My name is Paul, I'm 16, and I have a drinking problem.

My total alcohol consumption can fit inside of a shot glass. So i might not be the best person for this.

You sound like you have a bad drinking problem, to the point that you should serioiusly consider AA. Ive had friends with drinking problem, but dont think they have ever gone to the point of asking their mom to buy beer.

How often do you drink to this point?

epic

A little more details and I may be of some help. My brother has a bad alcohol problem and he had dealt with it for a long time. He went to many AA meetings and was clean for a good three years. Then he got depressed one day and his life is all jacked up again.

It can be hard just to stop but that really is the only way sometimes. I do not drink much for the very reason. I know I don't have alcoholism and when I do get drunk I'm the type to just lay down and sleep, but it's nto a good mentality to have.

Really, the best way is not to drink at all.

I started drinking around 15-16 when my parents got divorced, I prefered being fucked up to dealing with reality since it didn't make much sense to me.

It FUCKED me up, bad!

I can't even begin to describe how huge of a negative my alcohol abuse was to my life and all those around me who loved me, I seriously can't because an awful lot of it is just gone from my memories...I have a lot of missing gaps in my life and it ain't no fun not knowing what you've done. :?

I was lucky though, I didn't kill/hurt anyone or die myself. I survived about a decade of serious alcohol/drug abuse, but by the end of that time I had hit rock bottom and had nothing but the clothes on my back and was living under a bridge and eating out of dumpsters. There just ain't a whole lot of happy endings down that road.

Get some help, you're either going to eventually get some help to get over it or you're going to die a horrible and lonely death after hurting/alienating everyone you love/care about.

You know you have a problem, that's the first step. Now take the second step and decide if you want to continue to have the problem or if you're ready to change a few things to try and make it better.

The choice is really that simple, and it really is up to you.

The story with your mom is really sad. I know i'd have felt terrible to go and tell my mum to buy me some beer. I mean wtf?! Now you've got a good chance to improve things though, so good luck!

Look i'm not the best one for this .

My one friend had a very bad drinking problem when we were 19. He did the aa route.

I just told myself to cut back.

So one night i got myself a bottle of whisky my fav. Sat my sister down. Told her to count how many glasses i had before i got stupid .

Did that a few times. Once i learned what i could drink and feel good but not be shit faced and out of my mind . I stayed at that limit .

freshman year of college it was not unusual for me to have 30 beers and keep drinking through the night.

We used to pratice to repeat the scene in animal house where john just chugs down a jack daniels bottle .

I don't think you need aa yet. I think u need to just get in control of yourself .

Paul you know the problem, just sit calmly and think what you need to do now and do it. Don't complicate things.

I have nothing against AA as I worked the program for a while and it kept me clean for about a 6 months, but it didn't work out.

I finally just quit years later because I hated waking up feeling like shit every morning, and with children to care for I couldn't afford to be innebriated nor hung-over in case they needed me.

I guess I just got tired of hurting myself and avoiding life, but I couldn't see it that way when I was doing it.

I'll still fire up some doobage from time to time when everyone is gone/asleep, but that doesn't incapacitate me nor make me feel bad in the am. And I kind of freaked last Friday 'cause my wife brought home a 6 of bock beer and a 4 pack of margarita wine coolers for the 4th weekend, and I think she had 1 beer the whole weekend and that was it.

I guess I just don't feel the urge to not feel like me anymore, I like me. :)

Good luck either way, I'll be glad to lend an ear/keyboard if'n you want to chat.

I've been drinking since i was 14 and got wasted tonnes of times when i was about 15 its kinda part of growing up here in the UK. My parents always offered me alchol and said "feel free as long as you don't over do it" and the only times I ever have is when its been with friends and I didn't have work the next day. I'm now 19 (20 next friday (!!!)), and I regularly have a few beers with friends at weekends, and while some of them take it further I can't help but reach for the bottled water.

I just like the taste of beer, and have a few to relax with friends, then work it off during the week. I think that pattern may come with age, and if you've just started binge drinking I'd think about where and why you do it more than if you should. I've asked my mom to buy beers many times, but because i asked she usually just said "yeah sure, anythin else?".

Alchol isn't evil if you respect the damage it can do to you and realise that every sip is putting on weight, adding cholestrol and killing brain cells. Excercise plenty, get a good diet and never drink alone and you should be fine. If that doesn't work consider giving it up for a while. Getting drunk aint that great, its the social fun thats the enjoyable part.

They always say that admitting you have a problem is the first step to solving it, so you are already on the right road. However, don't beat up on yourself too bad because, sad as it is, over indulging in alcohol is a pretty normal part of being a teenager and is a phase most people progress through naturally. Have a read of http://www.factsontap.org/collexp/Collmain.htm

after the semester ended this year (beginning of may), I was drinking heavily every weekend, it seemed fun, but it every week it just dawned on me that it could be a problem. I forced myself away from hanging out with my buddies for awhile so I could just not end up drinking :)

Dude, you apparently don't know what a drinking problem is....

