Heavenly sword had something to show, even it was far from done. Anyone with an eye saw potential.

These Forza pics have nothing to show. They're garbage. You don't just "turn on" HDR and 3d grass and make garbage look great. I see little potential. Forza 1 looked flat and lifeless. Looks like this train has left and its heading towards flat and lifeless at 60 fps. 3d grass and hdr won't help much.

Bottom line, the screens are early. But not THAT early.

Back