My impressions from Digiexpo, Finnish Digital Entertainment Fair.

.Melchiah.

Regular
Digiexpo opened today in Helsinki, Finland, and naturally I went to see what was happening there. I knew beforehand that Wii and Gears of War would be available to try out there, but to my surprise a handful of PS3 games were also presented in playable form. I realize my impressions may raise some eyebrows, but... what the hell, I'll put my flameproof suit on and just let it all out.

PS3
When I entered the hall I first headed towards the PlayStation area (what did you expect?), and although there was no news about PS3 being presented I felt let down when all I could see was PSP stands. That is, until I noticed a dark-classed area that stood high above the rest of the PlayStation ground. I raced up the stairs and then came the moment I had been waiting for, the moment I lost my PS3 virginity. There were four PS3s inside the circular space, with 1080p LCDs attached to them. One of them was running MotorStorm, the next Ridge Racer 7, and the other two were running Resistance. I felt my hymen break.

While I waited my turn to try MotorStorm, I noticed the PS3 units sitting under the LCDs. Due to my excitement and uncontrollable drooling, I hadn't noticed them until that moment. I must say the PS3 looked even bigger than I expected, nevertheless, I liked the way it looked now that I saw it in front of me for the first time. Too bad no touching or rubbing was allowed. Oh, I tried to listen whether the unit is as silent as it's said to be, but that was impossible in all the surrounding noise.
Eventually I had to stop ogling the unit, when my turn came to play the game. I chose the motorbike and off I went. The game looked amazing, with all the foliage, shadows, and flying mud and engine parts. There was occasional slow downs, nothing catastrophic though, and I must agree with some of the comments that the game felt a bit too slow. Until I found the boost button, and flew like a greased lightning. Apparently the game has unlimited boost(?).
The controls were good, but I didn't like the idea that throttle is handled by shoulder trigger (R2), instead of X button. BTW, I liked the feel of the new L2 and R2 buttons. I enjoyed my brief moment with the game, and it's definitely going to be on my shopping list next year. Although there might be one annoying flaw with the game. A flaw, that should be very familiar to those who've played FlatOut. The irritating crash animation you get every time you crash onto something. I really, really, hope it can be skipped, or perhaps set entirely off from game options.

Next I went to try out Ridge Racer 7.I assume it was running at 1080p/60fps like previously mentioned, because it looked noticeably sharper than the other two games. And unlike in MotorStorm, I witnessed no slow downs in RR7. A standard arcade game, but very enjoyable one, mainly due to the controls. I absolutely loved the way the drifting has been changed since RR5. And no more does the speed go as much down as it did in RR5 when you pumped to the street corners or other cars. The part of the track where I drove inside a tunnel under a waterfall looked marvellous, and the wet road had even an effect on handling of the car. Perhaps not a must-have title, as in its core it's just another arcade racer, but I think I'll buy it when the time comes.

Time for Resistance. First of all I have to say I'm not going to get this game, due to the exclusion of keyboard and mouse support. And for some odd reason the shooting was handled by R1, instead of R2.
The graphics were crisp, and the animation and fire looked fantastic. I also liked the game's sounds, especially those of the weapons.
My very brief moment with the game was nothing but embarassing. It just felt awkward to try to control it with a pad. Although my girlfriend's sister's boyfriend, who plays in some Halo clan, seemed to have no troubles playing it. Resistance could be a game for you if you like to play FPS games with a pad. It seemed like an enjoyable game, especially the part where the big mechanical spider entered the warzone. I'd buy the game instantly if KB&M would be supported, sadly that isn't going to happen.

All in all, the experience of playing few of the PS3 games for the first time was very positive, and I was amazed by the graphics eventhough I've seen and played few of the 360 games. Not to say the 360 games look inferior, but nevertheless, the PS3 games made an impression on me.

