[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Yes, I expected as much - but of course, does this then mean that the PS3 version is being shown at E3?

Don't think it's the first. LA Noire is pretty good too and it's out already. I'm sure you can find others if you think longer.

Not really, LA Noire for a long time was a PS3 exclusive - a better indication of the RAGE engine is Rockstars work on RDR and GTA4 where the 360 was clearly the superior version.

However, with BF3 the tables may well turn given the parity of BFBC2, their new SPU shading system (which is something not even Sony's first parties have implemented) and also the fully deferred renderer which has never been done before on 360 (besides XBLA titles like Trials HD).

It is really bugging me as I don't know which version to pre-order (and I can't just wait and see since I have to preorder to get Back to Karkand!)

On a different note, I finally got around to playing Bad Company 2 on 360 - is it just me or is there no magnetism/aim assist at all? It's harder to aim than KZ2 (and the default sensitivity is ridiculously low)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to see the "highly plausible" PS3 version on Jimmy Fallon's show. Now that I'm happy with the native resolution "1280 x 704" and MLAA, it's time to see if all the effects are intact and how much have been paired back. It would be interesting to see which game pushes the PS3 harder, this or UC3:).

Would love to find out more about their streaming system. In their last discussion, they talked about SPU shading "only".

Not really, LA Noire for a long time was a PS3 exclusive - a better indication of the RAGE engine is Rockstars work on RDR and GTA4 where the 360 was clearly the superior version.

Doesn't really matter given the one year head start. Most PS3 cross platforms in the early days are ports. 360 is easier to program too. RAGE had to pare back content to fit on DVD. They both have their strength and weaknesses.

geez I love this

byTww.gif

However, with BF3 the tables may well turn given the parity of BFBC2, their new SPU shading system (which is something not even Sony's first parties have implemented) and also the fully deferred renderer which has never been done before on 360 (besides XBLA titles like Trials HD).

I thought UC2 had some form of SPU shading, no?

Also Dead Space 2 is fully deferred on the 360.

Edit: beaten =p

Doesn't really matter given the one year head start. Most PS3 cross platforms in the early days are ports. 360 is easier to program too. RAGE had to pare back content to fit on DVD. They both have their strength and weaknesses.

Some textures are more compressed, that's the extent of the difference IIRC.

It doesn't really matter anyways. Don't understand why console comparisons have to be brought up in every thread.

Speaking of which, I'm hoping BF3 has true parity (or as close as humanly possible) so we can put these silly debates to rest (finally).

It will be interesting to see what will be native res.and AA method on 360,since it seems like the laid their g buffer the way it could suit eDRAM.

Can someone explain why 24p only for consoles please? Where is the problem? in Sony,MS network bandwidth limitation? How is possible MAG with 256p? Why not with 32p minimum? I will not buy new pc for 2000 Euro for only one game.

I believe that's due to technical limitations of the consoles. This game has dedicated servers but I guess you still need a pretty beefy PC to get 60 players on screen without graphical lag. BC2 had 24 players though and it was fine for me, but I guess PC owners complained about being capped by the consoles' limitations so they gave them the option to go up to 60 players again.

I don't know RDK... as Joker said, if this game doesn't make people switch back to PC gaming, nothing will.

And after watching all these clips, I'm leaning towards going back to PC gaming. BF1942 was some of the most fun I've had. I was very disappointed to find out how much smaller and how fewer people there are on all these MP console games.

I wish I knew what the system specs were going to be on this though, considering I'll need a whole new rig & monitor. I don't think my little i3 will handle it. :D

... in other words, it's a zero sum game ?

Do EA and Activision execs see it the same way ?

(I don't play both, so I can't tell)

I get every game in both series plus all the Halo's but they all play so different that I don't think anybody can switch from one game to the other every day very easily. BF and CoD feel very different in just about every action you do plus of course they have different strategies, despite having essentially the same guns.

don't know but the Devs seem to be poking Cod in the chest... ;)

here is an interesting pic...

http://i.imgur.com/dSlaK.jpg Link due to pic size

I guess Russians weren't too happy about the airport massacre level.

It makes me wonder what BF3's story is though. I think it has something to do Russia and US fighting over the middle east for some reason but obviously anything involving a war in the middle east is going to push some buttons.

Back