Toshiba, NEC Team on Chip Development (Sony could also..)

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20051110/tc_pcworld/123487

NEC and Toshiba, two of Japan's biggest chip makers, have decided to work together on a future generation of semiconductor manufacturing technology, they said Wednesday.

The two companies will jointly develop technology that can produce chips whose smallest features are 45 nanometers in size.

Toshiba disclosed in early 2004 its plans to work together with Sony on 45nm technology. Now, with Toshiba announcing similar plans to work with NEC Electronics on the same technology, there is a chance that the three companies will end up working together, Makoto Yasuda, a spokesperson for Toshiba in Tokyo, said on Thursday.

Talks have not taken place yet on a three-way cooperation deal but the idea has not been ruled out, said Yoshikazu Ochiai, a Sony spokesperson in Tokyo.

Few details of the collaboration have been finalized, but the two companies hope to have a definitive deal by the end of the year. Engineers from both companies will work together at Toshiba's Advanced Microelectronics Center in Yokohama, west of Tokyo, the companies said.

What kind of chip could they produce (T+N or T+N+S)?

Mod: Please move it to appropriate forum if so desired.

Yeah I'm not sure or not if this belongs in consoles (otherwise I was thinking of posting the news myself yesterday!), but it's clear the strategy here. Toshiba and NEC are normally on the cutting edge of fab processes, but for 45nm there seems to be a costs and research wall that if they are to remain competetive against the likes of Intel and Samsung, a pooling of resources will be the best way to ensure it. Sony of course already has their agreement in place, in line with their current plan to join the 'leadership' of the global semiconductor players. I do in fact thing whether officially or unofficially the three companies will in essence be helping each other out.

For NEC and Toshiba especially though, Samsung even more than Intel is a force to try to stay ahead of, or at least competetive with. Samsung recently announced a massive expenditure for R&D to be spread out over the next several years, so I think that has some companies worried.

Depends when 45nm can be made available. I guess it points to a possible PS3 shrink to a SFF when available. Plus perhaps an XB360 shrink if NEC can offer 45nm fabs over TSMC's 60nm.

Shifty Geezer said:
Depends when 45nm can be made available. I guess it points to a possible PS3 shrink to a SFF when available. Plus perhaps an XB360 shrink if NEC can offer 45nm fabs over TSMC's 60nm.

It won't be available this generation. Some of these parts, such as the GPU are among the first from their respective companies in 90nm and are probably still a year or more away from seeing 65nm at best, and 65nm wouldn't be fully matured for a year or more after that.

45nm might make it out within the last year of next-gen consoles, but that's being pretty hopeful about it.

I wonder if NEC will even be in the picture still though at that point, or if MS will have achieved their 'unified die' vision at one of the Taiwanese fabs. Of course, at 45nm NEC might become cheap enough for them that they achieve the vision there instead/as well!

Anyway for Sony though I definitely see 45nm playing a role in an eventual PS3 release. May or may not be during it's 'normal' lifespan, but definitely in the 'slimline' years post PS4 release.

xbdestroya said:
Anyway for Sony though I definitely see 45nm playing a role in an eventual PS3 release. May or may not be during it's 'normal' lifespan, but definitely in the 'slimline' years post PS4 release.

But by then it won't matter. We'll all be arguing over the PS5 and the Xbox 24389593753a.

Powderkeg said:
But by then it won't matter. We'll all be arguing over the PS5 and the Xbox 24389593753a.

Yeah that could very well be true (though I think PS4 and XBox 720 will definitely see 45nm).

Hey I didn't post this afterall; I thought to yesterday but found it not relevent enough, so I don't necessarilly disagree with anything you're saying. As long as this thread sticks around though, I love a good 'fabbing process' discussion.

This is simply for saving costs. Toshiba and NEC did the same thing with AOD aka HD DVD. NEC did the same thing with Hitachi and Mitsubishi in forming Elpida.

Back