[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

It's crazy looking at that, then remembering this is the same game that you can fly jets, choppers etc over a huge sunny battlefield.

SP campaign, coop, best in class MP... (I would have to assume, it's not out yet!)
Value for money or what?

Okay I probably need to calm down.

I met a few BF3 fans in the chatroom. It seems that they keep highlighting server list and dedicated server MP. I am getting the game to see how well organized they are in-game since they have been playing BC2 together.

The flying is indeed nice, but I want to see destruction (I can't fly a plane in games !). KZ3 has impressive set piece destruction. Would love to see more in other games.

An another video off screen capture:
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_battlefield_3_ps3_demo-23017_en.html
I continue to be impressed :oops:

Nice! PS3 version appeared to be holding up pretty well at least in the lighting department and man do I love them reflections. Again I think a deferred lighting implementation like this should be mandatory these days, the environment just seem much more alive with it. I really can't wait to see the console footage of Caspian Borders level, that was simply mind blowing.
So does Beta start next month? We should be getting plenty of raw directfeed captures by then.

Anyone checked BF3 SIGGRAPH papers?There were interesting bits about deferred shading on 360,it put my mind to ease actually.Seems like they are doing cpu/gpu implantation,and they are 720p.

Anyone checked BF3 SIGGRAPH papers?There were interesting bits about deferred shading on 360,it put my mind to ease actually.Seems like they are doing cpu/gpu implantation,and they are 720p.

I didn't found that part on DICE site... is possible to have a link?

Last edited by a moderator:
"More Performance! - Five Rendering Ideas from Battlefield 3 & Need For Speed: The Run":

Presenters: John White (EA Black Box), Colin Barré-Brisebois (EA Montréal / DICE)

Abstract: Abstract: In this talk, the authors will describe several techniques from the upcoming Battlefield 3 and Need for Speed: The Run titles designed to accelerate the rendering behind these games. The goal of their techniques is to increase performance without visual quality sacrifice. They will focus on a novel DirectX 9+ scatter-gather approach to Bokeh rendering, z-buffer reverse-reload tricks for faster shadow, chroma sub-sampling for faster full-screen effects, improved temporally-stable dynamic ambient occlusion and tile-based deferred shading on Xbox 360.

http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/five-rendering-ideas-from-battlefield-3-need-for-speed-the-run

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2011/

"More Performance! - Five Rendering Ideas from Battlefield 3 & Need For Speed: The Run":

Presenters: John White (EA Black Box), Colin Barré-Brisebois (EA Montréal / DICE)

Abstract: Abstract: In this talk, the authors will describe several techniques from the upcoming Battlefield 3 and Need for Speed: The Run titles designed to accelerate the rendering behind these games. The goal of their techniques is to increase performance without visual quality sacrifice. They will focus on a novel DirectX 9+ scatter-gather approach to Bokeh rendering, z-buffer reverse-reload tricks for faster shadow, chroma sub-sampling for faster full-screen effects, improved temporally-stable dynamic ambient occlusion and tile-based deferred shading on Xbox 360.

http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/five-rendering-ideas-from-battlefield-3-need-for-speed-the-run

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2011/
Uh... I have read this part... but about framebuffer on 360 there isn't something of more exhaustive? I'm interested.

You mean shimmering maybe.

No , Aliasing ! See on the rails of Stairs and and thin metal structures against the sky ! Also, specular aliasing on some metal objects. But, then its ok, its on a console after all ! and its all offscreen too, but aliasing, though minimal is visible. Textures are also low res, but it does give a KZ2 vibe in some of the areas ! Looks great overall. :cool:

it would be great if they could have a beta on the ps3, like BFBC2. Then maybe I can decide how different it is from the PC version, and if going for the PS3 version wouldn't disappoint me.

Just downloaded the 'my life' trailer from the psn! Its all PC footage , right? Cos that game, inthat trailer, is freakin beautiful !!!!! No ps3 footage in there, is it ?

I am having a hard time deciding which version to go for finally ! No finances, so PC version is half price in my country, becomes the obvious choice,ie if I get to buy it at all. but I know any fun I'll have will be on the ps3 side, but that version is double in cost and might look too bad when compared to what We have been seeing regarding the game.

:( What does a gamer do ?

You mean shimmering maybe.

Okay you're gonna have to explain the difference between shimmering and aliasing. Because as far as I know shimmering is an obvious manifestation of insufficient sampling frequency, i.e. aliasing.

It's all moot when you're shooting off-screen anyway. Who's to say if the aliasing/shimmering/whatever is coming from the game, the television, or the camera? I wouldn't make too many assumptions until we get some direct-feed video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay you're gonna have to explain the difference between shimmering and aliasing. Because as far as I know shimmering is an obvious manifestation of insufficient sampling frequency, i.e. aliasing.

:?: I could wrong the exact terms, but shimmering in the AA to me is the pop in pixel in motions caused to the post processing custom AA; aliasing is jaggies no?

I'm sure it will have both "shimmer" and "edge aliasing" to some degree. All games do. Probably nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

:?: I could wrong the exact terms, but shimmering in the AA to me is the pop in pixel in motions caused to the post processing custom AA; aliasing is jaggies no?

Okay I thought you meant shimmering as in subpixel aliasing. Specular shimmering, transparencies etc. Theoretically FXAA and some other PP AA techniques should diminish these things but they can also cause artifacts of its own.

Co-op the Battlefield 3 Way:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/31/co-op-the-battlefield-3-way/

We designed co-op to be the perfect blend between the strong narrative from single player and the open-ended action from multiplayer. We are fusing the replayability of multiplayer with a pick up-and-play mentality to create a totally new flavor of Battlefield.

Co-op follows the same philosophy as our award-winning multiplayer game mechanics. Teamwork is practically never forced upon you, but working together will make things much easier and — more importantly — lead to victory.

For the most part, the missions in the co-op campaign are asymmetric. This means that one mission can have you piloting a helicopter while your friend is the gunner, for example. Other situations have one player disarming a bomb and the other one defending him. Or (as you could see in our press conference playthrough at gamescom) you can do tandem kills to avoid detection. There are also other mechanics requiring teamwork, such as spotting enemies to make large firefights easier, or the essential concept of reviving one another to avoid ending up at the game over screen.

The co-op missions in Battlefield 3 all take place in the same world as the single-player campaign, and follow a unique series of events that lead up to an explosive finish. Players in co-op will take the role of soldiers that are not tied to any one particular branch of the Armed Forces. This is an intentional design decision to allow for a vast variety in gameplay in the different co-op missions.

Back