Moving question

yes humus but what hours are they working ?

Regular fulltime. Mon-Fri, 8h/day

But anyways, dont' let us discourage you.

Well, I'm not going to starve. Already at my current job I'm earning about 2-3x what my brothers and sisters earn. My biggest concern if we're talking money is actually taxes. I'm trading ~24% last year to maybe something like 40%. At least taxes are on their way down now in Sweden with our new government, so maybe it'll be a bit better in a couple of years. Also, you can't forget about things like vacation. 5 weeks is required by law in Sweden, versus the 3 I have now. Oh, and the biggest benefit of them all! Every other Friday is beer-Friday! Free beer for everyone! :)

Game companies are almost always like startups--they want %110 of you, and then some.

I'd be willing to say that I'm pretty confident this is not the case at Avalanche from what I've seen there myself. They make a big point of that when you talk to them, that's it's their goal to be a "more mature game developer" etc, which might sounds like pure PR-talk of course, but I actually believe them given what I've seen with my own eyes. It seemed like a very relaxed work environment to me. This is one of the reasons why I chose Avalanche. I don't deal with stress very well.

I don't have the 2007 numbers, but 2006 averages for game programmers are:
US: $82,107
CAN: $58,944
EU: $46,997
Wow, that's got to be some kind of biased average (i.e. the poorly paid programmers didn't participate). Everything I've heard is in the $50k range and often less. I'm talking about really smart people, too.

D'oh! I need to join your company! :p Wednesday seems like an odd choice though.
I agree. Originally it was because our CEO commuted from North Carolina, and was never in the office on Thursdays or Fridays. BUt he never came, anyways.

Wednesday, I think, more people are likely to stick around, rather than go home and start their weekend.

nAo said:
You can't compete with free donuts every Wednesday and Friday morning
True enough. We used to have bagel/donut Fridays, but then, um...we got fiscally responsible. :)

Wow, that's got to be some kind of biased average (i.e. the poorly paid programmers didn't participate). Everything I've heard is in the $50k range and often less. I'm talking about really smart people, too.

Christ, I hope that's not out in California. Here in Minneapolis starting salaries are around that for non-game programmers, and they ramp up pretty quickly. You could barely afford an apartment on that salary out in LA or SF let alone a condo or a house.

Humus: Congrats on the new job, I hope everything goes well! :)

Nite_Hawk

Christ, I hope that's not out in California. Here in Minneapolis starting salaries are around that for non-game programmers, and they ramp up pretty quickly. You could barely afford an apartment on that salary out in LA or SF let alone a condo or a house.
Exactly. Most game programmers do it for the love of games, not for the money. Other industries are willing to pay a lot more for programmers AFAIK.

Not all the companies are like that, believe me, there are extremely successfull game companies that don't ask you to work 12 hours a day or more and that pay you a decent amount of money, in USA and EU as well
IMHO things are slowly changing for the better, the industry is maturing even though not as fast as it should..

Marco

Marco,

Just noticed your location is in SF now. Are you out here for an event or something?

Just noticed your location is in SF now. Are you out here for an event or something?
I live and work here now, that's why I can testify that games companies are not that bad (at least some of them), in both EU and US

I'd be willing to say that I'm pretty confident this is not the case at Avalanche from what I've seen there myself. They make a big point of that when you talk to them, that's it's their goal to be a "more mature game developer" etc, which might sounds like pure PR-talk of course, but I actually believe them given what I've seen with my own eyes. It seemed like a very relaxed work environment to me. This is one of the reasons why I chose Avalanche. I don't deal with stress very well.

Almost any game company is going to have demanding hours at least as the release date nears, if not much sooner. I've not seen an example of one that's different (and successful). Obviously, the industry is slowly growing up from its garage mentality, but costs and dev cycles are also increasing, which impacts development teams.

I'm not familiar with Avalanche, but I'd be willing to guess that, based on your description, they are a couple years out from ship.

Humus: Congrats on the new job, I hope everything goes well! :)

Nite_Hawk

Indeed, you couldn't afford an apartment on that salary in SF. Salaries are quite a bit higher in CA, but it's true that the game industry definitely pays less than other software (or hardware) industries.

Back