Movie Reviews 2.0

I can see how Dune isn't received as well when watching on streaming either. It was shot 100% in IMAX and is amazing in a true IMAX theater with a great sound system. Watching it at home on a TV would probably be quite boring.

Streaming? Where??
HBO Max. You'll need a US address, US card for payment and a VPN. None of this is illegal.

I can see how Dune isn't received as well when watching on streaming either. It was shot 100% in IMAX and is amazing in a true IMAX theater with a great sound system. Watching it at home on a TV would probably be quite boring.

I enjoyed it but it ended just as it felt the interesting story was unfolding. It's nothing to do with the visuals being impressive (or not).

Curious to hear how you and everybody feels about it, the reviews seem to be all over the place.
I went in with very little knowledge of Dune. I reckon I saw the 80s film maybe 20 years ago - which I don't remember beyond sand worms - and I have not read the books.

For me it felt a bit like BR'2049. It's a long film, which passes quickly, but not a great deal happens as in there are only a few big story/plot beats. I guess this is a sign of good directing and pacing given it's a long film and it passes quickly. But when focus on it, there are lots of long, lingering shots. Another way to look at this is, I am really looking forward to seeing where the story goes next. I think as I get older - and nearer death, lol - I like to squeeze more into my hours.

I went in with very little knowledge of Dune. I reckon I saw the 80s film maybe 20 years ago - which I don't remember beyond sand worms - and I have not read the books.

For me it felt a bit like BR'2049. It's a long film, which passes quickly, but not a great deal happens as in there are only a few big story/plot beats. I guess this is a sign of good directing and pacing given it's a long film and it passes quickly. But when focus on it, there are lots of long, lingering shots. Another way to look at this is, I am really looking forward to seeing where the story goes next. I think as I get older - and nearer death, lol - I like to squeeze more into my hours.

Heh, we were talking about Eternals, but your opinion on Dune is appreciated as well :)
I thought it was a great movie, but I also mentioned that if there ever was a movie that was Part 1, then that was it.

Heh, we were talking about Eternals, but your opinion on Dune is appreciated as well :).
Sorry, thread ambushed!

I am looking forward to the Eternals, but like you I have noticed reviews being wildly-varied and I'm also curious to see more takes.

You know the title of the movie when it starts is "Dune: Part One", right?

Just watched Dune. I haven't read any of the books, just played Dune 2 almost 30 years ago haha. Actually I have seen the 1984 version by Lynch, but I don't remember anything about it...

In any case I thought it was quite good, among the best movies I've seen in a while, visually pleasing, wasn't surprised that it's directed by the same man who did Blade Runner 2049. The worlds are very different, but something about the visuals were very familiar. The cast was good.

I have to say though and I don't think it's much of a spoiler that the movie starts with the text Part one and they weren't kidding with that. The progress is quite slow and for the running time the story doesn't move that much forward imo. It feels like a half or first 3rd of a story, much more so than for example Fellowship of the Ring.

Yes I do know that :cool:

HBO Max. You'll need a US address, US card for payment and a VPN. None of this is illegal.

I enjoyed it but it ended just as it felt the interesting story was unfolding. It's nothing to do with the visuals being impressive (or not).
I believe most of Europe also got HBO Max, I know Scandinavia got it with a "life time" savings of 50% on monthly subscription (39,50 DKK / $6.2 with 25% VAT).

It's supposed to be 3 parts, so that is why the first one ends quite funny. I like that they take their time to lay the groundwork instead of trying to tell the whole book in 2 hours.

I believe most of Europe also got HBO Max, I know Scandinavia got it with a "life time" savings of 50% on monthly subscription (39,50 DKK / $6.2 with 25% VAT).
HBO Max is not available in the UK, and I don't think believe it was available in Germany and Italy - or wasn't back n 2019.

HBO Max is not available in the UK, and I don't think believe it was available in Germany and Italy - or wasn't back n 2019.

It wasn't available anywhere in 2019. HBOMax did not launch until May 2020.

WIKI said:
HBO Max is an American subscription video on demand streaming service owned by AT&T's WarnerMedia, through its WarnerMedia Direct subsidiary. The service was launched in the United States on May 27, 2020, in Latin America and the Caribbean on June 29, 2021, and in Andorra, Spain and the Nordic countries on October 26, 2021. While built around content from the namesake premium television service HBO, Max principally serves as a content hub for WarnerMedia's various film and television properties, offering a range of original programming and library content from the company as well as additional content licensed through third-party distributors.

It wasn't available anywhere in 2019. HBOMax did not launch until May 2020.
Fair enough. Before COVID I travelled internationally a lot and I remember how limited access to HBO material was compared to Netflix and Amazon Prime. This was before Game of Thrones went down the toilet.

If only GRRM had finished all the books before the TV series got there. Sigh.

It seems odd to me how TV/Movies Media isn't available everywhere like how games are. Almost like that is a legacy business too deeply rooted in the past.

I am a little surprised that AT&T didn't pull an AT&T (bad decisions, bad management) and only have it available in the US.

If only GRRM had finished all the books before the TV series got there. Sigh.
He clearly got distracted by the production of the TV series. He was often pictured on set and I think they probably should have shut that down early on, forcing him to go and finish the books.

Dune is too big to be a movie. Some book series just are, same as Foundation. I don't think you can fit the Foundation story in to 10-50 hours of screen time.

A true Dune movie would be about 27 hours long methinks.

Dune is too big to be a movie. Some book series just are, same as Foundation. I don't think you can fit the Foundation story in to 10-50 hours of screen time.

Film adaptations are tricky beasts. What do you lose and what to you gain in transition to screen?

Part one of Villeneuve's adaptation makes a very good case that you can make a film(s) from Dune and have it be worthwhile.

I'd love a Dune mini series that wasn't as crap as the sci-fi one. It'd still have adaptation-itus though. You have to find a way to represent all that internal monologue.

I don't quite agree- just watched Dune and did not feel there is any need for slower pace. Was not too slow though, pretty optimal for me. A good adaptation, everything was there that needs to be and can't think of anything really missing, off the top of my head. Have you seen the miniseries? I found that as pretty much maximum in terms of minutes for the story.

Edit: Checked the runtime of miniseries, it was 3 eps and 4.5hours in total. So Villeneuve's two movies will be a bit longer in total actually, but as mentioned, pace of the first movie is spot-on for me.

Edit2: Watched it on HBO max. The quality is better than the old stuff on HBO (GoT was horrible artefact porridge) but I can see how it would be much more impressive in proper theatre.

Last edited:
So! I went to see Eternals.

Let me start with this. I have had a sinus infection for about a week. My head hurts. My face hurts.

So I had to be dragged out, all the way to Leicester Square through the millions of people roaming around. Also by far the most expensive seats in London and probably anywhere in the world.

Movie starts. Bit slow, bit not sure where this is going.

We’re 40 min in. Fire alarm goes off. We look around, we’re instructed to evacuate the building.

So now we’re standing outside. It’s cold. There’s another million people.

20 min goes by. The staff tell us the movie won’t start again so we can get a refund.

You can’t make this shit up.

Back