New Computer Specs

Besides, air cooling apparatus like the Thermalright I purchased cool just as well as watercooling I think, without the potential headache of a spill.

Air cooling does not compete with watercooling on the extremes. If you want a louder system that is moderately overclocked with higher temps, then Air cooling can provide that. For all but the uber-extreme overclockers who want that last half a Mhz, air is plenty fine.

I haven't even tried to truely max my system out to the extreme. I briefly booted into Vista64 at 3.6Ghz and it seemed stable but I didn't notice enough of a difference so I backed down to what I know it's rock solid. It's fast enough for me at 3.4Ghz. Where the higher end water cooling shines is in the silence of the system and lower temps while providing far more headroom for overclocking.

Yesterday I had a look at just how far I could OC my Q6600 .. I got to only 3300. 3400 almost does it but then reboots.

3300 is stable and temps are good still.

Will update with pics later.

US

I've got my E6750 to 3.4Ghz so far without really pushing it at all, with stock cooler. Idles at 27, Orthos peaks at 57. Guess I'll play with it some more sometime see how much higher I can get, though don't really want the peak to go much higher.

Where the higher end water cooling shines is in the silence of the system and lower temps while providing far more headroom for overclocking.

That's exactly what I'm doing it for...the silence. When I was younger I had a Black Label Delta and it didn't bother me that much. Now, geez, I need my PC to be as quiet as possible. I've even swapped in Papst fans inside my APC UPS.

That's exactly what I'm doing it for...the silence. When I was younger I had a Black Label Delta and it didn't bother me that much. Now, geez, I need my PC to be as quiet as possible. I've even swapped in Papst fans inside my APC UPS.

well theres a few large HSF combos (usually low RPM fan and a massive block) around that cool very well and are essentially noiseless and far less hassle then water cooling. The thing with water cooling also is unless you're doing some massive unit, at least twin 120mm rad, what you'll find as good/bad temps will rely on the ambient temp.

Also let me make one other suggestion, when you install it, do it right the first time and make sure to leave yourself plenty of slack on the tubing to move things. I'd also recommend using only connectors like these Quick connecters. They've been the best i've found compared to more conventional clamps which dont work as well when the hoses swell during the hotter days.

well theres a few large HSF combos (usually low RPM fan and a massive block) around that cool very well and are essentially noiseless and far less hassle then water cooling.

Many WC setups can use "quick connect" valves, so popping off a hose causes very little to leak out. They've also streamlined the installation procedure for some, e.g. Asetek has an integrated resevior(sp) and pump unit, reducing the # of connections. Certainly not as easy as air cooling but I don't think they're as hard to set up as they used to be.

The thing with water cooling also is unless you're doing some massive unit, at least twin 120mm rad,

Funny that, precisely what I'm getting. ;)

what you'll find as good/bad temps will rely on the ambient temp.

Ambient temperature of what? The air in the case? Water temp? If it's the air in the case, then that also affects an air cooler, thus making the distinction nonexistent. In addition, you're supposed to try and get the radiator to draw in outside air.

Also let me make one other suggestion, when you install it, do it right the first time and make sure to leave yourself plenty of slack on the tubing to move things. I'd also recommend using only connectors like these Quick connecters. They've been the best i've found compared to more conventional clamps which dont work as well when the hoses swell during the hotter days.

I have a simplified WC system already running and it uses Quick Connectors too. And yep, I left a decent amount of tube slack (but not too much so as to create unnecessary bends) between points.

My G0 stepping Q6600 ships this week to round out my upgrade. Too bad I'm off on a biz trip Sunday :(

How'd it work out? I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Any overclocking capabilities?
Emh..how do I overclock it? :oops: (couldn't find any option in the bios..)
Anyway..it's silent and fast, should receive a 8800gts 640mb today to replace the 8300GS that comes with the quad core :)

Emh..how do I overclock it? :oops: (couldn't find any option in the bios..)
Anyway..it's silent and fast, should receive a 8800gts 640mb today to replace the 8300GS that comes with the quad core :)

I don't think you can OC Dells. *MAYBE* the XPS line.

I'm using an 11yo MS Natural from the original ergos that the company released, so I guess I'm still tethered too. And dirty. Amazing how much grime builds up on a keyboard after a decade+ of usage.

I can't stand wires now. It's nearly a phobia. Tho it helps that I've got a very nice leather sectional just on the other side of my office desk. Spin these two 24" monitors around on their bases, take the wireless keyboard and mouse over to the couch, and both comfort and desktop power is mine.

Back