Movie Reviews 2.0

so your saying he went to sleep - wtf

Did I say that? No I didn't.

Carter takes the general injured during his escape from the stockade into a cave whilst being persued by Indians. The Indians won't follow, it seems like the cave is sacred or feared by them. Carter finds the cave is the mythical cave of gold he's searching for. Just then a monk-like figure appears and tries to kill him with a knife made of energy. Carter and the monk fight, Carter gets a lucky shot, and the dying monk uses a glowing amulet and tries to escape. As they grapple Carter (or later we find it's actually a copy of him containing his consciousness) is accidentally transported to Mars/Barsoom... where he wakes up and has his "WTF?!" moment.

Did I say that? No I didn't.

Carter takes the general injured during his escape from the stockade into a cave whilst being persued by Indians. The Indians won't follow, it seems like the cave is sacred or feared by them. Carter finds the cave is the mythical cave of gold he's searching for. Just then a monk-like figure appears and tries to kill him with a knife made of energy. Carter and the monk fight, Carter gets a lucky shot, and the dying monk uses a glowing amulet and tries to escape. As they grapple Carter (or later we find it's actually a copy of him containing his consciousness) is accidentally transported to Mars/Barsoom... where he wakes up and has his "WTF?!" moment.

Uh. I understand they wanted to add action in the movie, but that sounds just seriously silly...

Oh well, I guess I have to watch the movie at some point anyway.

Watched The Three Musketeers (2011), and I must say, it is one of the worst versions in existence, or at least that I've seen. I think the best way to describe it is what if a Final Fantasy director took a few cues from 300 and used a European cast for everything. Or something like that.

On the other hand, there are some neat set-pieces and (the reason I rented it) it looks quite spectacular in 3D, as expected.

I watched the new Pixar film, Brave, on Friday. Yes, I know it's really a kid's movie but I still found it a little disappointing in comparison to much of the earlier Pixar stuff.

The visuals were fantastic - almost photoreal rendering but for the characters - but I found the storyline somewhat lacking. Pixar were once all about the story but some of the recent releases since the Disney buyout seem to be lacking some of the 'magic' of the previous films (I'm looking at you here, Cars and Cars 2).

That said, I'll give it a 6/10 as the visuals were really, really good and overall it wasn't too bad at all despite the weak storyline.

Note: I watched Brave in 2D as the 3D wasn't being shown on the night we visited the cinema.

I agree about Brave, mariner. Heck, even my kids didn't care for it all that much.

Just watched Deep Impact on Netflix, the meteor-strikes-earth movie from 1998 that no one remembers. Somewhat controversial for casting Morgan Freeman as a black president, with a young Elijah Woods as the high school astronomy fan who discovers the meteor. And unlike most Hollywood productions, millions die as massive waves strike eastern N America, AFrica, and Europe when the space crew fails to stop it.

The scene with Tea Leoni on the beach with her estranged father recounting that "perfect happy day" they had as a family when she was little girl before her parents divorced is one of the saddest moments for me in any movie I've ever watched.

Uh. I understand they wanted to add action in the movie, but that sounds just seriously silly...

Oh well, I guess I have to watch the movie at some point anyway.

That's the way the book is. You find out later that
that there is a transport network between the planets, set up by a mythical older race that are revered as gods on Barsoom. This network is being used by the monks to destroy Barsoom, and they are beginning the same project on earth. That's how come Carter bumps into an incoming Monk and ends up getting transported to Mars by mistake.

It's really not that weird and comparable to other science fiction staples. At least Burroughs makes some effort at explantions, rather than just "he's magically on Mars".

I watched the new Pixar film, Brave, on Friday. Yes, I know it's really a kid's movie but I still found it a little disappointing in comparison to much of the earlier Pixar stuff.

The visuals were fantastic - almost photoreal rendering but for the characters - but I found the storyline somewhat lacking. Pixar were once all about the story but some of the recent releases since the Disney buyout seem to be lacking some of the 'magic' of the previous films (I'm looking at you here, Cars and Cars 2).

That said, I'll give it a 6/10 as the visuals were really, really good and overall it wasn't too bad at all despite the weak storyline.

Note: I watched Brave in 2D as the 3D wasn't being shown on the night we visited the cinema.

FWIW, I loved Cars. Cars 2 sucked.

I agree about Brave, mariner. Heck, even my kids didn't care for it all that much.

Just watched Deep Impact on Netflix, the meteor-strikes-earth movie from 1998 that no one remembers. Somewhat controversial for casting Morgan Freeman as a black president, with a young Elijah Woods as the high school astronomy fan who discovers the meteor. And unlike most Hollywood productions, millions die as massive waves strike eastern N America, AFrica, and Europe when the space crew fails to stop it.

The scene with Tea Leoni on the beach with her estranged father recounting that "perfect happy day" they had as a family when she was little girl before her parents divorced is one of the saddest moments for me in any movie I've ever watched.

Hey it is a comet man :) That was a much better movie than Armageddon though IMO. I was debating watching it again myself.

That's the way the book is. You find out later that
that there is a transport network between the planets, set up by a mythical older race that are revered as gods on Barsoom. This network is being used by the monks to destroy Barsoom, and they are beginning the same project on earth. That's how come Carter bumps into an incoming Monk and ends up getting transported to Mars by mistake.

It's really not that weird and comparable to other science fiction staples. At least Burroughs makes some effort at explantions, rather than just "he's magically on Mars".

Which book - can you point me one that deals with this? Sure, it's been 25 years since I read all the books, but that sounds completely alien to me. My recollection from original Burroughs text is that the teleportation was _not_ explained, that it was more or less just 'magic'. Except maybe in the last story that wasn't really complete before Burroughs died, where they ended up in Jupiter and other weird stuff.

Just watch the movie already, and then come back and talk more. ;)

Expendables 2. 5/10. It was merely OK. For me, the formula has run out of steam.

The charm of the 80's movies is just not there so they try making it up with more actors and cameos.

Expendables 2. 5/10. It was merely OK. For me, the formula has run out of steam.

The charm of the 80's movies is just not there so they try making it up with more actors and cameos.

The expendables 1 was like 3.5/10 for me. So I think 5/10 is surprisingly good :)

If you're able to give either Expendable film a score, then you weren't watching it correctly. Which is to do so with your brain in sleep mode.

I liked Expandables a little because I'm a child of the 80s. Just seeing Arnold and Sylvester in one scene is enough, but no way I was interested in rewatching. In that sense, imho, the movie probably wasn't pure enough - although they did fine, there really was no need for the 'new' generation.

Not quite sure if I'd be interested a second one, but like John said, my brain does need a holiday sometimes. ;)

When I sat through Expendables 1 I spent most of the movie feeling sorry for Stallone that he clearly hadn't been able to afford as expensive cosmetic surgery as the other old-guys in the film.

You have probably heard this already, but Michael Duncan Clarke passed yesterday, alledgedly the victim of a heart attack. He was only 58, but perhaps his years as a physically (very) big guy took its toll on him.

He was a great actor, and the only thing that made me watch that mess of a movie Daredevil to the end. He had a real screen presence, and a great vocal presence too, so RIP, Michael. You will be missed.

Back