To me you just sound like a typical 16 year old kid that has a social life. When I was in high school, I knew people that got locked up for multiple DUIs and shit like that... That's a real drinking problem, when you drink every night, by yourself if no one is around, and then like to drive all over the place.

I think the only problem with your drinking is that you don't know how to space your drinks out so that you can stay up past 1:00 :)

Paul,

Releax :)

By being too hard on yourself, you're only going going to stress yourself out more, thus permeating the problem.

The amount of stupidity regarding alcohol consumption in this thread just boggles the mind.

Don't you stupid fucks understand alcohol is a motherfucking POISON?

There's no DIFFERENCE between drinking yourself stupid and squeezing glue into a bag and sniffing the fumes, it's POISON in both cases, only that one of them comes in liquid form.

Teenagers and kids in particular are even more heavily affected by it, becoming an alcoholic is VERY easy at this age and NOT really something you want to have in your baggage for the rest of your life.

Anyone that's firied off a "it's just part of growing up", "you're normal", "you sound just like me" or some bullshit like that in this thread is so irresponsible it makes me want to reach out through your monitor screen and strangle your worthless ass to death before you ruin another human being's life!

Don't you people GET IT? Getting drunk isn't "fun", it's DANGEROUS.

Not just for the fact you can become addicted, or overdose so your heart/breathing stops or passing out and choking on your own vomit, you could stumble in front of a car or down a flight of stairs and break your fricken neck or get in a knife fight and get stabbed to death or any number of other things.

People are so stupid sometimes. GET A CLUE GUYS! Alcohol and teens don't mix.

Guden, sorry man, but I simply disagree with your post. Please, don't think that everyone is a moron because they actually had social lives in high school. Statistics PROVE that 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol before, and about half of overall student population in high schools across the country drink.

I'm sorry, but statistics just prove you must have been a dork in high school.

Your post is the biggest crock of crap I've ever seen in my life.

Sniffing glue can cause permanent mental problems when used, and kills a tremendous amount of brain cells...

Alcohol is a poison... Waaa Waa Waaa, who cares if it is a poison or not, it is a poison that is LEGAL and that has been used for thousands of years to liven the party up. Jesus Christ was asked by the Virgin Mary herself to make more wine because the party they were at ran out of things for the attendees to get drunk with!!!

Overdose on alcohol? Do you realize that alcohol poisoning is extremely rare? The chances of someone getting alcohol poisoning by simply chugging beer is EXTREMELY low... Beer bongs and such can get you alcohol poisoning, but if you knew anything about drinking at all, you'd know that the chances of puking from binge drinking are much higher than getting alcohol poisoning. Why is this? Because all of the liquid enters your stomach at the same time and causes you to vomit it up. Horror stories about drinking do happen. Horror stories about walking down the street happen as well.

The scenarios you listed are all scenarios that can occur without being drunk as well.

Do everyone a favor and please erase your post... I know I'm not alone when I say I don't want some social outcast telling me how dangerous drinking is when you probably haven't even drank before. I've been drinking for years now and I'm fine... I've only seen 4 people get alcohol poisoning in the past 7 years I've been drinking, and none of them were anywhere near fatal. Once again, I know it sounds harsh, but you really sound like a kid that has been kept in the closet by your parents and fed BS to keep you from having fun. I'm sure you also think smoking marijuana will immediately make you addicted and you'll be selling all of your possessions for some pot and then sucking penis for some dope, right?

surfhurleydude said:
Guden, sorry man, but I simply disagree with your post. Please, don't think that everyone is a moron because they actually had social lives in high school.

I side much more with Guden than you.

What I really object to...is your apparent notion that alchol consumption is somehow married to "a social life."

And statements like this:

I'm sorry, but statistics just prove you must have been a dork in high school.

Make that notion more than apparent.

People like yourself are actually the root of the problem IMO...people who likely tended to "ridicule dorks" (peer pressure) into doing something "because it's promoted as socially normal, and if you don't do it, you'll be cast aside as abnormal."

The fact that alcohol and drugs in general is "promoted as a social norm" among teens is exactly the problem.

I know I'm not alone when I say I don't want some social outcast telling me how dangerous drinking is when you probably haven't even drank before.

Again, I find it telling that you accuse Guden of being a "social outcast" because of his position on teen drinking? What if I said you're just "too weak" to actually have a social life without the crutch of alcohol?! I say if your social life depends on alcohol, your social life is an illusion.

I've been drinking for years now and I'm fine...

Too easy...

