Moving question

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
I'm moving back to Sweden shortly and chances are I'm not going to be able to pack everything into a few bags and take on the plane like I did on my way to Canada. So I was wondering if anyone has any experience of moving across the Atlantic, what shipping company did you use, roughly how much does it cost etc? I've googled a bit and most companies I find seem to have websites that seem to have been designed by a 14 year old in 1997 that don't state any prices or anything.

I'd ask the American expat community living/working in Sweden/Scandinavia. I didn't look, but they tend to have active communities/websites and should have the experience you're looking for.

I'd ask the American expat community living/working in Sweden/Scandinavia. I didn't look, but they tend to have active communities/websites and should have the experience you're looking for.

From my experiences in China, this is really, really good advice. That said, you're going to have to call around eventually. That's just how shopping for those sorts of things goes. They may try to weasel out of it, but if you have all your data -- how much stuff (in cubic feet, or perhaps in pounds and cubic feet or wtf i guess canada uses metric sometimes), both addresses, and date of move, they should be able to give you an estimate. Even if they can't estimate due to needing to weigh all the stuff, they can still give you their rates per pound and mile, i guess is how they'd do it. Good luck, and quite probably, steer clear of the lowest bidder!

It might be easier to ship to the UK and then either you pick it up from there or have it shipped to your home in Sweden. This is all dependent on you having a connecting flight in London and a friend you could ship to.

Here's a forum with some great info on international moving:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

And their page on international moving:
http://www.movingscam.com/news/internationalMove.shtml

My wife and I looked into this for our move to Australia, and we came to the conclusion that it's just cheaper/easier to sell everything and buy it new. Unless you just have a few boxes, then I'd recommend checking out the post office. In the US anyway, I've found their international rates are much better than places like FedEx or UPS.

We did contact those 4 companies listed on that international moving page, and they were all quite helpful. Just the price of shipping was way too high for what our stuff was worth.

A duffel bag, a length of rope and a buoy. A sea-worthy vessel! And budget friendly!

Why are you moving to Sweden again? No more ATI?

This is mostly for personal reasons, to be close to my family and that I have a girlfriend there now, but I also got a good job offer. So in early September I'll join Avalanche Studios and work on game development.

Here's a forum with some great info on international moving:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

And their page on international moving:
http://www.movingscam.com/news/internationalMove.shtml

Thanks. I'll shop around for prices and see if it's going to be worth it.

My wife and I looked into this for our move to Australia, and we came to the conclusion that it's just cheaper/easier to sell everything and buy it new.

That's what I suspect will be the case for me too, but I wanted to get an idea of what the prices are before I decide what to do. But it's mostly Ikea furniture, so chances are indeed that it'll be cheaper to just buy new stuff instead.

Unless you just have a few boxes, then I'd recommend checking out the post office. In the US anyway, I've found their international rates are much better than places like FedEx or UPS.

Do they ship large stuff like furniture though? Other than the furniture I think I'll be able to bring all the bits and pieces I want to keep with me on the plane. As an Air Canada elite member I can apparently take up to 92Kg with me.

This is mostly for personal reasons, to be close to my family and that I have a girlfriend there now, but I also got a good job offer.
Well that certainly is a Just Cause (sorry)... :oops:

Good luck with the move. It certainly can be stressful, but you also feel so much better when it's done and settled.

This is mostly for personal reasons, to be close to my family and that I have a girlfriend there now, but I also got a good job offer. So in early September I'll join Avalanche Studios and work on game development.

Cool, wish you luck there! :D

Indeed, I think we all wish you the best of luck! I can imagine devrel aren't too thrilled with the prospect of having to replace you, all the best at Avalanche!

So in early September I'll join Avalanche Studios and work on game development.

Wow, man, as if Avalanche needed any more shader talent! Amazing! Congrats.

I wouldn't bother moving Ikea furniture. Unless (sometimes even if) you take the utmost care, it does't ship very well. That pressboard stuff doesn't really like to be taken apart.

Do they ship large stuff like furniture though? Other than the furniture I think I'll be able to bring all the bits and pieces I want to keep with me on the plane. As an Air Canada elite member I can apparently take up to 92Kg with me.

Most of the major shipping companies offer surface pallet shipping rates, you just put everything on a pallet and plastic wrap it up. For just some furniture, that might be the way to go, especially if it's furniture that you can break it down.

I know the USPS used to offer surface pallet shipping for pretty decent rates, but I think it went away when they revamped their international shipping a couple months ago. Canada Post might offer something similar.

Most of the major shipping companies offer surface pallet shipping rates, you just put everything on a pallet and plastic wrap it up. For just some furniture, that might be the way to go, especially if it's furniture that you can break it down.

I know the USPS used to offer surface pallet shipping for pretty decent rates, but I think it went away when they revamped their international shipping a couple months ago. Canada Post might offer something similar.

I think you need to have a commercial contract in Canada to ship anything of significant size (like furniture) via Canada Post.

Thanks guys! :)

Wow, man, as if Avalanche needed any more shader talent!

Well, they are expanding agressively, so I'm sure they'll need everyone they can get their hands on.

Of course when you do join avalanche we demand you dish the dirt on ati :D

What do you want to hear? ;)
I'm pretty sure I'll be under NDA for at least a year or two after I leave though (don't remember exactly).

Back