MS: 10 million 360s SHIPPED already?

22psi

Veteran
According to this site yes it has:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Has_...War/1165514003

Asked by the news service whether the company was likely to beat that outlook, Moore agreed, saying the Thanksgiving weekend was a stellar one for Microsoft and Xbox.

Numbers obtained by BetaNews seem to back up Moore's claim. Sources say the company sold as many as 100,000 consoles per day in the period surrounding Thanksgiving weekend. Numbers were on the high end of expectations, according to the data.

Additionally, Microsoft was helped out by weaker than expected sales of both the Wii and PS3 during the same period, indicating that shoppers looking for a next-gen console may have been opting for Microsoft's entrant over others due to availability.

While the most recent data shows six million Xbox 360 consoles sold as of September 30, internal data indicates Microsoft may have sold more than eight million units as of the end of November.

Reaching the 10 million goal is just now a matter of sales: about a week ago the company shipped its ten millionth console. And from the looks of things, hitting the mark may not be that difficult.

MS reports 'sales' as units that have been purchased by a retailer, and shipped from the main warehouse.

Total shipments would be the units that have been shipped to the warehouse, but not yet picked up by a retailer.

Yeah but let's not use that sort of thing though, because several Best Buy's near me have like ~50 each. MicroCenter had hundreds! But who knows what the deal is with that now; they stocked up in a big way for the launch of their gaming department.

I think it's best just to take the official news as it comes.

September - six million sold into retail

Today - 10 millionth console shipped to the warehouse

End of Nov - possible 8 million into retail mark reached

We'll get the definitive picture in Jan at some point, with the 4Q retrospective.

Last edited by a moderator:
it almost sounds like they are shipping them one at a time

No it's good phrasing though, because it makes clear number 10 million in the total run has been reached. If you said: Microsoft has shipped 10 million consoles... I mean you see where that could be confusing to some people.

wow, they have been selling them like crazy huh..??

i am sure the rush of everyone to the stores to get a PS3 or Wii with nothing but 360's available had alot to do with it

remember the Amazon.com $100 360 sale? they sold out of 1000 units in mere seconds

i feel that they can make 10million consoles. from now on the sales will go up exponentially for at least another year or two

Yeah but let's not use that sort of thing though, because several Best Buy's near me have like ~50 each. MicroCenter had hundreds! But who knows what the deal is with that now; they stocked up in a big way for the launch of their gaming department.

We'll get the definitive picture in Jan at some point, with the 4Q retrospective.

MS's "shipped" numbers do not include leaving the factory floor but from the point that they hit a distribution center in Memphis up to and including sitting on retailer's shelves.

MS's "shipped" numbers do not include leaving the factory floor but from the point that they hit a distribution center in Memphis up to and including sitting on retailer's shelves.

Right, did I say otherwise?

MS uses shipped = left warehouses though?

I think there's a lot of confusion here, and who knows maybe I'm confused to...

But I think Scooby had it right in his post on the subject. "sold" means sold into retail, and shipped means shipped to distribution centers/warehouses - not retail per se.

But I think Scooby had it right in his post on the subject. "sold" means sold into retail, and shipped means shipped to distribution centers/warehouses - not retail per se.

In an interview with Robbie Bach, he said MS uses shipped as units leaving the warehouses and he stated that Sony uses shipped as shipped from factories enroute to warehouses.

Wouldn't that mean shipped = sold to retailers? I am thinking it has to be bought by retailers in order to leave the warehouses. Just my speculation!

according to MS (I can't find the quote but I just read it) shipped is on and en route to retail shelves and to consumers homes from Memphis warehouse. I don't think they use "sold" at all outside of the shipped definition that I just described.

Edit:
here it is

[font=&quot]Q: It’s 10 million shipped, right?[/font]
[font=&quot]A: Yeah. In our case, it’s reasonably close to sold through. To make sure we’re clear, Sony does shipped from factory. We don’t. Our shipped means it has left a distribution warehouse in Memphis to a retailer. There is a big lag of six week to eight-week lag between what we called shipped and what Sony calls shipped. That’s the way we do the accounting.[/font]
from this B3d thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, what confusion. Ok though if Robbie Bach's clarifying, I'm definitely not arguing. 10 million to retail then! Mission accomplished for MS. :cool:

It'll be interesting how many shipped units they have through Dec 31 when it's all said and done, and what the spread is between MS and its competitors in the 10 million buffer they wanted.

(Thanks 22psi and Tap In for straightening me out!)

Back