Wii
After leaving the PlayStation area I headed towards the Wii area. I briefly watched some people play The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports and Mario Soccer (or something like that), sadly Red Steel wasn't there. I tried Excite Truck myself, which was also the first time I tried the new controller. I was surprised it actually worked in a racing game (damn, I forgot to try whether the MotorStorm demo had motion sensing included), although too careless or strong movements sent my truck somewhere in the woods. I like racing games with speed and jumps, but the level of speed in Excite Truck was at times a bit too much. Overall, it seemed like a fun game.

I have to say none of the Wii games got me excited, but that's the way it has always been with Nintendo. I'm not saying the games weren't good, they just weren't for me.
The graphics of the Wii games totally underwhelmed me. I know it's not the focus of the platform, even still, they looked like games from the previous generation.

From the land of Wii, I walked towards the 360 area. I had hoped to try out Lost Planet, but to my disappointment it wasn't there. But there was a large area completely devoted to Gears of War, with five units running the game, three of them with larger Samsung LCD displays attached.

After some guy left, I jumped on the bag chair to have some chainsawmachinegunfun. Then something weird happened. When I picked up the controller, a text appeared on the screen advicing me to take out the CD and wipe it with soft cloth. There were no personnel around, apart from the blood-drenched bodybuilder in marine outfit. Unlike the PS3s the 360ies weren't put inside plastic cases, so I opened the disc tray, and to my amazement there was no disc inside. Luckily at that point some other guy left and I got to try another 360.

The game looked and sounded marvellous; the shadowy rundown surroundings, the splattering blood, the distant shouts and gunshots. Frighteningly vivid.

I'm sure I'm sticking my foot in a pile of cowdung with this, but I honestly thought in some ways Resistance looked better than GoW. Most notable difference was the level of antialiasing, at times the aliasing in GoW really caught my eye.

Oddly, none of the consoles at Digiexpo had control maps attached to them, and of all the games I tried, Gears of War suffered the most due to its more complex controls. I tried to do some of the stuff I've seen in the videos, like sprinting or using the chainsaw, but failed. A friend of mine tried it next, I don't know whether it was because he's used to the Xbox controller or what, but he was immediately on first name basis with the game. I decided to be the voyeur and watch them play from the side, which proved to be much more satisfactory for me.

Gears of War seems to be a game to look forward to, and I think I'd get it myself if it ever comes to PC. Eventhough it's a third person game, I found myself wanting to be able to play it with keyboard and mouse.

Do you know anything about the dates of the builds at the show? Just saying because its been noted that motorstorm has gotten all kinds of enhancements including speed in it's latest build, it sounds like you may have played the TGS build.

Anyways, thanks for your impressions, it sounds overall like great stuff.
Gears of War, Resistance, and Motorstorm should all be amazing. :D

and for what it's worth, im with you on the mouse and keyboard stuff, i prefer that much more than controller gameplay, but I guess I dont have much of a choice for the time being.

Sadly the mouse & keyboard can't be supported for games like Resistance because it would totally unbalance the online game. Controller will have nothing against mouse and keyboard. Simple fact, sad but true.

Sadly the mouse & keyboard can't be supported for games like Resistance because it would totally unbalance the online game. Controller will have nothing against mouse and keyboard. Simple fact, sad but true.

I will try not to de-rail the thread to much, but since the OP made the original opinion on K&M I am going to continue.

Only complaints I can see come from PC gamers who play at least 75% of their games on that platform (just a made up guesstimate.)

I originally was a 100% PC gamer, but have since made the switch to almost 100% Console gamer. The whole K&M thing is way over-rated. Evidently there is a HUGE advantage to playing with K*M, but I have not come across any FPS console games were K&M seems really neccesary. I think the consoles have a great balance on gamepage gaming for FPS'es.

Plus most of the time you always have the option to adjust the sensitivity.

I don't expect many 1st, or 3rd party main titles to utilize K&M for PS3 due to the reasons stated above. Especially if they are Online/Multiplayer. If they end up doing something like making it usable in Single Player and unusable in Online, I will give them some Kudos.

