MS: 10 million 360s SHIPPED already?

Doubt it, but 100k-200k is likely. They do 50k in a normal week, at least double that for Nov, plus any huge single day sales for Thanksgiving (saturday?).

Probably sold around 150k in that last week. Not sure why that matters though...it'll be reflected in the Dec sales.

Well just trying to come up with a number to put against expectations for Nov. If they include this final week for Dec, which it looks as if they will, what are the projections for that month?

Doubt it, but 100k-200k is likely. They do 50k in a normal week, at least double that for Nov, plus any huge single day sales for Thanksgiving (saturday?).

Probably sold around 150k in that last week. Not sure why that matters though...it'll be reflected in the Dec sales.

MS reported 100k a day the days surrounding thanksgiving

I think there's a lot of confusion here, and who knows maybe I'm confused to...

But I think Scooby had it right in his post on the subject. "sold" means sold into retail, and shipped means shipped to distribution centers/warehouses - not retail per se.

This is correct as far as MS goes. Shipped = to distro centers, Sold = to retail stores.

NPD numbers

Maybe, thats why NPD numbers are usually off by about 20%. Since only tracking to the 25th of each month typically means you exclude anywhere from 16-19% of the sales day available each month. :smile:

Which from a statiscal stand point gets worse when you look at a calender and you realize that they excluded the last weekend of every month for 2006 except two. I am under the impression that Friday, Saturday and Sunday generated the most sales versus the other 4 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, thats why NPD numbers are usually off by about 20%. Since only tracking to the 25th of each month typically means you exclude anywhere from 16-19% of the sales day available each month. :smile:

that and Wal Mart and some other numbers are estimated

Again - if MS wants to get a chance to even try to sell 10 million this year, then they'd better have it sitting on store shelves already, otherwise there's no way to do it as people won't be able to buy that many. Since it's a huge PR issue, they can't afford to loose any sales because of a lack of supply, so they have to literally flood every single store with Xboxes.

And I sure don't see any reason why they could not have manufactured 10 million units by now.

On this note, I don't think this will be a problem.

I stopped into 2 Best Buys in the last 2 days. First thing I saw when I walked in the door? 2 huge MOUNDS of 360's. One pile was bundles with Carbon, and the other was the premium unit.

Each pile had about 75 consoles. In eyesight of both of those piles, the 125+ library of games for the 360, and a rack full of 360 accesories.

This was in both stores. Yes, 2 separate stores. Talk about a way to leverage against Wii and PS3 shortages.

Mark my words...This will be a record year for 360 XMAS sales.

Yeah. A millionish X360s for Dec NPD is probably a reasonable estimate. MS will come very close to their numbers (9.5+ million shipped by the end of '06) IMO.

because $400 is a LOT of money for most people to spend on a game console. (let alone 5 -$600).

The truth is they have already reduced manufacturing costs and since they can afford it, they can give bundles away instead of discounts.

Discounts run the risk of devaluing their machine compared to sony (which in their eyes is equal minus the HD movie play) by simply lowering the price now. Since Sony is so high and there are virtually no PS3s on the shelf they don't have to.

And allegedly GoW sold 1 mil from the 8th to the 25th so I'm guessing it moved a few systems too. ;)

I expect more of the deals all through next year before a price drop, which is also coming. When sony hits their $600 saturation point at 5-10 million, they will be forced to add-in or price drop as well. MS spent a great deal of time and effort making sure that they could always be priced equal to PS3 (when they expected $400 form Sony) and now they know they will always be able to be priced lower than PS3.

It's a dream scenario for MS to compete (nobody said win yet), and the Core system is icing on the cake.

Oh and to answer your question, I'd guess that some of these deals are retailers choice but that MS does cooperate as well with discounts.

I would agree with all of that. I still think the price drop will come soon as sony sorts out the production problems some time next year. I also can't blame them for not doing a price drop this year. In a backward way I think it would be a sign of weakness to consumers. I can't wait for next year because it will be damn interesting. Sony pretty much blew its first holiday season with the PS3 paper launch. By the time the production problems are fixed it will be that dreaded dead part of the year for bigger ticket items with people paying off post holiday debt.

If sony stays on top this generation I don't see away to ever beat them. The door is wide wide open for MS or Nintendo to claim the number 1 spot this time around. Honestly I don't think in thier wildest dreams nintendo or MS could dream up this senario we are seeing played out.

Pricewise, MS is squeezed by Wii. Would it be a good move from them to be priced at same level - or cheaper - than Wii? And, based on the huge demand for the Wii, I dont see it coming down in price for 12 months.

Pricewise, MS is squeezed by Wii. Would it be a good move from them to be priced at same level - or cheaper - than Wii? And, based on the huge demand for the Wii, I dont see it coming down in price for 12 months.

People shopping for a 360 won't get a Wii. - And vice versa.

They deliver completely different experiences.

Cheers

Yeah. A millionish X360s for Dec NPD is probably a reasonable estimate. MS will come very close to their numbers (9.5+ million shipped by the end of '06) IMO.

A million is in the bag, Xbox1 routinely sold 1-1.1m in Dec. Considering Nov NPD supposedly ended the 25th which sounds pretty early too me (and will push more big post-thanksgiving sales days into Dec reporting) I'd suggest 1.2-1.3 needs to be the min. 360 target in Dec. 1.5 would be nice for microsoft, but 360 has never had a gangbusters sales month yet. Slow and steady is more like it.

And if they get 9.5 they'll ship 500k to Bill Gates Grandma's house or something and call it 10.

Btw, I mentioned working in distribution for a "large retail chain and that I was gonna check what we pay for 360's..it is 380.06. So stores actually make a tidy $20 off the sale.

In a backward way I think it would be a sign of weakness to consumers.

Original Xbox had several early large price drops in several territories due to relatively disastrous sales (it was $199 by holiday 02) and seemed to do ok. Nope, 360's high price level is due to two things: Profitability, and microsoft thinks they can get by with it marketshare wise.
________
Sick From Prilosec

Last edited by a moderator:
A million is in the bag, Xbox1 routinely sold 1-1.1m in Dec.

But except for the launch, wasn't the xbox $199? Not saying they will not sell 1 million consoles or what not but it might not be really possible to compare the 360 to the original xbox in that regard...

Back