MS: 10 million 360s SHIPPED already?

If they want to reach 10 million sold by the end of 2006, they'd better already have at least as many consoles shipped to the retailers. It's 3 weeks to Christmas, people won't hold off shopping for presents any longer.

I worked R and D for a company that sold test kits for microbial typing. The company being small and all, we all had other responsibilities other than the ones related to our job titles. One of my responsiblities was taking our last day of the month, quarter and year shipments that missed the last pick up time directly to FedEx.

I was told that its an acceptable business practice to book sales for items that were in transmit. Meaning as long as the item was in the mail or on a truck, plane or boat on its way to purchaser regardless if a payment had exchanged hands, it could go on the books as a sale.

It makes me believe if MS are reporting these items as shipped then they are recording them as sales. Therefore, even if they are being shipped to a main warehouse then it serves as a shipping hub, where orders are waiting to be filled rather than an inventory storage waiting for orders to be made . Otherwise, they just internally transporting units to inflate numbers, which would be way beyond stupid since Xbox shipping numbers are such a prominent figure when MS reports its numbers on its home entertainment division. Somebody by now either investors or auditors would of ask MS to technically define what "shipped" meant.

Rancid your sentence makes no sense. :p

Sure it does.

Re-read it.

Do you really think MS shipped, sold, or did anything to move actual console #10M into the retail market?

I've got a pretty good idea where console #10M is, and I seriously doubt it is on the shelves at Best Buy, or heading there, or anything of the sort.

(yes, I was making a joke about the wording of the sentence.)

Man, what confusion. Ok though if Robbie Bach's clarifying, I'm definitely not arguing. 10 million to retail then! Mission accomplished for MS. :cool:

It'll be interesting how many shipped units they have through Dec 31 when it's all said and done, and what the spread is between MS and its competitors in the 10 million buffer they wanted.

(Thanks 22psi and Tap In for straightening me out!)

lol, nope! 10 million to the warehouse, 8 million to retail.

MS's goal is 10million sold, but what MS considers 'sold' is actually shipped to retailers. So, when the article says: "internal data indicated Microsoft may have sold more than eight million units as of the end of November.", it's referring to MS's internal data, and to them a sale = shipped to retailer. Sp 8million shipped to retail.

Then the article goes on to say MS has shipped 10million, so that must be to the warehouses since we know it's not to retail.

I've got a pretty good idea where console #10M is, and I seriously doubt it is on the shelves at Best Buy, or heading there, or anything of the sort.

Again - if MS wants to get a chance to even try to sell 10 million this year, then they'd better have it sitting on store shelves already, otherwise there's no way to do it as people won't be able to buy that many. Since it's a huge PR issue, they can't afford to loose any sales because of a lack of supply, so they have to literally flood every single store with Xboxes.

And I sure don't see any reason why they could not have manufactured 10 million units by now.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36119

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/11/an_interview_wi_1.html

Interview with Robbie Bach posted by 22psi

Q: It’s 10 million shipped, right?

A: Yeah. In our case, it’s reasonably close to sold through. To make sure we’re clear, Sony does shipped from factory. We don’t. Our shipped means it has left a distribution warehouse in Memphis to a retailer. There is a big lag of six week to eight-week lag between what we called shipped and what Sony calls shipped. That’s the way we do the accounting.

Thats limited to NA or just to the US. He fails to explain how shipped is defined in relation to Europe and the rest of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again - if MS wants to get a chance to even try to sell 10 million this year, then they'd better have it sitting on store shelves already, otherwise there's no way to do it as people won't be able to buy that many. Since it's a huge PR issue, they can't afford to loose any sales because of a lack of supply, so they have to literally flood every single store with Xboxes.

And I sure don't see any reason why they could not have manufactured 10 million units by now.

Again, I'm not even discussing that.

I'm specifically referring to UNIT NUMBER 10M.

That one particular unit.

Which isn't on store shelves anywhere or in the retail supply chain.

I gather it's someplace like this:

Again, I'm not even discussing that.

I'm specifically referring to UNIT NUMBER 10M.

That one particular unit.

Which isn't on store shelves anywhere or in the retail supply chain.

I gather it's someplace like this:

Rancid, what are you doing. What does this have to do with shipping 10M consoles. We all get what you were saying. A) It was neither clever nor funny. B)It was off topic. C)You're wrong. Regardless of whether or not there is a console labeled #10M sitting on a shelf at Microsoft HQ, the #10M that we are talking about is going to be sold to a customer. Any inventory that was not sold would be on the balance sheet as a depreciating current asset, and would NOT be recorded as revenue. Which these 10M are. So instead of trying to be clever with semantics, how about we stay on topic of the discussion ? :D K thnx bye.

Rancid, what are you doing. What does this have to do with shipping 10M consoles. We all get what you were saying.

It has to do with the rather incorrect or sloppy wording of the article, which stated that "MS shipped its 10M console."

Read my original statement that was Oh-So-Confusing.

You're wrong. Regardless of whether or not there is a console labeled #10M sitting on a shelf at Microsoft HQ, the #10M that we are talking about is going to be sold to a customer.

Nope, not wrong. Re-Read the article that we're discussing. Re-read my statement. I'm sorry if it was so difficult for you and some others to understand.

So instead of trying to be clever with semantics, how about we stay on topic of the discussion ? :D K thnx bye.

Instead of babbling back and forth in an attempt to cover up the fact you couldn't understand a simple statement, why don't you contribute something to the discussion? Funny, not funny, or otherwise?

Ok? Thnx.

Month --------------- PS2----------Xbox-------GameCube
November 2001-----920,000------720,000----660,000
December 2001---1,940,000------700,000----550,000

Month --------------- PS3----------X360--------Wii
November 2006-----196,600------511,300----476,000
December 2006------?-------------?-------------?

Any guesses on what december will look like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Month --------------- PS3----------X360--------Wii
November 2006-----196,600------511,300----476,000
December 2006------?-------------?-------------?

Any guesses on what december will look like?

I'd expect the X360 between 1 and 1.5 million. The others depend on the supply... 300-400K PS3 at most; Wii perhaps a million if they can deliver them in time.

Back