Besides that I don't really want to be sitting on my couch or recliner with a keyboard in my lap, and worrying about a level surface for my mouse.

On a mini-side note, the Wii has a similar effect to me. Last thing I want to do playing any videogame is standing on my feet for 2-4 hours imitating bowling, or swinging a zelda sword. Has a cool factor, but the novelty to me would seem to wear off pretty fast.

Great impressions ! I really want to try GoW and Resistance...Thanks for sharing.

PS : Actually, I got a little stuck figuring out this one : "my girlfriend's sister's boyfriend". I haven't slept well for three days in a row so that's must be it ! :LOL:

Controller will have nothing against mouse and keyboard. Simple fact, sad but true.

Except fun factor, for me anyway.
Anyways I have heard that the Digiexpo Motorstom build is quite old, apparently the same as the slower one at TGS (didn't they have two builds there?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know anything about the dates of the builds at the show? Just saying because its been noted that motorstorm has gotten all kinds of enhancements including speed in it's latest build, it sounds like you may have played the TGS build.

Anyways, thanks for your impressions, it sounds overall like great stuff.
Gears of War, Resistance, and Motorstorm should all be amazing. :D

and for what it's worth, im with you on the mouse and keyboard stuff, i prefer that much more than controller gameplay, but I guess I dont have much of a choice for the time being.

I've no idea about the date of MotorStorm demo. Which reminds me, that the information provided in the PS3 area was seriously lacking when compared to what was provided in the 360 area. There were piles of professionally printed mini-magazines available, which mostly concentrated on Gears of War and Halo 3. Whereas in the PS3 area there was nothing to be seen. I went to the information booth and asked whether they had any brochures available, and all I got was a photocopied paper which described the advantages of Cell and Blu-Ray. I was not impressed.

Oh, are scans of free magazines allowed here? I ask, because I think the 360 mag featured some previously unseen screens of Halo 3.

It's sad that some of us may be forced to skip games like Resistance, just because keyboard and mouse still isn't supported in the console world. Come to think of it, Unreal Tournament on PS2 is the only game I know which has supported KB&M combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except fun factor, for me anyway.
Anyways I have heard that the Digiexpo Motorstom build is quite old, apparently the same as the slower one at TGS (didn't they have two builds there?)

Well fun factor obviously is on the controllers side when you are sitting on your couch but if you can sit comfortably with your keyboard and mouse, it will be a tough call. Seriously though, it would unbalance the game, mouse is just too easy for aiming, controller isn't that bad for aiming but it really takes the fun away when you are aiming with a controller and someone just strafes like an A-hole and hits you with every bullet from miles away. I'm half PC gamer and half console gamer, but I have to go with mouse and keyboard on FPS. Only FPS game I had on my PS2 was Timesliptters. ;) The first one was pretty cool when you played it with your friends. It took some time to get used to aiming with the controller though.

Overall though, Wii, PS3 and Xbox360 games seem to be shaping up nicely.

Well fun factor obviously is on the controllers side when you are sitting on your couch but if you can sit comfortably with your keyboard and mouse, it will be a tough call. Seriously though, it would unbalance the game, mouse is just too easy for aiming, controller isn't that bad for aiming but it really takes the fun away when you are aiming with a controller and someone just strafes like an A-hole and hits you with every bullet from miles away. I'm half PC gamer and half console gamer, but I have to go with mouse and keyboard on FPS. Only FPS game I had on my PS2 was Timesliptters. ;) The first one was pretty cool when you played it with your friends. It took some time to get used to aiming with the controller though.

Overall though, Wii, PS3 and Xbox360 games seem to be shaping up nicely.

Well imo the analog stick layout in DS or Sixaxxis is not good, making fps or any other game that uses two sticks at the same time unpleasant. Xbox1 and X360 controller however works fine, I wouldn't want to play against kb/m players with them though, as those are clearly much more effective, but as for fun I'll go with pad. I mostly play singleplayer anyways. I play PC-games too.

Back