New Forza 2 CG Trailer

agreed, hell I appreciate whatever input you have.

I mean we all have our own perspective on things to some degree or another... it's silly to point out one or two people who we make exempt from posting opinions because of their perspective.

Hell nAo.. post away my Italian friend. :smile:

Oh yes i love to hear his perspective on things (or any developer). I was just stating what I thought Pipo meant.

@ Crayon I agree with you. These graphics to me are unacceptable in their current form. Sorry.

You don't just "turn on" HDR and 3d grass and make garbage look great. I see little potential. Forza 1 looked flat and lifeless. Looks like this train has left and its heading towards flat and lifeless at 60 fps. 3d grass and hdr won't help much.

If hdr and grass add nothing then what would make this game look good to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a beating at the hands of know-nothings, sure. Heavenly sword had something to show, even it was far from done. Anyone with an eye saw potential.

These Forza pics have nothing to show. They're garbage. You don't just "turn on" HDR and 3d grass and make garbage look great. I see little potential. Forza 1 looked flat and lifeless. Looks like this train has left and its heading towards flat and lifeless at 60 fps. 3d grass and hdr won't help much.

Bottom line, the screens are early. But not THAT early.

And you know this how? Do you really think that they will release a game that looks significantly worse than PGR3, which came out a year before? This is Microsoft's premiere racer, and I very much doubt that they will let the graphics portion suck.

Yes those screens are unimpressive now, but it will not stay this way.

nAo, as someone who knows the development process, you should have some reservations about posting comments about unfinished games.

Took a beating at the hands of know-nothings, sure. Heavenly sword had something to show, even it was far from done. Anyone with an eye saw potential.

These Forza pics have nothing to show. They're garbage. You don't just "turn on" HDR and 3d grass and make garbage look great. I see little potential. Forza 1 looked flat and lifeless. Looks like this train has left and its heading towards flat and lifeless at 60 fps. 3d grass and hdr won't help much.

Bottom line, the screens are early. But not THAT early.

GRAW anyone? Crackdown anyone?

LOL, it's not about HDR (and yes, you can do HDR rendering on PS2 as well), it's about computing (or better faking) how light interacts with cars and vice versa (I'm not really worried about a static envirorement since precomputed solution can effectively take care of that).

mmh, ps2 can do 1080p, can do HDR, can do better lightining than x360 on forza2, is the ps3 really needed when sony has already this beast in his hands? ;D
maybe some GI are possibile...

Another italian on board or just another babelfish user? :)

no, no italiano verace 100% genuino :)

Angelo

it doesn't look that bad , Forza team started not too long ago so it's understandable.

I'm guessing he's saying because Heavenly Sword took quite a vigorous beating when E3 06 screens were released before anybody saw the video.

yeah , I’m sure nAo cried himself to sleep after twits from OA , reirom and TXB commented on those early shots from that Swedish mag.

Edit

The hell are there so many Dean's and Italians on B3D

mmh, ps2 can do 1080p, can do HDR, can do better lightining than x360 on forza2, is the ps3 really needed when sony has already this beast in his hands? ;D
maybe some GI are possibile...

it may come as a surprise to you but it's developers who do all those things, not the machines. the machines just execute instructions ; ) at one rate or another, admittedly.

i believe several people in this thread already mentioned that if those forza2 shots showed lighting at the level of GT4 (yes, that ps2 game) then it would've been nice. unfortunately as it is now, they show zilch that needs to be shown. hence most people's reactions.

Io no parlo italiano ... solo spaghetti, macaroni, e 'Forza!' :LOL:

And while we're on that subject, which after all we are, I think there's a lot of overreacting going on. I like the car models so far, and with some good lighting and effects there is potential. Normally, with all the body-kitting going on and custom paint jobs and stickering, we shouldn't realistically expect the game to look as good as PGR3 - it was very similar last time in that respect. But as PGR3 was very early and they seem to be helping each other out, Forza should be able to look at least decent enough. And if they manage 60fps, which I at least consider essential, add some effects and overall just have a really good game with plenty of content, great wheel support, and online features, this should still be an AAA title.

I'm really looking forward to wheel support, because for that reason alone, racing games on the original Xbox failed me miserably and I had to get my joy on the PS2 and PC instead. The PC ended up being to frustrating (getting the right ports open on my PC for multiplayer, system instability issues, etc), so in the end all I had was GT4. And that game spoiled me so much that I couldn't even really enjoy Race Driver 2 or 3 either - the wheel support just wasn't nearly good enough.

Anyway, congrats to the Forza team for resetting everyone's expectations and I hope they will enjoy some slowly increasing enthusiasm as they get to show gradual improvements until the final day.

ChefO-
You know, that is a really good question. I can't say why GT4 looks better than Forza 1. I can stare at Forza one and tell you that there's more going on in terms of effects but I certainly can't put my finger on why it all falls flat.

