New Computer Specs

Oh noes RMA the processor you got a B3 stepping!

Just joking... a friend recently was researching a very similar build and he asked about G0 and B3 steppings because people had been making a big splash about it on forums, etc. It cracks me up how even people who just do light overclocking get so into such minor details.

I didn't care either way. I just figured I'd point it out since some people were talking about it earlier. :)

NIce Nate, glad you're happy with it.

Give it a few days at stock speeds before you really try overclocking. Let it burn-in and have the thermal pastes set and such....you'll get better results that way. ;)

Even with the absurdly easy clock to 3Ghz? The Vcore didn't even change, and the temperature at idle is about 32-33C. I didn't have to do anything really.

Ah, well that will help. At any rate, you're welcome for being bullied into a new keyboard. :p

I'm using an 11yo MS Natural from the original ergos that the company released, so I guess I'm still tethered too. And dirty. Amazing how much grime builds up on a keyboard after a decade+ of usage.

Lol me too .. the white MS ergo keyboard. Still rocks. I had two but the one broke so am praying that this one won't break soon enough and I can't stand the normal rectangle kb's. Just too used to the curve.

US

I have a Q6700+8800GTS, I'm not sure it's worth the premium over the 6600 if your running apps that are actually multithreaded.

Make sure whatever case you pick has a lot of airflow.....

When I upgraded I avoided upgrading my case initially, and I was surprised just how hot both the CPU and Graphics card got under high workloads. Neither one caused issues, but it was high enough for me to consider water cooling and in the end simply replace my case for one with a lot more airflow.

Think hard before you shell out for 4gb, I have 4Gb and 32bit XP reports 2.50GB of RAM, because of the IO memory mapping, with a GTX it might report even less. I intend to move to Vista 64bit if they ever resolve the few Software issues with the stuff I run regularly for work.

Currently running at 3.42Ghz solid. Had to up the voltage a little to get it stable, but it's really purring.

FightAIDS@Home is running like a charm, and the CPU cores range anywhere from 57-66C under load with 39-40C ambient case temp.

The first pic is load. The second is idle.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 14
From what I've read, it reads temps correctly on B3 cores, but not G0 cores.

Interesting, I'd still like to see some TAT numbers though if possible. The reason I ask is because TAT raises the temperature on my C2D much higher than any other program I've ever thrown at it. Its just curiosity more than anything.

Very nice OC, btw. Makes me want to upgrade my "old" E6300...

Where can I get TAT?

Btw, at Thorburn's request, I ran Prime95 for the past 4hrs and not a single error cropped up. Little did I know, however, that FightAIDS@Home was running at the same time. I thought I had disabled it, but it restarted on its own. Turns out I only snoozed it.

Anyway, the CPU hummed all the way through it. Rock solid system. I'm hoping I can push for 3.6Ghz in a couple of days. Going to let 3.42Ghz sink in for a little bit.

Back