Need 4 Speed: Pro Street

Closest thing i have seen to something similiar (but much inferior) is PGR3's vechicle description when you browse to buy one. (about a page or two with car model history and facts if i remember correctly)

Closest thing i have seen to something similiar (but much inferior) is PGR3's vechicle description when you browse to buy one. (about a page or two with car model history and facts if i remember correctly)

I think people were too quick to shun the FMV era of games. Twas one of the finer implementations of the medium, tis now but a memory.

*cry*

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed

Though I do (and did) like the cops in NFS 1. They added a nice variable to races. Using the same formula today I'm sure could produce a world beater. Though I have to say, I think the Road & Track License along with the voice over guy talking up each car really put the player in the game world unlike any before or after it.

EA Canada Rocked!

Oh definately - I liked the cops in NFS1 too. It was with the 3rd part when I started to get annoyed by it. Sure, it was fun at the beginning, but after a while, it seemed more like watching those rather stupid cop-chasing-thief feeds on tv. In the real world, who in gods name would still attempt to escape the cops when they are practically ramming you off the road - in a LAMBORGHINI?? I mean, seriously... :devilish:

IMO, NFS1, as simplified as it was, was perfect. When the cops overtake you - Game Over. That's more than enough for me.

Oh and one of the clips when the cop pulled you over was just COOL. Something a long the lines "thought I was seeing a UFO belting down the road there first, mate" (or something like that - I played the German version)

Its the 31st, and the game is "officially annouced"

EA SHIFTS GEARS WITH NEED FOR SPEED PROSTREET
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - May 31, 2007 - Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that the blockbuster Need for Speed™ franchise is introducing a new version that drives the series in a new direction. Need for Speed™ ProStreet is a ground-breaking Need for Speed experience where you're thrust to compete head to head against the best street racers in a multitude of racing showdowns. The game is being developed by EA Black Box in Vancouver, B.C., and is slated to ship this fall.

"Need for Speed ProStreet accelerates street racing culture by providing the ultimate stage for the pursuit of street racing supremacy," said Executive Producer, Larry LaPierre. "This is a game about building the ultimate performance-tuned battle machine, taking it to multi-disciplinary showdowns all over the world and pitting your skills and reputation against the very best street racers."

Need for Speed ProStreet boasts impeccable precision and impressively detailed photo-realistic graphics, effectively transporting you to the center of the action. It pushes the "Autosculpt™" technology to a new level, allowing you to directly impact your car's performance for the first time as well as personalize its appearance. Need for Speed ProStreet is a true taste of raw adrenaline and racing with consequences. Every dent, every scratch and every crumpled body panel is a battle scar, proof of your commitment and competitive mettle. With an aggressive and skilled AI system, you become immersed in an unmatched believable race experience. Add in a revolutionary online mode that will redefine the meaning of competitive social play, and Need for Speed ProStreet is the ultimate formula for an emotionally charged street racing showdown.

And some screens:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...058/need-for-speed-2007-20070531000346880.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...058/need-for-speed-2007-20070531000335912.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...058/need-for-speed-2007-20070531000345318.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...058/need-for-speed-2007-20070531000348021.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...058/need-for-speed-2007-20070531000349474.jpg

The way it makes out the damage and repairs will be visable even after the race is finished is a nice idea.

that must be prerendered right???

no jaggies :oops:
Definately. The reflections in the rims can't be done any way other than through a raytracer. Looks like there's GI too.

Just looking at this picture:

http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_image.html?G=5719&N=7

They are being very sneaky with their motion blur.
They are blurring the velocity buffer before applying motion blur. Subtle, but looks quite good.

(see the right edge of the rear bumper)
You sure? I'd expect and algorithm like that to bleed in a lot more places than just the right bumper.

Image space motion blur is tough to do without bleeding. Imagine a point where the velocity buffer has a high speed, but there's low speed object nearby. That low speed object will then get blurred into that point even though it wasn't supposed to. Here's an example. In other words, image-space motion blur is best done with scatter as opposed to gather. Unfortunately that would be stupendously slow.

The best hack is to separate stationary objects (relative to the camera) from moving ones by flagging the stationary object with destination alpha. This way you can avoid the blurring by ignoring some of your samples, similar to what people should be doing with DOF (but usually don't, resulting in halos). My guess is in the NFS shot the bumper wasn't flagged properly.

By the way, for something like a racing game where either the cars are moving fast relative to the camera or a static environment is, but rarely both, you can avoid a velocity buffer. Just use the Z-buffer along with knowledge of your camera's velocity (including rotational).
However they look to be doing special blur on the rims. Given the tyres don't blur:
http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_image.html?G=5719&N=9
That's definately the best way to do it. In Little Big Planet movies I saw them using regular linear motion blur on the skateboard wheels, resulting in the blur shooting out well beyond the confines of the wheel.

Hmm you might be right.

I'm pretty sure they are doing *something* though :p

Just blurry things (like the road behind the car) get slightly sharper as they get closer, and sharp things get more blurry. It's odd.
Perhaps it's half blur, half sharp velocity buffer. :p

Looking again I'm having an even harder time trying to work out how it's done. Unless it's simply a photoshop.

It could be the car is drawn separately, however this would account for the road being visible *behind* the bumper (which I just noticed :p) but wouldn't account for the exhaust pipes blurring.
The closest tire is also semi transparent.

I'm just getting more and more confused the more I look at it :p
And I want to know how it's been done, because it seems like a nice trade off to get rid of the ugly sharp outlines velocity buffers can give.

(that ign link doesn't work for me btw, but I'm pretty sure I know what you mean)

*actually*

I think they are mixing the motion blurred and non-motion blurred images 50/50. The high contrast text/tag on the left seems to show this.
Still doesn't account for the road showing through though...

I'd recreate that effect by rendering the car as a separate pass, then copy that as alpha into the render target that gets motion blurred, then interpolate the car in based on the blurred alpha/original alpha.
I'm sure thats not what they are doing, but it'd probablly achieve the same effect. The question is why...

Sigh. it's too late. Need sleep

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching that last night. I definately had a "nostalgia" moment when the car was driving thru the desert.

Heres hoping more "exotic" old nfs locales make it ;)

Back