[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

I don't see what the problem is. They did the PS3 version first, and then work on the 360 next. I don't see why BF3 will run badly on 360.

So all this lack of 360 info was just a marketing strategy? Umm...OK. :p

I think he means the choice to market the PS3 version heavily does not mean the 360 version isn't coming along very well, not that staying silent on the 360 version was a marketing strategy for that platform.

There constant tearing really clear when entering the first door.
When i saw the pc trailer and this coop footage lets say i cancelled my 360 preorder and ordered it on origin.

I wouldn't think too hard about tearing and framerate when you're watching a cam vid of gameplay footage from a projector.

I don't see what the problem is. They did the PS3 version first, and then work on the 360 next. I don't see why BF3 will run badly on 360.

Actually I think they worked on both at the same time (with PC being first of course) but had issues getting some things up to snuff on the 360 version. In that sense, I can see some cause for concern.

I guess it just shows graphics are so important, even just your PC version having great graphics will push your game over on console. Just by halo effect. Basically. Honestly it could be a reason for other devs to invest more in PC graphics. The reason MW3 is getting crapped on in internet threads is basically because MW3 PC just basically uses console assets like most PC ports, whereas BF3 PC is a whole nother game. And it's always the BF3 PC version graphics people are thinking about even if the consoles will sell much more in reality.

I think this is very true. Look at all the interest in Crysis 2 on consoles. Muchj of that was down to the Halo effect of Crysis 1 on PC.

Or Alan Wake, did anyone notice how quickly the hype for that died down once the PC version dissapeared? PC hype can definately drive console hype.

Seems a ton of tearing in the footage as well. A ton. Very poor. And this after all the hype from Dice:

Sorry but did you have only noticed the tearing? :???: From what I seen until now this engine work increndible well for an old close hardware, I see a lot of interesting effects for an expensive coop mode... I don't understood how we can't be disappointed about the miracle who dice realize... probably the most impressive multi engine in coming imho until now, it's wonderful how push ps3 how never others haven't done before.... I remind the past quote about the dice complain about the struggle on ps3 development... my hopes is every developer who have this problem should reach the same quality on the platform. :D

So all this lack of 360 info was just a marketing strategy? Umm...OK. :p

yep... several of us assumed this as well... trying to get the PS3 users on board, many of whom feel like red-headed step children from other releases when comparing to the 360 hype.

as mentioned Robert voiced it weeks ago.

Although the one quibble I notice people talking about is the jets are as slow as propeller driven planes... which I'm sure is for balance, but is kind of off putting once you see it.
This is DICE in a nutshell. While they have an excellent gameplay concept, they can't balance it worth a crap.

But.. they made jets slower specifically for balance reasons. BC2 doesn't feel unbalanced IMO.

Sorry but did you have only noticed the tearing? :???: From what I seen until now this engine work increndible well for an old close hardware, I see a lot of interesting effects for an expensive coop mode... I don't understood how we can't be disappointed about the miracle who dice realize... probably the most impressive multi engine in coming imho until now, it's wonderful how push ps3 how never others haven't done before.... I remind the past quote about the dice complain about the struggle on ps3 development... my hopes is every developer who have this problem should reach the same quality on the platform. :D

Having a lot of tearing and what is seemed like a lower than 30fps frame-rate in a linear mission with no destructibility shown is not what I call incredible especially after all the hype for the console versions from Dice...game looks rough and nothing too impressive at least from what I've seen - it's like devs like Dice and Crytek pushing both old systems like the PS3 & 360 to do things that aren't meant to do, well this has already happened for some years now but I personally think that having a stable frame-rate is more important than having a lot of new and shiny effects in the game.

Of course we shall wait and see before judging Dice's (and Crytek with Ryse) first attempt with Frostbite 2.0 but games/engines like these are the reasons why some people think that we need new systems soon.

BTW is motion blur all that expensive for the console versions? I guess it is if Dice won't implement it but IMO the effect is really missing in those 2 PS3 presentations - really curious to see what differences there will be (if any) between the two console versions.

yep... several of us assumed this as well... trying to get the PS3 users on board, many of whom feel like red-headed step children from other releases when comparing to the 360 hype.

as mentioned Robert voiced it weeks ago.

