need help from the multi-lingual people...

Ty said:
Legion said:
i heard an knew it was reversed

Then why did you ask for "help"?

i was the one that asked. it sounds like a Germanic based language so i figured someone here might be able to come up with an interpretation of it. i didn't really want to lead the question as i figured it would be best not to so i can get anyone's interpretation, but i think the last word is how you would enunciate "trogna" which is Swedish for "faithful."

kyleb said:
Ty said:
Legion said:
i heard an knew it was reversed

Then why did you ask for "help"?

i was the one that asked. it sounds like a Germanic based language so i figured someone here might be able to come up with an interpretation of it. i didn't really want to lead the question as i figured it would be best not to so i can get anyone's interpretation, but i think the last word is how you would enunciate "trogna" which is Swedish for "faithful."

Ah, my bad. Apologies to all involved.

This reminds me of one thing...

I once watched a TV show from Japan, which shows many strange people and things. They invited a woman, who speaks some gibberish. However, when those "gibberish" are recorded and played reversely, they become normal (well, actually a bit weird) Japanese! That impressed me a lot. :)

Of course, it is easier to perform this feat in Japanese, since its pronunciation is pretty simple. For example, to say "good day" in Japanese is like "Kon-ni-chi-wa." It becomes "A-wi-chi-no-k" when you want to say it "reversely." I think it's much harder to do this in English...

You need some imagination to get the last word to "trogna". But take someone with a bad accent and get him drunk, then yes.
I'm a bit curious how you cam to that conclution.

Btw, have any of you seen any intentionally incorrectly subtiteled songs? I've seen a few flash animations made by Swedes, but no english ones. But they can be rather fun.

The idea is to take a a song in some language you don't understand. Those I've seen have been Arabic, or other mid-east languages. Then try to find phrases in your own language in it. (Like the above word "trogna".) And then subtitle it.

If you read the text while listening, it's possible to fool your mind to think that it's just someone with a bad accent, even if you never would have thought about those words without the subtitle.

[Edit]
Oh, I've seen a flash with Pavarotti singing about Elephants. But that one doesn't count since it's just one word they're playing with.

Basic said:
Btw, have any of you seen any intentionally incorrectly subtiteled songs? I've seen a few flash animations made by Swedes, but no english ones. But they can be rather fun.

The idea is to take a a song in some language you don't understand. Those I've seen have been Arabic, or other mid-east languages. Then try to find phrases in your own language in it. (Like the above word "trogna".) And then subtitle it.

If you read the text while listening, it's possible to fool your mind to think that it's just someone with a bad accent, even if you never would have thought about those words without the subtitle.

Yup, there are many really funny ones. :D "Hatten är din" is probably the most famous.

The languages must have similar "phonetic image" or whatever it's called. That is, every sound in the original language must exist in your language too. It seems some middle-eastern languages easily maps to swedish. I guess it could work the other way around too, mapping swedish songs to turkish or whatever language it is. I don't know if there's any language that would map well to english. Swedish wouldn't work very well at least with our pronounciation on many vowels, especially U and Y, as well as our rolling R.

Basic said:
You need some imagination to get the last word to "trogna". But take someone with a bad accent and get him drunk, then yes.
I'm a bit curious how you cam to that conclution.

cool that is what i was thinking, thank you. as for how i came to the conclusion; it just sounded familar to me so i looked up "trogna" with google, found is a Swedish word and looked in a Swedish to English dictionary from there.

as for the intentionally incorrectly subtitled songs, ya i had seen the "Hatten är din" before, good stuff. i am sure it would be even funnier if i could read Sweedish better but it is still a laugh even with my very limited abilty to understand the subtitles. i think Humus is right about English though, i don't know of any languages that would map over to it well at all.

Back