NEC Electronics on Xenos (downspec in dice interconnect bandwidth?)

MrSingh said:
let's not speculate. let's just say NEC is right. this thread is a waste of time.
Why? Why are NEC right and ATi? Or vice versa? On what criteria do you select between these two different informations?

Reply:
ATI (Clay Taylor said:
32GB/s is the correct (original) BW from parent to daughter die.

This is 8 pix/clk * (4B(32b) color + 4B(32b) z) == 64B/clk * 500MHz è 32GB/sec. It is actually a little higher than that, but that is close enough and simple enough to go with. If NEC is claiming 22.4, that is wrong.

Dave Baumann said:
Reply:32GB/s is the correct (original) BW from parent to daughter die.

This is 8 pix/clk * (4B(32b) color + 4B(32b) z) == 64B/clk * 500MHz è 32GB/sec. It is actually a little higher than that, but that is close enough and simple enough to go with. If NEC is claiming 22.4, that is wrong.

Dave, did he happen to mention what clock frequency the Xenos ended up running at? Also the original spec (500mhz)?

EDIT: Almost forgot, thanks for the clarification on the BW number. :)

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Baumann said:
If you look I think you'll find he did!

Sorry. I'll go sit in the corner as punishment for my stupidity.

EDIT: Someone close this thread before i ask another stupid question.

J

I don't think this is confirmed until NEC acknowledges their error, they can't be wrong since they made the EDRAM part!!!!!!!!

just kidding.

MrSingh said:
I don't think this is confirmed until NEC acknowledges their error, they can't be wrong since they made the EDRAM part!!!!!!!!
Technically that's still true as NEC indeed reviewed the article as Nikkei claims, I just thank Dave for his effort. Blame NEC instead :LOL:

EndR said:
Yup..
that settles it.. lock thread..

:LOL:

lol @ your signature
"Atari invented it. Nintendo pioneered it. Sony made it mainstream. Microsoft bought it."

Not really true but still funny. :LOL:

Azrael said:
lol @ your signature
"Atari invented it. Nintendo pioneered it. Sony made it mainstream. Microsoft bought it."

Not really true but still funny. :LOL:

It's missing something. Let me fix it:

"Atari invented it. Nintendo pioneered it. Sega made it cool. Sony made it mainstream. Microsoft bought it."

Edit:

You know what? I think it needs further adjustment/refinement. This is much better IMO:

"Atari pioneered it. Nintendo made it fun. Sega made it cool. Sony made it mainstream. Microsoft bought it."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think nintendo made it main stream. To this day there is not one hollywood movie about the playstation and its games / acessorys . However there is a hollywood movie staring fred savage about nintendo , the power glove and supermario 3 .

I believe it was called the wiz

jvd said:
I think nintendo made it main stream. To this day there is not one hollywood movie about the playstation and its games / acessorys . However there is a hollywood movie staring fred savage about nintendo , the power glove and supermario 3 .

I believe it was called the wiz

Mainstream implies that every facet of society embraces it, not just the kids. I was a teenager when NES hit, and I stuck to arcade games because NES seemed too simple and kiddy.

It wasn't until Sega made sports games popular on Genesis that made my age group and older embraced home gaming consoles. I guess EA had just as much to do with that as Sega though....

Shogmaster said:
Mainstream implies that every facet of society embraces it, not just the kids. I was a teenager when NES hit, and I stuck to arcade games because NES seemed too simple and kiddy.

It wasn't until Sega made sports games popular on Genesis that made my age group and older embraced home gaming consoles. I guess EA had just as much to do with that as Sega though....
So then it was sega that made it mainstream ?

I dunno about that . Before the nes even many familys played video games. The atari and others were big family things . My father , mother , uncle , grandmother and older sister would all play .

I think main stream is a big wrong . You need to come up with something else for sony . Btw atari dind't invent it , there was a guy who made video games before atari , it was recently on g4 icons .

Back