Movie Reviews 2.0

Came across "the rite" on netflix. Not the type of thing I'm normally drawn to, but boy can Anthony Hopkins act. The climax act is something to behold, very much on a par with silence of the lambs performance.

Just watched No Time to Die. Overall a good movie, quite entertaining. It's quite long but because it's action packed so it does not feel that long.

The only problem I have with the movie is how the villain act toward 007 near the end, which is not very reasonable IMHO

I saw it at the royal premier
Ax4COtB.jpg

Just watched Dune. I haven't read any of the books, just played Dune 2 almost 30 years ago haha. Actually I have seen the 1984 version by Lynch, but I don't remember anything about it...

In any case I thought it was quite good, among the best movies I've seen in a while, visually pleasing, wasn't surprised that it's directed by the same man who did Blade Runner 2049. The worlds are very different, but something about the visuals were very familiar. The cast was good.

I have to say though and I don't think it's much of a spoiler that the movie starts with the text Part one and they weren't kidding with that. The progress is quite slow and for the running time the story doesn't move that much forward imo. It feels like a half or first 3rd of a story, much more so than for example Fellowship of the Ring.

To be fair, Dune was quite a chunky book with a good amount to fit in. Good job they didn't get Hobbit-era Jackson on the case or we'd be looking at 10-parter, at least. I'll watch the new Dune at some point, but I didn't really mind Lynch's version which wasn't too far from the book as regards the general storyline.

I still have the 4K Bluray of Bladerunner 2049, still in its wrapping, for more than a year or two now. Haven't even had a chance to open it.

Black Widow was … not quite what I expected, but enjoyable. It was basically more (way over the top, my main criticism) action and comedy than I had expected for a Black Widow movie. It was however interesting in the context of the whole series.

Yeah, watched it the other night and thought it wasn't bad. Not particularly memorable, but not bad.

The most comedic part of the film was Ray Winstone's accent - you don't see many cockney Russians about!

Speaking of Blade Runner, and then also "I don't give a frack" accents used by actors, Brion James wins the hold my beer award, imo. lol :)

Posted with love, I really liked the film Nemesis.

Go to the 2:18 mark to hear some of it, or (recommended) settle in and enjoying some amazing action. This is apparently where Underworld got the idea for the thrilling scene that had Beckinsale doing basically the same thing.

Lol, Sue Price is very fit, and I've read that the first sequel was bearable, but that's as far as I'll go.

Edit: Pyun did some really nice casting with Nemesis, especially given the budget constraints. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107668/fullcredits
JMS tapped that cast for three of the women for his projects, and they did other SF work, and several of the men are no strangers to the SF genre. Movie reviewers who weren't reading cyberpunk at the time the film was released might not have noticed its effort to reflect some of the sensibilities of the genre at that time. The Blu ray review noted that it strove to emulate several blockbusters that came before it, including of course Blade Runner. The reviewer noted that Nemesis went for an arid vibe whilst Blade Runner had a rain swept one. Funny enough, the source material, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was set in an Earth that was blistering hot, and presumably arid. (Which was part of why animals had died off, and the government of earth was promoting emigration. And population had steeply declined, which is why there were abandoned buildings, and androids were needed. Anyone who could work, even those very challenged, were encouraged to do so.)

P.S. My memory of DADOES might not reflect a "total recall", lol, of the specifics. ;)

Last edited:
I still have the 4K Bluray of Bladerunner 2049, still in its wrapping, for more than a year or two now. Haven't even had a chance to open it.

You haven't seen 2049? That movie also would have benefited to be seen in a theater environment, but I guess good home theater works too. The audiovisual impact is quite relevant in Villeneuve's movies, although certainly not their only strong point. 2049 was fantastic.

You haven't seen 2049? That movie also would have benefited to be seen in a theater environment, but I guess good home theater works too. The audiovisual impact is quite relevant in Villeneuve's movies, although certainly not their only strong point. 2049 was fantastic.
Yeah I think I'll actually open it and watch it this weekend, I had completely forgotten about it. My system needs a good workout.

Back