[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

I played a few rounds of BF3 beta yesterday. Looks awesome ! ^_^
The environment looks well lit up. A little surprised to see so much foliage and details despite all the activities and explosions around the map.

Gameplay-wise, I guess it's going for more realistic play. Took only a 2-3 hits to get killed ? I kept getting killed and had to scurry back to the objectives. Will have to change my habits from playing R3 and KZ3. Those games have long health bar. :)

Also need to learn the icons and HUD. I have totally no clue what they are trying to tell me at this point. I threw a grenade behind my teammates accidentally, and it also fell a tree, which is great !

R3 was a huge disappointment to me from playing the demo, it looks ugly in sub-HD and has way more framedrops than R2, nothing about the graphics was particularly impressive and the gameplay just felt rehash of R2.

You mean the R3 SP demo in the EU Store ? Which map does the demo use ? It's not up in US store yet.

R3 is similar to R2, but the SP gameplay is actually very different because of the weapon wheel and upgradable weapons. The demo is probably too easy if you don't have to use these features. ^_^

R2 is also different from R3 in that the health bar was (way) too short for a run-n-gun game. So you can't really duke it out with the Chimeras in the open. You have to find shelter quickly.

Battlefield 3 was incredibly fun though and that's what matters, despite what one thinks of the graphics. It's extremely addictive but I'm still going to have to put it off for a while as I still haven't got all my weapons platinum on BC2 and I imagine BF3 will be the biggest time sink to enter my life should I get it. Also I forgot to mention the destruction has improved a lot too; grenades and guns blow chunks out support columns, concrete railing, buildings and the usual but in many more 'steps' than BC2; so there's like 20 'chips' per wall rather than the entire wall blowing up in smoke ala BC2. The new knife stealth kills are pretty neat as well; you just knife when you're behind an enemy and you get a cool killing animation and their dogtag. I am worried about how the framerate will hold up in larger maps with tanks, jets and other vehicles and their projectiles and explosions spewing dust, smoke and fire everywhere though, just from what I've seen in metro.

I can see the combat rush because of all the destructions and people die easily. I'll need to meet up with the GAF folks for this game since I can't achieve much alone.

Anyway I like the idea of betas: being able to improve a game, for instance in the End War beta Ubisoft fixed LOADS of the bugs I submitted. They had, however, a well set out bug/ improvement reporting page online and I don't see something like that for BC3 so they're really just testing server load and performance and fixing any big glitches that get showcased on YouTube.

Yeah, I think it depends on many factors. e.g., How close the beta is to the launch, how stable is the beta to begin with, how fast can the developers turn around the fix ? etc. If the beta is too rough and takes too long to fix, it scares people away.

Also need to learn the icons and HUD. I have totally no clue what they are trying to tell me at this point.

Yeah the HUD can be a bit too busy at times. Also some text seems a bit more transparent or smaller, like the rewards points for healing teammates, so it's not immediately apparent. Some things seems a bit easier to follow in BFBC2, but I'm sure I just need to adjust and get used to the new HUD.

Huh, I hadn't noticed that. Strange since in BC2 you could blow the crap out of trees and other foliage.

Trees blow up fine,it's just the bushes that don't,and its really needed more than ever with prone:devilish:

Destroying all vegetation was a main tactic for me in BC2:p

Trees blow up fine,it's just the bushes that don't,and its really needed more than ever with prone:devilish:

Destroying all vegetation was a main tactic for me in BC2:p

In 1943 the tank driver had that awesome machinegun for alternate fire. I'd use it to clear out the bush, to give myself better viewing angles. Was a little harder to do in BC2.

Yeah, the addition of prone has already increased the number of campers. When the attacking team destroys the first set of MCOM stations, quite a few a-holes hang back to camp the spawn area. Prone makes it nearly impossible to spot them before they get you (can you spot in this game like you could in BC2?).

So join a squad and spawn on your squad mates or you'll regret it.

It's a viable tactic, and if you know how to handle it it can backfire badly on the team doing it. Learn to tidy up your respawn area before you move forward then you'll be getting further in to their area before they can dig in.

