Moving to England...

Xmas

Porous
Veteran
Supporter
Well, it seems like I'll be moving to England soon (just a few miles northwest of London), and I need to find an affordable flat to rent, maybe get a car, adjust to the English way of life, register with authorities, get insurances, phone and broadband internet ;), etc.

Basically, my life is going to change a lot, and it would be cool if someone here, especially those living in the UK, could give me some helpful advice, on things I need, dos and don'ts, what to consider when looking for a flat, a car, an ISP and all the important stuff :)
I guess there are a few things I haven't thought of at all yet.

My brother will join me looking for a flat, and we'll probably go with my dad's car, so for the first few days, luckily, mobility won't be an issue. But we still have to find a cheap hotel or B&B, and I hope to find a flat as quick as possible.

Reactions: Geo
i live in the South of England... near Reading to be precise.

feel free to pm me if you have any particular questions. you'll find a lot of it is similar to america (or at least that's what i thought when i went to manhattan and new jersey) except you'll probably think half the people are nutters on the roads for how fast they go. (you'll often find people going over 100mph along the motorways, and quickly through those silly twisty roads... not like your big open ones ;))

so advise for a car... get a smallish one - it'll be easier to park and manouver around the tighter areas. also remember petrol over here is.... well... extortionate. so no 4 litre hemi for you matey! (unless you like having no money)

ISP... pretty easy to find out. NTL do a cool package for broadband, digital TV and phone... so that might be worth looking into. Or tiscali do a good 2mb unlimited deal (17.99 a month) with the one annoying exception of having to watch your bandwidth during peak times (6pm-11pm weekdays, 12pm-4pm at weekends).

oh, and best try not to laugh at pikeys... no matter how silly they look. at least try.

radeonic2 said:
what you moving there for?
Got a job breeding ducks :D

rusty said:
i live in the South of England... near Reading to be precise.
That's actually not that far away.

feel free to pm me if you have any particular questions. you'll find a lot of it is similar to america (or at least that's what i thought when i went to manhattan and new jersey) except you'll probably think half the people are nutters on the roads for how fast they go. (you'll often find people going over 100mph along the motorways, and quickly through those silly twisty roads... not like your big open ones ;))

so advise for a car... get a smallish one - it'll be easier to park and manouver around the tighter areas. also remember petrol over here is.... well... extortionate. so no 4 litre hemi for you matey! (unless you like having no money)
Err... you shoud have read that "Location: Germany" below my nickname. I've never been outside of Europe. I'm quite used to getting passed while moving at 100mph myself, and that's even legal over here :D

Congratulations Xmas :)

It would had been a shame if any company wouldn't had picked you up immediately.

Xmas said:
Err... you shoud have read that "Location: Germany" below my nickname. I've never been outside of Europe. I'm quite used to getting passed while moving at 100mph myself, and that's even legal over here :D

lol, my mistake.... for some reason i thought you were from the 'mericas. :embarrassed:

well, same still goes for the pikeys comment ;)

CosmoKramer said:
Well, maybe the joke is on me but I think he got a job at a British video graphics company associated with ducks... :oops:

Oooooh.. It DID seem strange that someone like Xmas would go for such a career change. But hey i've seen worse!

Well done dude, congrats!

Most UK ISPs are around £30 a month for 2Mib ADSL, although there are some that'll do 8Mib depending on area (big city or nearby, Bulldog are good for that) for not much more.

Getting that and a phoneline is simple, just call British Telecom and tell them who you are and where you live. You'll likely have it all connected anyway as part of the house and they'll just need to know whos name to put on the bill.

Telling immigration you're here is simple too and Img will help with that no doubt.

Not sure what flats are like around Kings Langley in terms of price (but likely pricier than most places given it's an easy commuter spot into London) but finding one should be easy enough. Get K to help you :LOL:

House and car insurance I'm no help with, since I have neither (can't drive, house insurance is rolled into my rent).

Congrats again, adjusting to the UK should be easy. We're nice, honest! :D

Rys said:
Not sure what flats are like around Kings Langley in terms of price (but likely pricier than most places given it's an easy commuter spot into London)

Commuting into London easy? Well, relatively easy I suppose! I have a friend who used to live in King's Langley and he said he was once stuck on the M25 for about 3 hours and could see his house from his place in the traffic jam! :LOL:

He moved up North a few years ago though, just before the house prices went (even more) crazy. He also lived in St. Albans for a while and that seemed a reasonable place when I visited.

Rys said:
We're nice, honest! :D

Yeeesss.... We're verryyyy niiiiccccce.... :devilish:

Oh, just an update, Bulldog still haven't disconnected my line, so i still have completely free 8meg bband and phone line at my new place, after 25 days.. err...

london-boy said:
Oh, just an update, Bulldog still haven't disconnected my line, so i still have completely free 8meg bband and phone line at my new place, after 25 days.. err...

are bitching or bragging about free 8Mbit line? :devilish:

bitch ;)

Back