NA Playstation Hardware News

DrJay24

Veteran
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune PS3 Bundle with 160GB PS3 System

The 160GB PS3 system announced at the GC will be available here as part of a new limited-edition bundle that includes the hardware, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune game, a PLAYSTATION Network voucher for PAIN, and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller. We’re hearing from a lot of you that more PS3 storage space is important, particularly since the launch of our video delivery service, and this new model delivers more memory and a whole lot of content packed-in. The 160GB PS3 has all of the same functionality as the new 80GB PS3 that’s popping up on retailer shelves now, but obviously has twice the HDD space, so you can build levels to your heart’s content in LittleBigPlanet, download a ton of videos, and still have room for your entire music collection. The Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune 160GB PS3 bundle launches in November for $499.99 (MSRP).

New PSP Entertainment Packs with updated PSP (PSP-3000)

We also unveiled at Leipzig an updated PSP system (PSP-3000), which we’ll be offering here initially through the previously announced Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack and a new PSP 4GB Memory Entertainment Pack. I’m personally excited about the 4GB Memory bundle because we’re including a - you guessed it - 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo, which is the biggest Memory Stick we’ve ever bundled with a PSP. Similar to the new PS3 model, this PSP bundle is the result of the current consumer usage model - where more and more of you are finding that extra memory space is crucial. Check out the press release here for more details on what’s included in the bundles.

The new PSP retains the size and features of the current, slimmed-down PSP (PSP-2000), while incorporating some hardware updates:

* The LCD screen will have a wider color gamut and higher contrast ratio to deliver deeper, more vibrant colors, as well as anti-reflection technology so you can see the screen more clearly when playing outdoors. As you all know, the PSP’s screen is a key strength of the hardware, and this update adds an absolutely dazzling LCD screen to the handheld.
* A built-in microphone allows for Skype calls and multi-player gaming communication directly from the hardware - eliminating the need for attaching a separate headset.

Similar to our firmware updates, the new PSP is simply an opportunity to evolve the platform with the newest technology without adding to the cost of the system. The PSP Entertainment Packs will continue to be $199.99 (MSRP), and later this year we’ll release a standalone, updated PSP in a PSP Core Pack, which remains at $169.99 (MSRP).

PS3 Wireless Keypad

Lastly, we’ve announced a new Wireless Keypad for PS3 that will make text communications and Web browsing much easier. The Wireless Keypad snaps onto the top of a SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller and comes with some cool features, including a mode that turns the main key area into a touch pad (similar to a touch pad on a Laptop computer). Once in this mode, you can slide your finger on this area to move the cursor on the screen and tap to enter. There will be two short cut buttons on the Keypad that will enable users to jump directly to the XMB’s “Friends” icon and the “Message Box” during gameplay. The Wireless Keypad will launch in late November.

Last but not least, the Wireless Keypad is a Bluetooth device that can not only be used with the PS3 system but with any other Bluetooth enabled device that has Keyboard functionality. You will be able to use it with your smart phones and other portable devices that are equipped with Bluetooth. With the PS3 system, it can be paired and charged seamlessly just by connecting them with a USB cable.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/20/live-from-leipzig-north-american-hardware-announcements/

I was hoping the new high end SKU (160GB) would have PS2 BC, but it looks like Sony is killing it.

The price of the higher-end PS3 SKU has always been EUR449?

Also, isn't that markup a bit steep for a 160Gb HD replacement and a year-old game? Before at least the markup came with the more unquantifiable 'BC' quality.

So this keyboard runs stand alone too then. still prefer my big wireless keyboard with the seperate touchpad/mouse. What I'd love is one of those small folding keyboards but they're just so damn expensive.

The price of the higher-end PS3 SKU has always been EUR449?

Also, isn't that markup a bit steep for a 160Gb HD replacement and a year-old game? Before at least the markup came with the more unquantifiable 'BC' quality.

If that's what it is, then yea I don't see those moving much.

What'd be nice is a halfway-house, something bigger than this attachment but not as cumbersome as a full-sized keyboard, that you can have to hand when needed but doesn't get in the way at all when not.

What'd be nice is a halfway-house, something bigger than this attachment but not as cumbersome as a full-sized keyboard, that you can have to hand when needed but doesn't get in the way at all when not.

Like this? Unless you're specifically looking for something that attaches to the controller.

I like the keypad. Of course I wouldn't know for sure if it worked good without trying it first, but it looks good so far. A lot will depend on the keys. It's very interesting that it can be used as a pointer-style device. Especially nice would be if it's also mutli-touch, but probably not.

Here's it attached to the controller: http://www.gamekyo.com/images0_4_28734.html

So it sits a little higher up so that it doesn't get in the way of the trigger buttons. Interesting.

That's how high end SKUs work :)

The 360 Elite is $100 for 60GB of HD and a better color.

HDMI at first, too. (And cables!) But yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking, it was MSish, though... with 360s, weren't Elites a good deal? Wasn't the price of the MS 120 GB HDD + core more expensive than the elite, and that's not even including cables or HDMI. With the PS3 you can upgrade with much cheaper off-the-shelf components.

I like the QWERTY thingy, dislike the looks but i think it was dictated purely from a usability point of view. And the 160GB move is pretty cool, Sony is playing a strong hand again with their cheap harddrives.

Like this? Unless you're specifically looking for something that attaches to the controller.

Yep that's a good one, but like I said pricey. Others to look at are PDA wireless keyboards which will usually work and where you'll find the foldable variety. They're a little pricey too.

That's actually very cute. And it probably works with the PS3 already too, as I got its big brother (Edge) with BluTooth working with it right now myself.

The specs in Gradthawn's link list PS3 compatibility. Best price I found in the UK was £66 exc. VAT. I wouldn't see anything like enough use to justify the cost. You'd need to be posting on fora on the PS3 for it to be worthwhile IMO.

The specs in Gradthawn's link list PS3 compatibility. Best price I found in the UK was £66 exc. VAT. I wouldn't see anything like enough use to justify the cost. You'd need to be posting on fora on the PS3 for it to be worthwhile IMO.

Or hang out in Home chatting up babes..

I´m gonna preorder the small Batman QWERTY board and tag it on my controller, with a little luck it will be here for Home (hahaha)

Surely this new 160GB SKU is coming to gain bigger margins for Sony? Doesnt look worth it to me in terms of value proposition.

i think they should have made the 160GB around 450-470. $100 more for Uncharted and double the space is a little too much, even though Uncharted is a great game. i was surprised Uncharted wasn't included in the Greatest Hits library, this is probably why... they wanted to make it look like a better deal.

so for the same price as the MGS4 bundle, you get double the space, Uncharted instead of MGS4, but no BC. for me and i'm sure many others (someone who doesn't really care of BC and does care about HDD space) thats a pretty even trade-off. but for those who care for BC, i'm sure it doesn't look too good.

Actually $449 would have been a great price for it, but probably not a good deal for Sony. It would have gone head to head against a wi-fi-less 120GB Elite.

IMO they should have a cheap game in the 80GB box, Motostorm or some other GH.

Maybe they'll do it for the holidays. I imagine there's already some cost gains from eliminating BC completely -- for one, there's only one set of PS3 innards to make. Hell, just one shell, discounting any cosmetic differences. Though I wouldn't count on a price cut.

Or hang out in Home chatting up babes..

I´m gonna preorder the small Batman QWERTY board and tag it on my controller, with a little luck it will be here for Home (hahaha)

Somebody say Batman? :) Me want pics!

Tommy McClain

Back