Movie sequels that didnt suck

Npl

Veteran
We surely have no problem listing up countless sequels to good movies that were horrible, but what about those that dint suck. A couple of those must exist.
Sequels that only were better because the first part sucked dont count, Im looking for sequels to good movies that improved over the original. Chronological order of release counts, so Star Wars Epi1 is a sequel to Epi3 (the original from `79), and not the other way around.

Austin Powers 2:
Could almost be summed up as "more of the same". But then it had Mini-Me and the return of Dr.Evil in a talk-show was just genius. Pushes it a notch above the first movie. (And whoever claims a 3rd part exists should be shot on sight)

X-Men 2:
Again, more of the same, but the pacing is alot better. No long introducinary parts like the first one.

Indiana Jones 3:
Connery & Harrison are just a great couple. Additionally the 3rd part doesnt take itself as seriously as the predecessors, which makes it alot easier to swallow logical holes here and there and just enjoy the movie.

Evil Dead 2:
I guess this goes against my own rules (I dont consider the first part a good movie). Ive expierienced the Triology in reverse order, and I loved the 2nd Part. When I finally seen the 1st I was utterly dissapointed, it totally lacked the pacing and humor of the rest of the triology, yet its known as a horror classic - I guess I watched the first Part a decade to late. The second part destroys it in any way imaginable.

Some more for the list?

Not only Aliens "didn't suck" but it ended up being regarded as the best movie of the quadrilogy. I guess a sequel being better than the original is quite rare but then "The Empire Strikes Back" was also the best of the first trilogy. And apparently most people I talked to preferred "The Two Towers" of the three (not me though).

Not only Aliens "didn't suck" but it ended up being regarded as the best movie of the quadrilogy. I guess a sequel being better than the original is quite rare but then "The Empire Strikes Back" was also the best of the first trilogy. And apparently most people I talked to preferred "The Two Towers" of the three (not me though).
Yup, Aliens (2) definitly belongs here. SW 2 too.
Lotr is a special case, being filmed & produced concurrently AFAIK.

The origonal Evil Dead is very much regarded as a cult classic of its time. Its easy to understand that watching it now or even after the other two would make it seem bad or out of character. Plus the origonal was done on basically no budget. It was literally a group of friends who rented a cabin and made all the special effects with things they had with them or bought in the small town close by. I remember one comment from Bruce about them needing a lot of cornstarch for the blood and the gentlemen in the small market asked him with a very strange curious expression if they were "baking a lot of cakes up there".

Guess i'll nominate Kill Bill Vol 2 and Magnum Force / Sudden Impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terminator 2!

Well, if not better, then equally as good as the first. I liked the first one because it was darker, more mature, but T2 was certainly more memorable.

I liked Jurassic Park 2 a lot. I know some/many don't, but to me that movie feels more like a genuine movie and not like a technical CG/puppet tour-de-force,..

If one sees the original Star Trek movies as one series of movies (which I think is the purpose) then Wrath of Khan beats the pants off the original Motion Picture..

Die Hard 2 doesn't beat the original, but it matches it in my opnion.

Peaxe.

Robocob2

Aliens 2

terminator2

Back to the Future 2 and 3 (they were kind of planned though from the beginning so they werent exactly sequels)

Rocky sequels probably?

SAW 2

Edit: Oh and Hot Shots 2

Back to the Future 2? Huh? I'm pretty sure that and the 3rd DID suck.

Anyhoo...

- Star Trek 2 (KAHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN)
- Empire Strikes Back
- Teen Wolf 2 (Haha, just kidding)

Back to the Future 2? Huh? I'm pretty sure that and the 3rd DID suck.

Anyhoo...

- Star Trek 2 (KAHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN)
- Empire Strikes Back
- Teen Wolf 2 (Haha, just kidding)

DONT KILL MEEEEE :p

evildead 1 is a brilliant film, 2 is also, plus the first half of the 3rd ( which is easily the weakest link )
all in all the best horror trilogy made ( havent seen all the saw movies i enjoyed the first + have the second here will watch in a couple of days )

LOTR3
terminator2
the good the bad and the ugly
godfather2
bride of frankenstein ( watched 2 days ago)
empire strikes back
one of the harry potter films
the latest pirates of the caribian
starwarsIII (compared to I+II)

Terminator 2!

Well, if not better, then equally as good as the first. I liked the first one because it was darker, more mature, but T2 was certainly more memorable.

Yes, I agree completely. I still remember getting a lump in my throat at the end. Very cool movie. Much better than 1 in every conceivable way IMO.

Guess i'll nominate Kill Bill Vol 2 and Magnum Force / Sudden Impact.

Mmmm no. Kill Bill Vol 1 is better IMO, plus they should be counted like 1 movie anyway.

Matrix: Revolutions/Reloaded

*Runs*

Yeah you better run :LOL:

Kill Bill Vol 1 is better, plus they should be counted like 1 movie anyway.

Thats your opinion, its not law so dont state it as such, comes off as pretentious. Many movies listed could be considered one peice because the main story of the origonal ties together, Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, Good The Bad and The Ugly, Terminator 2 etc....thats what a sequel is. :rolleyes:

Aliens : What to say? this sequal had it all, good plot, great charactors, humour and terror. It was an awsome sequal :)

Thats your opinion, its not law so dont state it as such, comes off as pretentious.

Yeah you're right about that, poor wording on my part, sorry. I'll edit it.

Many movies listed could be considered one peice because the main story of the origonal ties together, Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, Good The Bad and The Ugly, Terminator 2 etc....thats what a sequel is. :rolleyes:

I disagree with this. Kill Bill was clearly created as one movie and then split into 2 (to either make more money on theathers or because it would end up too long, I don't know) it's very different from a sequel like Terminator 2.

aliens_shot2l.jpg

imo some of the best scifi movies belong to the 70's 80's early 90's

then, all the sudden, everybody could do computer SFX on the cheap and relied more on them to make the movie good than on actors and good directing...

T2 was probably one of the last movies to put CG to good use without turning the movie into crap. Matrix was cool too.
Matrix2 and 3 is a good example of movies giving too much importance to CG...

LOTR is special too. the SFX are really alot but you believe them because the storie plot directing and actors are goooood

Back