LOL, yeah. Good luck "tidying" up your spawn area when you're dead as soon as you spawn, with no idea where the prone bastards are. You could probably figure it out after you die three or four times. These people don't care if they lose, they are only concerned about their individual K/D ratios.

Like I said, the best way to deal with it is to join a squad and spawn on one of them.

Yap, I got shot quite often by proning dudes. I wouldn't call them campers. Looks like they were sweeping enemies from popular routes. The amount of firepower laid on us wasn't as terrifying as MAG SVER map anyway. :devilish:

I suspect the map may be too big and complex to ensure a consistent outcome for campers. A few times, I made it all the way to the objective while the defending team was still fighting "in front". Unfortunately, I was too clumsy to do anything useful. :oops:

Had I knew the map well enough, I'm pretty sure I could observe and flank smart *sses who prone in "free for all" areas.

LOL, yeah. Good luck "tidying" up your spawn area when you're dead as soon as you spawn, with no idea where the prone bastards are. You could probably figure it out after you die three or four times. These people don't care if they lose, they are only concerned about their individual K/D ratios.

Like I said, the best way to deal with it is to join a squad and spawn on one of them.

Spawn on squad would be very useful in this game.

Do experienced soldiers get better weapons here ?

Just my .02....

I honestly don't see BF3 picking up many newcomers to the franchise. The game is not "pick up n play" by any means, and can get very frustrating really quick. The only reason I have any idea on what i should be doing is from checking various threads. Now i know this is just a beta but nobody has their mic on(maybe they're in party chat???) so no luck trying to ask squad mates, and the game does a piss poor job explaining what you should be trying to do (IMHO).

Spawn on squad would be very useful in this game.

Do experienced soldiers get better weapons here ?

there is a spawn on squad feature and yes the higher ranks have more unlocks but not sure if I would say better weapons. just more useful tools.

Also for the spawn campers, there is supposed o be a light glint reflection off of a scope of a prone camper/sniper but I have yet to see it.

Big disappointment in the visuals.

I suppose it was foolish to believe the game would have anywhere near the fidelity shown at e3 (obviously on pc), but with some recent advancements in other games (rage, crysis2, gears3) I thought they might have found a way.

I suppose it's a good thing they are pushing things hard in the PC realm though. Should bode well for nextgen developers taking advantage of the hardware when it launches in a year or two.

As is, we are left with a rather ho-hum experience in console land.

there is a spawn on squad feature and yes the higher ranks have more unlucks but not sure if I would say better weapons. just more useful tools.

Also for the spawn campers, there is supposed o be a light glint reflection off of a scope of a prone camper/sniper but I have yet to see it.

I've seen the light reflection thing a few times. Trouble is if your not facing that direction you wont see it at all, so if you spawn at base and just sprint towards the objective w/o looking around you'll never notice it

Big disappointment in the visuals.

I suppose it was foolish to believe the game would have anywhere near the fidelity shown at e3 (obviously on pc), but with some recent advancements in other games (rage, crysis2, gears3) I thought they might have found a way.

I suppose it's a good thing they are pushing things hard in the PC realm though. Should bode well for nextgen developers taking advantage of the hardware when it launches in a year or two.

As is, we are left with a rather ho-hum experience in console land.

it's also multiplayer and we casn not write it off until we see single player

^+1. how many times does this need to be said? judging the visuals of the beta is fair, but to write it off based on the beta is nonsense.

1. it's MP
2. it's a beta
3. we don't know how old the build is

we have been shown SP console footage and it looks great, among the best on console IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry too much about visual disappointments. There will be other maps, vehicles, and more chaos to impress gamers. The primary issue is the initial experience, and it's not unique to this game. I supposed all these "difficult" or realistic shooters have high learning curve. I can't decide whether to accept the steep starting experience as a given, or whether developers can do more to simplify the experience. MAG has essentially the same problem.

I see Dungeonscaper loves the game. If I remember correctly, he's also a very experienced company commander in MAG. He loves this kind of games. :devilish:

If I sink in enough time, I supposed I will like it too. But at this point, it looks like I need every bit of help from the good GAF folks/squad.

Back