And you know this how? Do you really think that they will release a game that looks significantly worse than PGR3, which came out a year before? This is Microsoft's premiere racer, and I very much doubt that they will let the graphics portion suck.

Yeah I think they'd realease a game that looks signnificantly worse than PGR. Because they did exactly that last year. PGR2 had some pizazz to it. If I knew how to spell "jen eh zay kwaa" I might say it had a certain amount of that. It looked great. Better than Forza.

ChefO-
You know, that is a really good question. I can't say why GT4 looks better than Forza 1. I can stare at Forza one and tell you that there's more going on in terms of effects but I certainly can't put my finger on why it all falls flat.

Yeah I think they'd realease a game that looks signnificantly worse than PGR. Because they did exactly that last year. PGR2 had some pizazz to it. If I knew how to spell "jen eh zay kwaa" I might say it had a certain amount of that. It looked great. Better than Forza.

Je ne sais quoi? Oui?

For the record, PGR2 got a 8/10 for gfx from gamespot, Forza got a 9/10, 2 years later.

Je ne sais quoi? Oui?

For the record, PGR2 got a 8/10 for gfx from gamespot, Forza got a 9/10, 2 years later.

Je ne sais quoi. Thank you.

F Gamespot. I was just RIGHT NOW reading a gamespot review of Project Snowblind and they gave that heap an 8.1 "great" score. I only bought it because I once entertained the a guy at my place who turned out to be the producer of that game. He talked alot about the realities of getting a game on the market and blah blah. He never mentioned that he inteded to feed Turok:Dinosaur Hunter to his dog then flatten the subsequent excretion intot he shape of a DVD. He rocked me at Tekken, tho. And I'm not a bad player.

I like Gamespot reviews, but I wouldn't put their word over that of anyone else here. Except maybe Jesus2006. F that kid.

ChefO-

Might I suggest "lighting" and "grass".

Gran Turismo HD
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/3471/1069_0011.jpg
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/3471/1069_0010.jpg

Forza 2
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4062/847_0004.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4062/847_0005.jpg

Forza 1
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/805/552_0009.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/912/552_0001.jpg

Honestly I don't get why everyone is raging on this game so hard.
Add grass and tweak the lighting -viola! 4xaa would be a nice bonus as well. (seeing as they promised it and all).

New Shots?

Arent there new shots due out tomorrow? After the magazine pics but before the latest build, with grass but without a fresh coat of wax or something? I cant even keep track of this anymore...

Might I suggest "lighting" and "grass".

<images>

Add grass and tweak the lighting -viola!.

'tweak the lighting and voila' sounds real easy but i'm affraid it may not be that simple. you should have a convincing model first. and here exactly is my gripe with what we've seen of forza2 so far - it has virutally the same old forza1 lighting from what i can tell from the shots. if it was a matter of tweaking it and getting it substantially improved chances are they would've done this already. i'd go on a limb here and speculate that turn10 may actually have to update their whole lighting model. but hey, who knows, maybe in reality they do have to touch one coef here and another there and there will be light! ; )

Did forza 1 have a photo mode? I cannot remember.

I'm kinda getting sick of people comparing F2 to PGR3/GT4 photo mode shots or F1 shots with unrealistically high AA (when there should be none at all, excluding PGR3s 2x).

That said most shots on the web are such 'bullshots'. Makes for a damned hard comparison. These shots need a clearly labeled 'PHOTO MODE' 'UNRELIABLE PR SHOT' or something.

4xaa would be a nice bonus as well. (seeing as they promised it and all).

To my eye all the released pictures so far already do have 4x aa. It's just as I say, almost every shot of the 'competiton' has 50kabillion x AA.

Did forza 1 have a photo mode? I cannot remember.

I'm kinda getting sick of people comparing F2 to PGR3/GT4 photo mode shots or F1 shots with unrealistically high AA (when there should be none at all, excluding PGR3s 2x).

That said most shots on the web are such 'bullshots'. Makes for a damned hard comparison. These shots need a clearly labeled 'PHOTO MODE' 'UNRELIABLE PR SHOT' or something.

everything i've said in this thread has been based on personal observations of GT4 in-game and those shots turn10 published. i don't see the slightes reason to compare forza in-game to GT's photomode.

To my eye all the released pictures so far already do have 4x aa. It's just as I say, almost every shot of the 'competiton' has 50kabillion x AA.

correct. the very first claimed in-game forza2 shot i saw aready had >2xAA (did not bother to analyze it much but i suppose they have 4xAA)

So is that it? is all we get a few crummy flat looking shots of an old build? Are they even the old build? This Forza2 thing is so anti climatical.... geeez.

Maybe we're just in a mean, game-ripping mood. :smile:
Seriously the game has to go up against GT and everbody knows it.

Maybe it'll eventually shape up enough to not get totally slaughtered in the inevitable comparison but it's going to need je ne sais quoi, voila, french fries and Sophi Marceua to get there.

Back