That's not the problem, Joe. I don't have a problem with people who don't drink. In high school, I had friends that didn't drink, and I respected their choices not to drink. But they also respected MY choice to drink, and so did all of the faculty at the school...

At my high school graduation my principal said, and I quote:

"I'm not even going to tell you all not to drink during all of your graduation festivities. I'm just going to say that please don't do anything stupid while you are drinking, and please don't drink and drive, just stay where you are at and have a safe fun time."

Teachers aren't ignorant, neither are parents.

This Guden character obviously has some issues, he doesn't seem to respect Paul's choice to drink, and his "statements" are utterly ridiculous. They sound EXACTLY like what I said - someone who has been force fed propaganda their whole lives and kept in a closet.

The thing that even puzzles me more is the fact that he is not from America - the only country that even HAS a problem with drinking... :rolleyes:

Again, I find it telling that you accuse Guden of being a "social outcast" because of his position on teen drinking? What if I said you're just "too weak" to actually have a social life without the crutch of alcohol?! I say if your social life depends on alcohol, your social life is an illusion.

What are you talking about? Have you never attended a frat party or any kind of party or something? You make it sound as if someone's social life depends on drinking, which is totally not the case... It is just something that people with a pre existing social life do! I have to admit though, this forum on the internet is the only place that I've encountered people with such strong viewpoints against drinking, and it's very strange.

For communications class during high school I stood up and gave what was probably a rather long-winded speech against alcohol consumption. And, yes, the jocks and ultra-hip/popular kids were the first to start laughing. Even the teacher was laughing at the apparent silliness of my speech. One thing I will never forget is that one of the kids laughing had been thrown through his car's front windshield when he struck a tree after being placed behind the wheel to drive home from a party by his friends because he was too intoxicated to walk over to his car. And his face was a patchwork of scars that everyone knew was going to permanently disfigure him for the rest of his life. But he sat there, his face a ruined mess, laughing with the very friends who'd placed him behind the wheel.

John Reynolds said:
For communications class during high school I stood up and gave what was probably a rather long-winded speech against alcohol consumption. And, yes, the jocks and ultra-hip/popular kids were the first to start laughing. Even the teacher was laughing at the apparent silliness of my speech. One thing I will never forget is that one of the kids laughing had been thrown through his car's front windshield when he struck a tree after being placed behind the wheel to drive home from a party by his friends because he was too intoxicated to walk over to his car. And his face was a patchwork of scars that everyone knew was going to permanently disfigure him for the rest of his life.

Well what is wrong with ultra-hip/popular kids? I was a jock, a popular kid if you will, in high school. I attended every single party there was, I'd host parties, etc. etc. etc. You make it sound like I'm some sort of evil, elitist asshole or something. I had friends from ALL social classes, ALL cliques... True, I didn't hang out with the geeks or anything, but I knew them well enough to talk to them in class or say hey to them in the hallway. I don't know how things were when you were in high school, but when I was in high school, pretty much everyone drank from all social groups, and pretty much the only people that didn't drink were the kids of average intelligence that wanted to appear smarter than everyone else by studying all the time to make good grades while some of us just got them fine. I partied all throughout high school and managed to make it into a very prestigious univeristy without any problem at all. Yes, shit does happen. People can get into accidents. But that's their own damn fault for drinking and driving. My philosophy is that if you're dumb enough to drink and drive, then you deserve whatever happens to you. And if you end up killing someone else, or more than one person, hopefully their souls will automatically enter heaven for being taken too early, and the drunk driver will go straight to hell.

surfhurleydude said:
That's not the problem, Joe. I don't have a problem with people who don't drink.

No, you have a problem with people promoting NOT drinking. They are labelled as "dorks...socially inept?"

Teachers aren't ignorant, neither are parents.

I disagree. I think many teachers / parents prefer to be ignorant when it comes to their kids social lives, rather than actually see what's going on.

This Guden character obviously has some issues, he doesn't seem to respect Paul's choice to drink,

Um, if I'm not mistaken, PAUL doesn't have respect for his choice to drink (which lead to his current situation and hence this thread.)

...and his "statements" are utterly ridiculous. They sound EXACTLY like what I said - someone who has been force fed propaganda their whole lives and kept in a closet.

And your statements sound like someone who ignores the inherent danges of alcohol right up until someone gets killed.

The thing that even puzzles me more is the fact that he is not from America - the only country that even HAS a problem with drinking... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Indeed. Sorry that Paul seems to confuse your whole world view on alcohol though...

What are you talking about? Have you never attended a frat party or any kind of party or something?

Of course.

Have you ever attended a party at which there was no alcohol?

You make it sound as if someone's social life depends on drinking, which is totally not the case... It is just something that people with a pre existing social life do!

I'm still trying to figure that statement out...

Back