Yep Robert was spot-on about it and we were overeacting but in fact I'm glad that Robert's prediction was right. :p

Having a lot of tearing and what is seemed like a lower than 30fps frame-rate in a linear mission with no destructibility shown is not what I call incredible especially after all the hype for the console versions from Dice...game looks rough and nothing too impressive at least from what I've seen - it's like devs like Dice and Crytek pushing both old systems like the PS3 & 360 to do things that aren't meant to do, well this has already happened for some years now but I personally think that having a stable frame-rate is more important than having a lot of new and shiny effects in the game.

Of course we shall wait and see before judging Dice's (and Crytek with Ryse) first attempt with Frostbite 2.0 but games/engines like these are the reasons why some people think that we need new systems soon.

BTW is motion blur all that expensive for the console versions? I guess it is if Dice won't implement it but IMO the effect is really missing in those 2 PS3 presentations - really curious to see what differences there will be (if any) between the two console versions.

Yep Robert was spot-on about it and we were overeacting but in fact I'm glad that Robert's prediction was right. :p

Can you tell me what exactly is it poor & not so impressive? :???: The lack of a real & complete destructibility (hard to find even in any others game, at least not without sacrifice all the rest of the graphic, however we haven't see so much to judge that, on the console) The tearing or smoothness based on a video offscreen captures? Because the pc version have a lot of more features? :???: Sorry, but I continue to read a lot of critics without a solid tech motivation, if isn't that impressive what else is it on the console? The game full of prebaked light, subhd resolution & more smooth (& not even steady) just for that? I want only an example of a better engine at least to understand what is it the meter of comparison used to complain about FS2 on the ps3, just to be substain a more real conversation.

Can you tell me what exactly is it poor & not so impressive? :???: The lack of a real & complete destructibility (hard to find even in any others game, at least not without sacrifice all the rest of the graphic, however we haven't see so much to judge that, on the console) The tearing or smoothness based on a video offscreen captures? Because the pc version have a lot of more features? :???: Sorry, but I continue to read a lot of critics without a solid tech motivation, if isn't that impressive what else is it on the console? The game full of prebaked light, subhd resolution & more smooth (& not even steady) just for that? I want only an example of a better engine at least to understand what is it the meter of comparison used to complain about FS2 on the ps3, just to be substain a more real conversation.

First of all the game looks pretty good but nothing groundbreaking IMO at least (I'm saying it again) from what I've seen from both gameplay videos of the PS3 version - off screen or not you can notice the constant tearing in places and the drop in the frame-rate when the player went outdoors, otherwise except the lighting which was really cool in places texture quality was not something amazing and as I said the lack of motion blur/object MB is pretty apparent making the game look somewhat sterile and empty.

You're saying that you see criticism without solid technical proof about why this looks just good and not something breathtaking to people like me, sure the features list of Frostbite 2.0 includes deferred rendering, DoF e.t.c. making it sound pretty impressive but it won't change what I saw on both of these videos nor it will make me say wow when I'm not impressed.

Anyway I guess we can judge the game's visuals better when we'll see the beta or some direct feed HD footage.

Heh heh, this is only the tip of the iceberg. The game is still not out yet. The real proof in the game is destructible environment. They haven't shown any yet. These regular gameplay videos of course won't surprise people. I am more curious how they optimize and cut corners to make it possible on the consoles (Might look gnarly but I love it when developers push the envelope regardless).

What they showed so far are interesting in the technical sense. Whether you are impressed or not is a personal question as people pointed out repeatedly last time I checked. ^_^

EDIT: I checked with the dudes in the XMB chatroom again. They are still as excited as ever. So as usual, the game should have its own following if it plays well.

There are some alpha leak vids on youtube. The destruction looks similar to Bad Company 2 in that you can only knock out certain walls, from what I could tell. It didn't look to have the same free-form destruction of Red Faction. That said, the explosions look incredible. Blowing out the entire floor of a building with C4 looks pretty spectacular. I can't wait to play it. Hopefully the console explosions hold up fairly well.

Yeah, I would like to see the final version and set pieces when everything is put together. Clearing room to room is not so interesting IMHO. Granted, it's difficult to integrate all these techs on so many platforms.

Limiting the destruction would not be surprising since I'm skeptical about the destruction believability on consoles in the first place. But still, I would love to see how far developers can go.

Destruction like this would be awesome!!!!

Unfortunately I think it would be nearly impossible to balance out the gameplay with so many tanks, jets and helicopters. Infantry wouldn't last long.

Back