MS leak illustrates new console development cycle

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
A leak from the ActiBlizz acquisition court case has presented this image from MS regards developing an Xbox Series successor. I thought it worth sharing as indicative of the timeline for hardware design, including when hardware needs to be locked down. It's a 7 year journey!

1695115074833.png

Last edited:
Some key features Microsoft wants included in the next Xbox:
  • Next-Gen DirectX Raytracing
  • Dynamic Global Illumination
  • Micropolygon Rendering Optimizations
  • ML-Based Super Resolution
  • Extensibility Model for Faster Iteration and Innovation

So they'll have pretty much decided if it's ARM64 by now, maybe slipping a bit into next year. Hope it is, just for the sake of something different than another x86 SOC.

They tick off ML super resolution as a done thing on this slide. We know they had research projects, but that's very different to something that's an 'established project'

Suggests that AMD aren't working on their own DLSS competitor, even for NAVI5.

SRDNN.jpg

Also the NPU is listed as it's own thing. Suggests AMD aren't going to do anything similar to tensor, or that MS think they can do a better job.

NPU.jpg

Last edited:
The note on thin OS is a little confusing to me.
Does that mean that they have completely renounced to make a keystone or handled even for the next generation?

Also the NPU is listed as it's own thing. Suggests AMD aren't going to do anything similar to tensor, or that MS think they can do a better job.

Does not ARM64 have its own NPU's? I got a QNAP NAS with ARM CPU and the Mali GPU and it has a few NPU units.

Does not ARM64 have its own NPU's? I got a QNAP NAS with ARM CPU and the Mali GPU and it has a few NPU units.

It's a licenced thing, so guess it would be a case of whether MS think they can do a better job on a console NPU or not.

AMD have already designed their own matrix cores for MI300. Obviously that's not Radeon, but we're talking console hardware that's still like five years away, so they'd have plenty of time to integrate some evolution of these matrix cores into future Radeon GPU's if it's desired.

Making your own NPU is of course all the rage at the moment, but it really seems like for something used in a rendering load, like denoising or upsampling, something integrated right into the GPU cores would be the most effective option, no?

So, every "proof of concept" has been done by nVidia. I would guess the choice should be easy for the next GPU IP provider...

Last edited:
Some key features Microsoft wants included in the next Xbox:
  • Next-Gen DirectX Raytracing
  • Dynamic Global Illumination
  • Micropolygon Rendering Optimizations
  • ML-Based Super Resolution
  • Extensibility Model for Faster Iteration and Innovation

I like that they specifically mention a "swappable" battery. That's the main reason I won't ever get the Elite 2.

Regards,
SB

A leak from the ActiBlizz acquisition court case has presented this image from MS regards developing an Xbox Series successor. I thought it worth sharing as indicative of the timeline for hardware design, including when hardware needs to be locked down. It's a 7 year journey!

View attachment 9609
Ouch.

Someone is gonna get fired

Going ARM would be such a fascinating move and once again they would be throwing out every last bit of experience their developers gained and learned from years of X86 development, i simply can't see them doing that, but maybe that was the plan until Nvidia was denied ARM? And if Nvidia was the goal, where is the DLSS?

Going ARM would be such a fascinating move and once again they would be throwing out every last bit of experience their developers gained and learned from years of X86 development, i simply can't see them doing that, but maybe that was the plan until Nvidia was denied ARM? And if Nvidia was the goal, where is the DLSS?

MS dona pretty performant translation of x86 to Arm don't they?

Last edited:
MS dona pretty performant translation of x86 to Arm don't theu?

MS have proven again and again that they have the power to do mostly anything software wise, but this is bigger, one of the absolute strengths of this and the last generation is a platform that is more or less, a pc :)
Whatever 3rd party developers that are left will have to port their game to the XBOX Series Double X Arm platform. We all know how that works out.

Back