My name is Paul, I'm 16, and I have a drinking problem.

london-boy said:
(...and this will open up a whole new chapter to this thread)

Personally i much prefer doing drugs than getting drunk. Not often and not a lot, but it's far better on my body that drinking liters of fluid that makes u fat, sick, smelly and sleepy.

*runs*

I like that alchol makes you pay visibly for over doing it, in effect it "instantly punishes you" and it something that if you keep to a rare occasion then it will hardly limit any facet of your existence in any way shape or form. Like i've already mentioned if you drink on a full stomache and keep hydrated its very rare you'll do irrevsable damage.

I went out on saturday (it was Pride day) last week, didn't sleep until monday. Had the time of my life, and all alcohol free. Drugs are bad, and this wekend i really have done too much of that, considering i'm really not used to doing it AT ALL. And it's not going to happen again anytime soon, but it was loads of fun.

most times when colleagues started a tale of "been up all weekend"
it was thru gritted teeth and they had bleeding gums .

always a great advert for drug abuse :)

davefb said:
most times when colleagues started a tale of "been up all weekend"
it was thru gritted teeth and they had bleeding gums .

always a great advert for drug abuse :)

No teeth gritting or gums bleedy, just lots of biting, sweating, jumping, thrusting, screaming, panting. U know, usual long-weekend stuff.
Called in sick monday AND tuesday!

This thread brings a full "HOLY SH!T" on the naivity meter!

1st: Paul, RELAX. Judging by what I've read here, you're most definitely NOT an alcoholic. 2 pints in an hour? Been there, done that, no big whoop. Hell, when I was learning to drink I went through half a liter (~ 1 pint) of 40% vodka in less time than you did (obviously passing out). You're just learning how to drink, and if you think you may be an alcoholic only based on THAT, then you're being way too paranoid.

Period.

For the rest of you: Don't forget that apparently McDonald's is also "poison". So is coffee, sugar and bacon. There is literally NO fundamental difference between any two things that are a) bad for you, and b) make you feel good.

So you "alcohol consumption is evil and you're going to hell if you drink"-psychos here need to BACK THE FUCK AWAY FROM THIS KID!!!!!

He does NOT need your INSANE advice! If you've never been a "social drinker" and don't even know the *very difference* between "use" and "abuse" then you have no fncking idea what you're talking about, and are damaging the kid rather than helping him.

As much respect as I have for for you B3D members, I never expected to be saying this, but I really had to. Going off like is just something that happens to me when I read stupid statements like "Drinking isn't fun and doesn't make you feel good".

Sorry, but it's just plain wrong, and bullshitting kids isn't the way to help them.

HolySmoke said:
1st: Paul, RELAX. Judging by what I've read here, you're most definitely NOT an alcoholic.

Actually, none of us here know enough to pass judgement on whether he IS or IS NOT an alcoholic. Including you. The point is, he doesn't like where he's at.

2 pints in an hour? Been there, done that, no big whoop. Hell, when I was learning to drink I went through half a liter (~ 1 pint) of 40% vodka in less time than you did (obviously passing out).

I must, say, I find the "my penis is bigger than yours" drinking comparisons here very sophomoric.

You're just learning how to drink, and if you think you may be an alcoholic only based on THAT, then you're being way too paranoid.

Um, I think he's basing his self-assesment not on some "inexperience" with drinking or knowing his limits, it's that he "loves to get fucked up". That he doesn't have any perticular regard for limits... and that after he woke up from his latest escapade, the first thing he did was ask for more.

For the rest of you: Don't forget that apparently McDonald's is also "poison". So is coffee, sugar and bacon. There is literally NO fundamental difference between any two things that are a) bad for you, and b) make you feel good.

Hey, you're talking about being naive? And you equate alcohol with fast food? Sorry, I don't recall super sizing your meal having sever consequences with respect to judgement and your state of mind. I also don't recall much concern about abusive households due to excess bacon grease.

To much excess of anything is bad. But if you see literally "NO fundamental difference" here, you're the naive one.

So you "alcohol consumption is evil and you're going to hell if you drink"-psychos here need to BACK THE FUCK AWAY FROM THIS KID!!!!!

Oh, and I wouldn't be one to toss around accusations of others being psychos...

He does NOT need your INSANE advice!

Um...what "insane" advice was given to him?

If you've never been a "social drinker" and don't even know the *very difference* between "use" and "abuse" then you have no fncking idea what you're talking about, and are damaging the kid rather than helping him.

And if you think abusers never started as "social users", then you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. If you think "abusers" and alcoholics just start off with the INTENTION of being an abuser, then I think you have no fucking idea what you're talking about, and are damaging the kid more than helping him.

