Musk bought Twitter, what hasn't gone wrong?

I don't think I've ever had as much fun watching a train wreck as I am with this one! :D
Watch his latest talk in Indonesia G20 meeting. It seems he's really stressed out much more than when tesla and SpaceX risk going bankruptcy.

Or maybe that was just because his house was having electricity blackout, so he was video calling in the dark.

Btw so Elon does have a house...

Twitter is still here this morning. It didn't shut down. My feeling is that it will go through some ups & downs over the next few days, but I think it has a good chance to continue. It definitely won't be the same Twitter. Will it be better? Debatable. I enjoy my time there & as along as it's up I will continue to be there, but I have an account on Mastodon( https://mstdn.social/@AzBat360 ) if things go South.

Here's a pretty good thread about one engineer's reason for leaving. Don't fault him one bit. If you don't have faith in the vision of the company it's best just to leave. No need being stressed & miserable at work.

P.S.

Tommy McClain
"far left" 🤣

Whenever a rich guy fails blame "communism" 🤣

A large portion of Twitter's financial organization, including its payroll department, left the company on Thursday in response to an ultimatum from Elon Musk that has seemingly backfired.

Along with the payroll department resigning, Twitter's US Tax team and its financial reporting team also resigned, two people familiar with the matter said, matching several internal messages seen by Insider. All three segments of the company were part of Twitter's finance and accounting organization. While accounting was "less impacted" by resignations on Thursday, that part of the organization is smaller now, too, one of the people said.

Employees are set to get paid again next week, one former worker said. While those payments are likely to have been already approved, the next round of payments will not have been, the person said.

"What happens in another two weeks?" the person asked. "When everyone who can approve something is gone."

I actually think it will survive and there were too many people but this whole thing has been so ridiculous and awful. I just hope the genius trope is finally dead with a stake through its heart. He is smart sure, but we have 8 billion people in earth there are millions of people who are smarter they just didn't get the same luck and fawning from the media. Those millions will do much more for the world if they to have access to resources. And let's be honest you don't need to be super smart to make a positive difference in the world.

I actually think it will survive and there were too many people but this whole thing has been so ridiculous and awful. I just hope the genius trope is finally dead with a stake through its heart. He is smart sure, but we have 8 billion people in earth there are millions of people who are smarter they just didn't get the same luck and fawning from the media. Those millions will do much more for the world if they to have access to resources. And let's be honest you don't need to be super smart to make a positive difference in the world.

That trope will never die and it’s mostly a misnomer.

Business people like Musk are akin to professional athletes. You can find plenty of people who are just as athletic or talented as Lebron or Messi but you can’t find many who also have the hardcore work ethic and ultra competitive will to succeed. That’s a super rare combination. The luck part is being born into a circumstance that exposes those characteristics and allows them to become a core part of one’s persona.

And whether we like it not, while being successful, offering a great work culture and left/work balance is nice, it’s not a prerequisite for success. It’s the main reason we have labor laws.

It's the same old situation where somebody who has achieved great success in one field thinks that their genius allows them to succeed in other fields - even if they don't really understand them.

Now, I know he was involved in software and service companies earlier in his career, but I doubt that he was deciding too much policy when he was at Paypal and their service has very clearly delineated requirements. A social network thing such as twitter is vast and sprawling with way, way more things that can go wrong. The Mosquito Capital thread posted by BRiT shows complexities of keeping twitter operational (and within the bounds of the law) and I very much doubt that Musk had an inkling of all the legal requirements and the implications of culling so many staff.

Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink? You're dealing with the laws of physics (plus some politicking, of course), to get these products working properly. Human nature doesn't come into it which is not exactly the case with twitter. And lots of humans are absolute arseholes.

It's the same old situation where somebody who has achieved great success in one field thinks that their genius allows them to succeed in other fields - even if they don't really understand them.

Now, I know he was involved in software and service companies earlier in his career, but I doubt that he was deciding too much policy when he was at Paypal and their service has very clearly delineated requirements. A social network thing such as twitter is vast and sprawling with way, way more things that can go wrong. The Mosquito Capital thread posted by BRiT shows complexities of keeping twitter operational (and within the bounds of the law) and I very much doubt that Musk had an inkling of all the legal requirements and the implications of culling so many staff.

Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink? You're dealing with the laws of physics (plus some politicking, of course), to get these products working properly. Human nature doesn't come into it which is not exactly the case with twitter. And lots of humans are absolute arseholes.

Musk’s “genius” is his ability to create slave driving like work environments using ultra smart people to create successful products that disrupt whole markets. Musk is disruptive by nature.

The problem with Twitter is that it’s not a relatively small and young company devoid of a well established culture. Whose business operates outside the established norms of the market.

Musk is probably the least qualified to smoothly transform Twitter into a very profitable business.

Tells you a lot about the board and major shareholders of Twitter. They were more interested in dumping Twitter and seeing a return versus really caring about the future of the company and it’s employees.

Last edited:
Tells you a lot about the board and major shareholders of Twitter. They were more interested in dumping Twitter and seeing a return versus really caring about the future of the company and it’s employees.

That is their fracking job. The employees are just a means to the returns.

The firings will keep happening until morale is improved!

Musk Considers Further Twitter Layoffs in Sales on Monday​

Elon Musk is considering firing more Twitter Inc. employees as soon as Monday, this time targeting the sales and partnership side of the business after mass resignations among engineers on Thursday, according to people familiar with the matter.

Back