New Atari game console is on the way

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by pharma, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Put an ARM in it with all the old 2600 and 400/800 games and sell it for $39.99.

milk likes this.
  2. milk

Veteran Regular

of all the 2600 games theres really no more than a few dozen that are actually enjoyable to play. But yeah, for 40 bucks its ok.

Mize likes this.
  3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

And why would people buy an Atari-branded emulator machine for $40 if they can probably just buy a raspberry and download a SD card image that already has emulators and games in it?
    How many little emulator boxes will that niche market take until it's saturated and people just don't find it fun anymore to have a mini-NES + mini-SNES + mini-NeoGeo + mini-MasterSystem + mini-MegaDrive + mini-MegaCD + mini-commodore64 with all their power and HDMI cables tangling up in the back of their TVs, where they have to manually switch the HDMI cable because their TV only has 4 inputs?

It's good that Atari didn't try to copy Nintendo at mini-ing the old Atari, because Atari isn't Nintendo (i.e. they don't have a super-loyal fanbase of ~5 million followers).
    They're doing what a Steam Machine should have been from the start (cheap and small but compatible), and AFAIR lots of people were looking up to those. Right until we found out OEMs were taking premiums for those Windows-less PCs instead of making them cheaper.

Since that's an abbreviation of "would have", it's still a thousand times better than "would of", which is ridiculous IMHO. "Would of" is really just terrible grammar and laziness at the same time. Lazy people can simply write "would've" and it's just as fast to write.

rabidrabbit, BRiT and milk like this.
  4. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

That's why I added games from their 400/800 computers. I don't recall much about them though.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The same reason that people buy routers with a built in firewall instead of getting a cheap switch, a raspberry and sticking an easy to use Linux distro with a much better and more capable firewall (with or without routing software) on it.

Regards,
    SB

JPT, Goodtwin and bunge like this.
  6. ToTTenTranz

The question of how many little boxes with their cables can people put next to their TVs still stands, and so does the question of whether Atari can gather enough clients for their retro machine to make it profitable.

The thing about setting up a rasp is purely because the market of Atari fans and rasp DIYs might overlap.

milk likes this.
  7. milk

Veteran Regular

I think you are right.

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Why would they buy a small NES emulator with a limited selection of games for $60 when they could grab a Pi and emulator and all the games?

RootKit and BRiT like this.
  9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

See Silent_Buddhas reply:

Goodtwin likes this.
  10. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Not everyone is a geek,nerd, engineer. In my case I would use my pc or my smartphone(I still play N64 and GB games on mine)

11. dobwal

Veteran

LOL. My bad. I should of caught that mistake.

Tkumpathenurpahl and milk like this.
  12. Picao84

Veteran Regular

And you did again haha! Should be "should have caught".

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  13. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Did you both miss my ironic, rhetorical argument against ToTTenTranz's position?

14. ToTTenTranz

Looking at a general list of console sales, Nintendo has sold over 750 million consoles worldwide among 10 different consoles sold, and their latest proven success was the 3DS (still being sold today) with almost 70 million lifetime sales.
    Atari had one successful console with the 2600 about 40 years ago, followed by a series of failures selling less than a million units for the most part. When Infogrames bought them after being brought down by the competition, the brand was used for a series of games that didn't really

Atari is smart in acknowledging they don't have even a tiny fraction of Nintendo's fanbase, loyalty and brand projection. If the mini-NES ever gets to around 4 million units, there's little reason for Atari to believe they'd get much more than 100k orders.
    That could still be profitable as pretty much any SoC nowadays can emulate all Atari games, but it wasn't going to put Atari back in the market.

With this new Atari having a e.g. 35W Raven Ridge capable of playing games at XBone quality for $300, not only are they offering a great value proposition but they also have a much higher ASP that empowers the brand.

#34 ToTTenTranz, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    milk likes this.
  15. dobwal

Veteran

LOL. It was intentionaL and an attempt at humor.

#35 dobwal, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    bunge likes this.
  16. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

IndieGoGo campaign if you feel like throwing away a few hundred bucks.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...ium=email&utm_campaign=bck-05312018hardware#/

First hardware Q2 2019. Runs Linux.

Specification* Measurement
    Operating System : Linux OS based on Ubuntu (Linux Kernel 4.10) Power
    Low TDP architecture - Less Heat & Noise
    Connections : HDMI 2.0, 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 4xUSB 3.0
    External Inputs : Classic Joystick, Modern Controller, Microphone
    Storage : 32GB eMMC, external HD, SD card
    RAM : 4GB DDR4 RAM

Memory : 32GB eMMC
    CPU : Bristol Ridge A10
    GPU : Radeon R7

You too can enjoy the likes of Witcher 3 at 720p. In 2019. If they actually deliver hardware without going under. Again.

17. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

18. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Because they can get money from venture capitalists and buy fancy cars without doing an real work - that's my understanding of this clearly doomed creations.

19. ToTTenTranz

Bristol Ridge in this Atari was known for a while, and it could make sense if it released right now.

But in mid 2019 we'll have 7nm Picasso, Raven Ridge will be last-year tech and Bristol Ridge will be really old tech.

20. DSoup

DSoup meh

Presumably they are trying to hit a specific price point for profit reasons. When you compare price to performance, older is invariably better when it's on a last generation fab which there are lots of and will have a lot of capacity. Mature tech on mature fabs = super cheap. :yep2:

I had the original wood-panel effect VCS but have zero interest in this.