Hey, my only point was that you all autolabeled him an alcoholic. I labeled him a rather normal 16 year old. 16 year olds don't need to be told they're potential alcoholics, and judging by what he's written he most certainly does NOT sound like a typical alcoholic. A typical alcoholic does NOT "go wild" with 2 pints of cider once a week (or whatever). A typical alcoholic (even a potential one) would go on quite bigger binges than he's described. My main point was that almost *every single person I know* that started drinking before the age of 18 started out in a way not that dissimilar to him. They're more or less all "moderate drinkers" today. The ones' remaining (the semi and full-on alcoholics) all exhibited way more extreme behaviour than this (even from the start).

Penis envy? Gad! Kind of missed the point there, matey.

Finally, I'm not even encouraging him to drink. I'm only warning him of some of the extreme FUD some people here have been feeding him, which *most of the time* simply isn't true.

BTW. my fast food comparison (or coffee or bacon) was supposed to illustrate a point. We all do things that we know are bad for us, yet we do them anyway because they make us feel good. That's why I used "fundamental". There is no fundamental difference between "lesser poisons" and "greater poisons", there is only a difference of degree.

Joe nutter said:
I don't recall super sizing your meal having sever consequences with respect to judgement and your state of mind. I also don't recall much concern about abusive households due to excess bacon grease.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

HolySmoke said:
Hey, my only point was that you all autolabeled him an alcoholic.

My only point is that I DID NO SUCH THING. I don't think ANYONE actually did that.

He labeled himself as having a problem.

They're more or less all "moderate drinkers" today. The ones' remaining (the semi and full-on alcoholics) all exhibited way more extreme behaviour than this (even from the start).

Yeah...whatever you say. :rolleyes:

BTW. my fast food comparison (or coffee or bacon) was supposed to illustrate a point. We all do things that we know are bad for us, yet we do them anyway because they make us feel good. That's why I used "fundamental". There is no fundamental difference between "lesser poisons" and "greater poisons", there is only a difference of degree.

Um, sure...OK then, there's no fundamental difference between drinking and crack cocaine...or playing russian roulette for that matter. "It's only a difference of degree."

:rolleyes:

london-boy said:
Joe nutter said:
I don't recall super sizing your meal having sever consequences with respect to judgement and your state of mind. I also don't recall much concern about abusive households due to excess bacon grease.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Have you seen the documentary where the guy only eats mcdonalds for a month? It's *scary*. He said by the end he craved it and other junk food all the time (where he used to eat a reasonable diet). His doctors thought he'd be fine doing it when he started, but told him he had to stop or he might die. This is after only a month!

Nite_Hawk

Joe DeFuria said:
He labeled himself as having a problem.

I really should point out again that he really doesn't have a clue what a drinking problem is. As other posters and myself have already pointed out, he sounds like the typical 21st century 16 year old.

surfhurleydude said:
I really should point out again that he really doesn't have a clue what a drinking problem is. As other posters and myself have already pointed out, he sounds like the typical 21st century 16 year old.

I really should point out again that none of US really have any clue as to what his actual situation is. Describing one "drinking episode" is hardly enough for any outsider to pass any judgement.

I will also point out that trying to convince someone he doesn't have a problem, or isn't in danger of getting into trouble when he already believes he is and therefore desires change, shows the intelligence, maturity, and foresight of the typical 16 year old...from any century.

Posting on a 3d graphics card forum is dumb to be honest, if he has a problem and wants help a 3d graphics forum is probably not that effective.

Doesn't show intelligence at all. Probably just an impulse.

dizietsma said:
Posting on a 3d graphics card forum is dumb to be honest, if he has a problem and wants help a 3d graphics forum is probably not that effective.

Ever talk to a friend about a personal problem? Was that friend a trained psychologist or therapist?

dizietsma said:

So, um, where should he have turned in order to be intelligent, in your opinion I mean. His parents, perhaps? Remember, he said they don't even know he drinks. Buddies perhaps? Dunno 'bout you, but most people have friends more likely to call him a wuss rather than have something helpful to say.

Internet message boards on the other hand brings with them a layer of safety through anonymity, and hopefully some smart people. And with that I don't mean the eejit neanderthals going 'it's safe, it's fun, you're normal, and hey, everybody's doing it so why shouldn't you?' type of people. Those who seeks to legitimize their own deviant behavior by making others copy themselves.

dizietsma said:

this part of the forum is not a 3D graphics forum.
Also, he is much more likely to find help here than from his parents or his "friends". There are quite a lot of mature people around here that can give him a little help.

overclocked said:
You are not a alcoholic Paul. 8)
Gotta agree with OCed, you're way too early in your drinking career to even know if you're an alcoholic or not.

To whoever said, "asking for help with a drinking problem on a tech board is stupid" or whatever; nuts to you!

I happen to highly value the input of this board on a lot of problems/questions I have that aren't computer related. You have an impressive assemblage of brainpower & life experience here, as well as the afore mentioned partial anonymity and privacy. (Well, not really for me...but it's not like I care about it. ;) )

The boards have helped me a lot on a number of issues that I didn't have anyone else to talk to about in my life, and I will always try and help out someone else who seeks help/advice if I can to try and repay that.

Back